CHKDSK Problem. Alternatives?

not2bright

Hi,

The other day I decided to run a CHKDSK (ScanDisk) scheduled scan, but when the computer rebooted and wanted to start the scan I got an error message. It went by so quickly I did this two or three times to try to read it and I never got the actual number of the error. It said the CHKDSK couldn't run because some "recently installed software" was preventing it from doing so. It wanted me to go through a system restore to get it back to a point where the scan could be free to run.

Well, I don't know what the message means by "recent." Since I haven't run the scan in nearly a year, maybe it means "since the last scan." I don't want to put the two user accounts through the inconvenience of undoing a year's worth of modifications by making my way through a dozen system restores just to allow for the scan. Is there a safe, reliable, free alternative to the (Windows 7 Pro) built-in Scandisk feature that would do the same thing, including making any repairs?

Btw, I don't know what software the message could be referring to. A Palemoon update? A Vivaldi update? CCleaner update? A Windows update? I don't really have any brand-spanking-new software that I've gotten in the last few months.

Any suggestions, including, as I say, any alternative scan to run, would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
badabing2

Try Easeus Partition Manager (free version) - has do the tests you want. Navigate around the marketing stuff (easy). Besides CHKDSK it can do a surface scan. You might also want to gab CrystalDiskInfo (free) that will read the S.M.A.R.T. info about your drives

https://www.easeus.com/download/epmf-download.html

https://crystalmark.info/en/download/#CrystalDiskInfo

Save    
not2bright

I'll look in to those. Thanks!

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

This is not an essential thing to do. Unless your disk is close to capacity, you're having file read problems, or the PC is acting erratically, there's no reason for a user to concern themselves with this.

1 Like Save    
not2bright

Well, in the past I've run a routine CHKDSK (maybe 2-3 times per year) and (although the summary screen went by rather quickly) I noticed that there were errors that were caught and repaired. So if there are some sorts of problems that wouldn't be found & fixed any other way that a CHKDSK sort of scan, I just figured at least an alternative source (other than the built-in one with W7) might be worth running occasionally.

1 Like Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

Are you using AVG?

If so, maybe disable AVG before rebooting to run the scan. (and reenable after the scan)

Similar question asked on Microsoft.com

The marked answer mentions uninstalling then reinstalling but "Divya R" suggests simply disabling, then reenabling. That sounds easier to me.

I'm not an expert though, just a Googler.

Save    
Winter

If Richard's suggestion doesn't solve your problem...then...in answer to your original question, you could run sfc /scannow in your command window. It's a "relative" of chkdsk but a little more intense. It will repair your system if there are any corrupt files and is the nearest thing to reloading your system from scratch. It takes longer than chkdsk but if you fear your system is in need of this tool, it's worth the time. There is one caveat. It will restore all your settings to their default settings so...if you have personalized your system be prepared to have to reset your chosen settings once this scan has completed. It's not a tool I recommend for general house keeping but if needed...it will do the work necessary to return your system to a healthy state.

1 Like Save    
not2bright

I appreciate the additional comments.

I'll keep the sfc /scannow option on the back burner in case I need it. Thanks!

No, Richard, actually I have Avast (free) anti-virus. The main difference, though, between me and the person with the issue in the link you provided is that he "recently upgrade" when the problem started. I've had W7 all along on this computer and had no problems whatsoever in the dozens of times I've run CHKDSK. It's just odd that I would get a message about some "recently installed" software causing the error message. Anyway, I'll try disabling (or uninstalling) the AV later today and see if that solves my problem. Thanks for the link!

Save    
jemdandy

CHKDSK is an old command from the MS-DOS system days. An example format for checking drive D is CHKDSK D. I don't know what the last system version was that could run this command. I'm not aware that it existed in late model PC systems.

Save    
dadoes

JemDandy, chkdsk is available on Win7. Am not at my office to investigate Win10.

Save    
zep516

sfc /scannow does not restore default settings . It simply checks "System files" and attempts to fix or replace them if found bad.

Save    
dadoes

Yup, chkdsk is available on Win10. Open a command prompt, type it in. chkdsk /? gives a list of available command-line parameters, same as always.

Save    

Related Stories

Furniture Back Problems? Try Putting Your Feet Up
Consider these alternatives to that one-size-doesn’t-fit-all sofa to avoid slumping and spinal stress
Full Story
Grasses See 5 Native Alternatives to Feather Grass and Fountain Grass
Enjoy the movement and soft texture of these California bunch grasses in your garden, and do right by your ecosystem
Full Story
Foliage Boxwood Alternatives Bring the Chelsea Flower Show to You
Don’t let box blight limit your plans to borrow garden design ideas from the renowned British event
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Countertop Materials: 5 More Great Alternatives to Granite
Get a delightfully different look for your kitchen counters with lesser-known materials for a wide range of budgets
Full Story
Lawn Alternatives Meet a Lawn Alternative That Works Wonders
Carex can replace turfgrass in any spot, is low maintenance and adjusts easily. Add its good looks and you’ve got a ground cover winner
Full Story
Flowers and Plants Garden-Friendly Native Alternatives to Overplanted Exotics
There are lots of gorgeous, wildlife-friendly native plants ready to make an appearance in your garden
Full Story
Gardening Guides 7 Low-Maintenance Lawn Alternatives
Turf isn't the only ground cover in town. Get a lush no-grass lawn with clover, moss and other easy-care plants
Full Story
Beth Goldsmith is a residential and commercial interior designer whose focus is to crease custom interiors, all... Read More