Planting the winter sown natives.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Planting has already started. There are a lot of species, and there is a huge amount to talk about, hence the high numbers. It would be fun to hear what the rest of you native plant lovers are doing this year! I've really enjoyed the past few months spent talking and learning and getting geared up to go. This has always been a democrasy. We learn from each other, we teach each other, we are equals. Feel free to hang out with us and share what's on your mind.

SaveComment451Like1
Comments (451)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Oops, it's democacy not democasy. Bear with, no autocorrect.This thread is for use by a few of us who are adding a lot of new native plants this year, but the discussion relates to the planting of all other natives, so everyone is welcome.

The winter sown bins baking in the cold.

winter shot

we have germination

Deliveries are ariving too. Gillenia trifoliata and Hieracium venosum.

And there are the plants i grew under lights.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Mackinley woods.

Unknown species

thalictrum thalictroides, rue anemone with pinkish flower

Elm species

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Mayapples

the road goes ever on and on; down from the door where it began.

so peaceful and quiet. Just the sound of woodpeckers, or are they the aliens from predator. Ok, maybe not so peaceful and quiet.

the Illinois and Michigan canal.

Ramps

the canal again.

merrybells, can i get this right? Uvularia?

a gorgeous mingling!

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This woods is loaded with Smilax vines. You need both male and female vines to get seeds. Not sure which species yet, but more than likely S. tamnoides.

Myrrhis odorata, Sweet cicely.

Thalictrum thalictroides, rue anemone

Nabalus albus, formerly Prenanthes. I very unusual genus in Asteraceae with some weird componants. About 5 native species. An interesting read.

Viola, Illinois has 23 native species. Would anyone like to wager a guess?

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

garlic mustard ready to wipe out some toothworts.

garlic mustard 1 inch tall with flowers.

the vector patch

i pulled out a bunch of ibh's too.

' For Doug! '

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Found it! Great pictures. I have a little rant. I am not big on rating purchases, but I am going to do this time around. I ordered my Monarda citriodora plants on March 7. Supposed to ship in 3 weeks. Well. They are still not here. After inquiring the last time they should have been shipped this week. Emailed again to see if they will ship this week and it’s like: they are growing, but not big enough for shipping. No effort on their part to contact me about delays and not really apologizing either. Another one not to be ordering from.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a shame. I sowed seeds for them, but it will be a while before I have plants. I saw a couple minty looking things germinating. I've had good luck with all my plant deliveries so far. Most of the rest of the plants are ariving next week. I'll try to get them all in the ground asap!

Save    
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

Uvularia grandiflora, you were wondering. Interestingly, I have it plus sessilfolia & perfoliatum growing naturally here.

Jay-your Blue Cohosh? Did it survive? Mine is just now starting to peek out.

Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The last time I checked I didn't see it. Maybe it was still too early. I'm not familiar with Uvularia or the different species. I saw something that could have been an orchid. Aquilegia canadensis is absent from most of the woods around here. It would look nice if it was here.

Possible native orchid

dead stump container garden featuring Ribes and Mayapples

Virginia bluebells

merrybell hill!

i walked that whole road pulling out every invasive honeysuckle i laid eyes on!

does anyone know what this is?

more carpet of Trillium and Geranium

wild phlox

1 Like Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Your mystery plant in the last series looks like something posted in name that plant recently. I guessed an ash seedling but Im not good at this. Nice pictures. I need to stop buying plants this year but those mayapples are so tempting.

Any idea what this is?:

The mystery Erigeron is getting flowers:

Aquilegia seedling made it through the winter:

I think this is the Aster cordifolius and Aster macrophyllus I planted last year, and maybe some echinacea from seed I threw there years ago. That erect clover leafed plant on the right, is it just clover?:

Could it be a bush clover? I scattered those seeds here a couple years ago too.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago

Jay-yours is Aralia racemosa.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip's mystery plants look like Monardas. I'll look at plants later. Can't right now.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I got a shipping confirmation from Prairie Moon. I totally forgot I ordered pale purple coneflower. And sort of that everything is coming in 3 packs. That’s a total of 18 more plants I need to find room for. And things are already getting wild. Yay for finally getting the Golden Alexander though.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm not totally sure, but the Erigeron might be pulchellus. That's a nice species. I ordered an E. pulchellus plant. The other plant looks like bush clover.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Laying waste to the garlic mustard!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow! That's a lot of garlic mustard!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

You are getting a lot done, Skip! Great job!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Theres still a lot more too, maybe another 1/3 to go. It only took about an hour and a half to pull this much so I dont feel that bad about pulling the rest. This infestation is what originally motivated me to only plant natives. We need to breed some caterpillars to eat this stuff and then it will be ok.

