SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_959471055

Need help with flooring choice for split level stairways

cjzimmer
4 years ago

We have a split level house. When we had the house built only the upstairs was finished and a door was placed at the bottom of the stairs going down. So the stairs were all carpeted with the same color matching the upstairs living room. A few years later we finished the basement. The upstairs carpet was a builder's basic grade and is in need of desperate replacement. The downstairs was a much higher quality and I expect replacement is at minimum 5-10 years off. The landing has some very low quality sheet vinyl and is also under consideration for replacement. I definitely will be having carpet in the upstairs living room (probably a similar shade to what is there as I really like color and have no use for neutrals). Ideally it will be a very plushy carpet but I don't know if that is a good choice for stairs. Any suggestions for what flooring I should choose for stairs and or landing to tie things together a bit more? The only catch is I really really really dislike the look of wood floors.

Comments (4)