SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalbestyears

Any college financial aid gurus here?

Bestyears
4 years ago

I've come to know a wonderful young woman, (L) (now 27) who has had a rough beginning in life. Her mother died when she was fifteen, sending the father into a tailspin. L was in the gifted program when she was very young but the school district's program wasn't faring well, and so her mother pulled her out and homeschooled her from then on (3rd grade). After her mother died, L took over all the cooking and cleaning and care of the younger brother (who was also homeschooled). She did not go back to public school. This went on for a few years.

Fortunately, she saw the light eventually, and earned her GED, moved herself to a new community 2.5 hours away to escape the disfunction at home, and began taking classes at a local community college. She is a passionate environmentalist -has been volunteering at places to teach children about wildlife, since sustainability, etc. since she was 16, has lived her life as an advocate, reads and educates herself tirelessly in this field, etc. So with lots of great influence, she decided she COULD go to college and work in this field. She's accumulated about 20 credits (I think) at community college and she applied to Colorado State, (whose program she is particularly keen on). She went out there last winter to interview, and the dean of the dept., upon meeting her spent two hours with her and then told her, "I think you might just be our next Jane Goodall," which was incredibly touching as Jane is a personal hero to L. And she was accepted! We all cried then of course.

So, since then we've all been encouraging her, we helped her fill out her FAFSA, she's been searching for other scholarships, writing essays, and applying for other scholarships. She's been deathly afraid of debt forever, and rather than take any loans for community college, she works enough to pay for it, and lives incredibly simply of course. But we've helped her understand that it might not be the worst thing if she has to take a bit of a loan if it comes to that.

Yesterday she finally spoke to CSU's Financial Aid office and they told her they wouldn't be offering her anything else except loans, 2/3 of which were unsubsidized loans. She has already been awarded a $6000 Pell Grant from the federal gov't. The total bill is about $40,000/year. I am stunned, and of course devastated for her. She worked three p/t jobs this semester while carrying a full load and her income was $12,000. She has zero dollars in the bank, an old beat up car that's worth about $1,000 and no other assets. Her EFC on the FAFSA was $0.

This group has time and time again astounded me with its collective wisdom. Does anyone have any ideas? Any resources?

Comments (37)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company