SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter

There's a stray cat in my guest room-- don't know what to do :(

We were walking today right before a major rain storm and heard a loud meowing. There was an adorable small cat (not quite a kitten, not quite a cat) huddled in a pile of leaves. It was about to pour. We couldn't just leave it. We brought the dogs home and came back and got it. It's SO friendly. It came with us pleasantly and purred when we picked it up and put it in a box.

The problem: the beagles are absolutely not cat-friendly in any way! We tried to see if they could perhaps co-exist by bringing the cat into the room while they were in their crates and the dogs went insane and the cat started growling. So we took the cat to the guest room but when we let the dogs out, they were running around like crazy which we can't have b/c we can't risk Molly getting super stressed 3 months after heart surgery.

We've checked w/ all our neighbors, no one knows who the cat belongs to. It is clearly a house cat, it scratches at doors and jumps on the bed to play with us. But when we leave it alone in the guest room it meows like crazy. And I can't leave my dogs alone to go up and sit with it.

My husband is currently upstairs with it while I sit downstairs with the dogs. But he has to go to work tomorrow and he's going out of town on Friday. For now, we've borrowed kitty litter and cat food from a neighbor with a cat (who unfortunately cannot take this cat b/c her cat won't tolerate another cat). I've emailed about 12 cat rescues and am hoping to hear back. I absolutely do NOT want to take it to a shelter because none around here are No Kill. But we cannot leave it locked in our guest room indefinitely...

Anyone have suggestions I haven't thought of??

Comments (78)