SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Waitress Takes Tipping Into Her Own Hands

User
4 years ago

It DID NOT happen to me but it happened to a facebook friend's mother.

She ate at a restaurant. The food was good but the service was less than stellar -- read terrible. She charged her meal and left a normal tip on the card because of that less than stellar service.

The credit card bill comes. The lady keeps her receipts and reconciles her credit card statement. (I know a concept most are NOT used to -- LOL). Lo and behold that meal instead of $30 is now a whopping $50.

She, of course, calls the credit card company to dispute.

And off she marches to the restaurant to speak to the manager.

She shows him her receipt, he gets out HIS receipt of the same transaction and instead of a $5 tip -- it shows a $25 tip!!! With a "total" of $50. And you can see that things have been changed -- not overly obvious but there.

She shows him her receipt with the amount marked. He apologizes and refunds her $30.

She asks what he will do about it.

He said he would "talk" to the server.

She leaves vowing NEVER to return.

And, of course, on facebook she and her daughter are telling the story to EVERYONE!!!! It was their opinion that this probably was NOT an isolated incident.

I never heard about the fate of the server -- whether she is still there or not.

The manager rather than saying "I'll fire her" may have said "talk" because she may have a story as well. You know how sometimes they leave the cc receipt on the table when they sit a new customer -- that customer could have made the change as a "joke". Or one of her friends could have done it.

Someone on facebook commented that that was why they NEVER left a tip on the cc -- always in cash because the restaurant bill had an invoice and could be proven but you could not prove the amount of the tip (as in this case -- it could have been a forgetful old lady who got crossways in her bifocals and ended up writing a 2 in front of the $5 on the tip line rather than on total line).

BUT if the server was doing this (like two or three customers a day) because people just pay and never look at bills or reconciles receipts with statements, she is making a nice little illegal income!

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations