SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emho23

Heat pump - Carrier Infinity vs. Comfort series?

emho23
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello! I'm hoping someone might be able to help us make a decision about which heat pump to have installed in our 1914 bungalow outside Boston. We also have an oil-fueled hydronic radiator system which is not being removed - for backup heat when it's very cold. This is part of a whole house renovation that also included a lot of expensive insulation.

We already had the air handler installed - it's a variable speed Carrier Performance series one with a two-zone damper system (for upstairs and downstairs zones). We had been planning on having the Comfort 15 series condenser installed, but recently the HVAC contractor asked us if we would rather do an upgraded model of heat pump that would then be efficient enough to qualify for a $3000 rebate under a Massachusetts state program. This would be the Infinity 16 heat pump. We would also need to install integrated controls (which automatically switch between heat pump and radiators based on outside temperature) to qualify for the rebate.

All told, the cost difference after the rebate for the whole system with Comfort series condenser vs. with the Infinity condenser would be in the $3000-$4000 range (depending on costs associated with wiring for the integrated controls). The Comfort series is 15 SEER / 8.5HSPF, whereas the Infinity one is 17.5 SEER / 9.5 HSPF. There are other differences and features, but it's very hard for me to tell if we would be happier with the Infinity one, and/or if our energy savings would be appreciable.

Can anyone help me determine if the added cost for the Infinity series condenser is worth it?

Thank you!

Comments (20)