Trillium Rhizomes not sprouting

pandora(Z5 OH)

I bought some Trilliums and they came as root cuttings. They looked healthy. I potted them up in a tray, watered and kept in unheated garage about 12 days until temps didn't go below 40 at night. Then put them outside in semi shaded area with row cover protection.

It's been over 2 weeks and only 3 sprouts of 12. Should I continue as is or should I put them under grow lights? I am concerned that the soil has stayed fairly wet without drying due to spring showers.

I did carefully uncover one and the rhizome looked good and solid.

What do you suggest?

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

What can you do, but wait.If they weren't prechilled, they may not grow this season at all.

Save     Thanked by pandora
pandora(Z5 OH)

I ordered them from a company, so I imagine they were stored in a cooler in the bag of peat moss. I just wondered if I put them inside under my grow lights, the warmth might keep them from rotting and encourage growth.

I have several from previous years that are blooming great dispite the ground they are in is wet. But I bought those as plants, not root cuttings like I received this time.

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

One of my typical responses. Trilliums (and every other plant pretty much) grew somewhere where there were no humans to cart them in and outside. Let them be a plant and grow in the ground.

Save    
pandora(Z5 OH)

:) Kind of like Occam's razor or keep it simple. You are probably right. Thanks for the advice and taking the time to help out a fellow gardener.

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I bought some (possibly shady) some years back. They had already sprouted and rotted (foliage) in storage, so did not grow the first year, but I have quite a few now. Sadly I have only spotted two species though (luteum and pusillum). I wish the mix had included some red and whites..but at least they're getting bigger and better each year and have interesting leaves.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Regional Garden Guides Northeast Gardener's April Checklist
Revel in the wonders of spring by babying bulbs, sprinkling seeds for root crops and setting out some nibbles for the birds
Full Story
Landscape Design Small Garden? You Can Still Do Bamboo
Forget luck. Having bamboo that thrives on a wee plot just takes planning, picking the right variety, and keeping runners in check
Full Story
Windows on Washington is a local, family owned company focused on improving the energy efficiency, comfort and... Read More
We are a company that cares about our clients and the craftsmanship of the work we provide. Honesty, hard work,... Read More