SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_334016793

RTA (Ready to Assemble) Cabinets

Michelle
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I just closed on my first home less than two weeks ago. The seller was doing a lot of work on it but ran out of money, and it was sold as is, so there is currently no kitchen. I know that kitchen cabinets are some of the most expensive components of a renovation, and I'd like to not spend too much but don't want junk either. For reference, I have a more or less 10x10' L-shaped kitchen space to work with, and I'll be the only person living in the house once the work is done.

I want to buy stock cabinets to save some cash and since I don't need anything fancy, and I'm highly considering RTA cabinets since they are much cheaper and easier to ship than pre-assembled cabinets, and can be assembled on site. I'd rather pay my contractor to assemble them (or maybe even do it myself) than pay extra shipping costs, especially because from my experience working in transportation, most carriers doing residential deliveries won't bring the items into the house for liability purposes.

However, I also want cabinets made without thermofoil, particleboard, MDF, or HDF, which I'm aware limits my options and may increase costs. I have a pale yellow wall and I would consider cabinets in white, oak/"natural", and maybe off-white or even cinnamon. Of course I would get a sample door before buying a whole set. Here's the color of my wall and my ceramic tiles, for reference:

I got a kitchen design at the Home Depot and they quoted me over $9000 for stock all-wood cabinets whereas I could pay less than half of that if I were to get all-wood RTA cabinets. That quote doesn't include shipping, installation, appliances, or even countertops! Not to worry for the Home Depot, though. They'll still be getting my money for other materials.

Although I know that online stores sell sample doors, I'd rather buy a brand available at a local dealer. I've been to one showroom locally that sells Forevermark, Fabuwood, and Adornus, but the latter two brands must be requested unassembled. They also have Wellborn but I think those only come pre-assembled. I know that some Forevermark cabinets are made with MDF/HDF and some aren't.

Anyone know if these brands are good, or would suggest any others? I'll see if anywhere else in my area sells them. I know another showroom in my town sells J&K Cabinetry.

Comments (13)