I would not eat the garlic mustard it contains cyanide toxins. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17146719/

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Is this Aralia racemosa? The leaves look a little different. Maybe because it just emerged. I never thought I'd run into it around here.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This is another noid. It reminds me of a barberry. I looked up Berberis and we do have 2 native barberries. This is the eastern species. It doesn't look like the plant in the picture.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=BECA2

Joe Hollis on Echinaceas. The pallidas don't like wet winters.
https://youtu.be/hq-Viy8YlMM

Using leaves for mulch is a brilliant idea!

Erigerons native to New Jersey. E. anuus, E. Philadelphicus, E. pulchellus, E. strigonosus, E. canadensis. If that plant is E. pulchellus, that would be awesome! Well done yu'all!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Your second NOID looks like a Euonymus to me. The first one still reminds me of Fraxinus pennsylvanica but there doesnt appear to be a main leader so I dont know.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You may be right. I'll check, thanks!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I put the 2 plants on ntp. The ash is a possibility and I think the other is an Euonymus. There's s weed in my ginseng bin I'm doing too. There shouldn't be anything growing in there for another year. There's 4 burning bushes I need to phase out over time. I'm not at all familiar with the wahoo or bursting hearts. Never grew them.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

How are things going in your gardens? Any idea what this is growing all over the place?

My seedling is still not doing anything. Any suggestions? This can’t be normal, right?

Also found some bird planted tomatoes today!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The flower looks like Triodanis. I sowed some of those, they havent germinated.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s it! The leaves look right. Thank you so much Skip! They are all over the lawn.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Hi, what's up? The other shrub is a snowberry. It's a host plant for the Vashti Sphinx and the berries feed wildlife. And it likes growing on shady slopes...perfect! Is that the pandurata Iris? I totally forgot about the Triodanis. My 2 Collinsonia canadensis plants from Toadshade came today.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay for more plants! I should get some tomorrow. It is the pandurata. Doing nothing for weeks. At least it’s not dead? How are your Apios doing? Skip’s should be out now at least, right? Mine is done with the little trellis and going for the fence.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

.One lone spring beauty has survived in the lawn. I'm moving it to a better place of honor.

Emillia, aunt Lucy

Packera glabella seedling

lawn covered in spring beauties

the spring wildflower bed with about 5 weed trees on my hit list. The multiple branched shrub on the left is an invasive bush honeysuckle. Probably the mother vector plant. I'm bringing out all 3 machetes!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Holy basil! Everything grew so fast!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Oh my, they did! Are they going outside?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, we have blue cohosh!

Nabalus, Saguinaria Solomon's seal false strawberry.

My Maianthemums, both species are alive and well, great news.

Maianthemum

Aquilegia canadensis and friends.

The New Jersey Tea is starting to leaf out.

Silene regia

Silene stellata

Rumex, it's staying for the butterflies.

Manfreda, the northernmost agave.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

As soon as I'm sure it won't dip below 45 at night, they are all going out. I won't start so early next time. My Gomphocarpus have flower buds too.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This is a weed. I don't know what it is? It is Ranunculus abortivis as identified by floral!

Agastache scrophulariifolia

A Datura that might have survived the winter in the south facing microclimate. I was surprised to see it so far along this early.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, my Apios plants still haven't shown up. I think it's still too cool here. Did yours come up yet Skip?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice progress pics! I haven't seen my apios sprouts yet. I planted them maybe 2-3" deep, is that too deep?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Love seeing all these pictures. It takes some googling to look up some of the plants. Learning a lot. Did you put the weed from your ginseng plant on Name that plant? Didn’t see that one.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

No, not yet. I have another weed too. There are a trillion little seedlings and I don't know what they are. I'm just about finished sowing the annuals. These are what I've sowed. Zowie Flame Zinnia, Standing cypress, green shiso, Drummond Phlox, American basketflower, Zinnia Giant Double Canary Bird, Edible chrysanthemum, Zinnia Forecast, Snow parsley, Verbena bonariensis, Gomphrena globosa Carmine, Cosmos sensations, Zinnia Giant flowered mix, Moss Verbena, Verbena teniusecta , Zinnia Dahlia flowered mix, Gomphrena Fireworks, Zinnia giant cactus flowered mix, Cosmos gazebo, Cowpen daisy, Gaillardia aestivalis, Salvia coccinea, Helenium amarum, red shiso, Pilea pumila, Sedum glaucophyllum, buffalo grass, Senna occidentalis, Impatiens balfouri, Zinnia pinwheel mix, Cosmos sulphurus.

