SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firewontquell

Perfect apartment but northern exposure.. what do I do??! help!

Hi all, long time no check in! The gritty mix has made my life so much easier I rarely have plant problems anymore :)

I am moving (from Boston to Chicago) and found a perfect Chicago apartment-- perfect except it has northern exposure! In my current apartment, I have all my small plants under a light stand, and my medium and large plants in an east/south window. In the potential new apartment, that exposure is not an option. HOWEVER, potential new apartment has two outdoor porches-- one southern exposure and one northern, so I could keep my plants outside all summer which would be GREAT. I am just super worried about keeping my trees (I have some big ficus and some medium citrus) alive during the time when they are not outside, given the northern exposure.

Is this doable? will everything die??? Or will they be ok since they'll be outside all summer?? I can get lights for my medium plants but it's not really an option for these huge trees.

I told myself I wouldn't compromise on exposure but the two balconies and prime location are really swaying me... so if you guys say it'll be ok, I WILL BELIEVE YOU.

Comments (3)