Save    

Jay-you are right in the zone for Aralia racemosa. Did you start those seeds I sent?

https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/spikenard

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes. I winter sowed all the seeds you sent me.

There is another clearweed native to our areas. Pilea fontana. Pilea microphylla, gunpowder plant is native to South Carolina. They need moisture or they dissapear.

https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/black-fruited-clearweed

Here's another plant from the woods that's great for wildlife. Snowberry.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/trees/plants/snowberry.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=snowberry&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLjfuypoLiAhXPna0KHSw9AG4Q_AUIEygB&biw=320&bih=530

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Strut your gardening stuff like a rock star.

https://youtu.be/LZz9UFqNPxk

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, the weed i submitted to name that plant was the same weed i id'd for you a few weeks ago. The pandurata looks healthy even if it's not growing.

A mysterious package arived. It was the immortality vine, Gynostemma pentaphyllum.

there won't be any bare soil to see when I'm finished with this bed. The Claytonia transplants are adjusting well.

this is the unknown but I'm guessing another Packera glabella so maybe no ntp.

My germinated lupins don't look so good. They are yellowing. I wish I could grow beautiful, gorgeous native lupins like some other people lol! :(

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s funny with the plant ID!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm not sure what it is. I'm submitting it. Everything is coming all at once. I will be very busy.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

So you already got your immortality vine? The ones I potted up for you seem to be growing. Guess you will not need them.

I also got my plants this morning. Mail was early. It was 88 degrees earlier. Not great planting weather, but I got them in before the thunderstorm. False nettle for the admiral in the front.

Stumbled across a patch of these in the grass. Didn’t one of you post a picture of similar flowers before?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's not the healthiest looking vine. I will need seeds for next year and they won't make them up here. They don't make seeds in North Carolina either. Maybe there in South Carolina they do. Now I'm always going to want the rare 7 leaved subspecies that the German place was selling.

Save    

You maybe better send that one off the NTP Iris. Looks to me like a Blue Eye Grass except it ain't blue.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I think maybe it’s something close to Sisyrinchium micranthum? Going to look into it a bit more. There is another plant I might have to put on NTP. We are keeping them busy. The Insect ones, too. Well, that might just be me.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I finished pulling the flowering garlic mustard around my property, then mowed. I love gardening but I hate mowing! I saw several of what I think is Ageratina altissima, and some the other bonesets from last year. I pulled the garlic mustard from that weedy mess by the street too, saw a lot of canada goldenrod coming back. I saw some other unknown plants growing in there too, a thorny plant with small silvery leaves. A bunch of my common milkweeds are coming back!

Any idea what this plant is?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The one that looks like goldenrod or the one that looks like maple? With my amateur eye of course.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The goldenrod looking one. I removed all the maple seedlings

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

There is a white blue eyed grass or is it a blue white eyed grass. It' native to SC.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I just (finally) planted my Sweet birch out in the yard. Then planted the Lonicera sempervirens right next to my deck. Full sun up top and a railing to climb on with a fully shaded root system, this thing should go gang busters! Supposed to get 1-2" of rain tomorrow. I also saw my Packera aurea from last year isnt completely dead and sent a runner out about a foot away. Bliss!

Does anyone else plant directly in the lawn this way: hoe or weedwack the grass and weeds down to the soil, dig a hole, plant a little high, then mulch? Whats the point of removing the sod?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I remove the grass/ weeds about the size I want my mulch circle to be. I figure otherwise they will poke through the mulch within a week and might get all the water intended for the tree.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Any idea what this might be? The flower looks a bit like some clover. Might need some better pictures if the weather clears up tomorrow.

Skip-please do save some of that Packera seed this summer. I'm in dire need!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Dandy the plant from last year didn't flower but the one I bought this year has flowers I'll see if I can get seeds from it.

Iris I have no idea about your plant

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I just saw that weed on a weed list. The Carolinas I think. Oysterplant? I don't remember. Skip, can you save me a few Packera seeds too. I thought I put on a link about the white blue eyed grass. I saw some thorny Ribes in flower growing in full sun. I should be able to tell which one it is now by the flower. I dropped my phone at the park and had to go back and look for it in the dark. There is s lot around here to explore.

1 Like Save    
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I thought your prostrate weed was carpetweed, Mollugo, but the flowers don't match. I'd put it on name that plant.

Ribes missouriense

Ribes missouriense

unknown species

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, my immortality vine isn't looking very good. I put it out in the sun and it wilted. The common milkweeds are starting to appear. Can you see yours yet Skip? I wanted to order some Trillium cernuum and the only nursery that had it was Kollar nursery. Do you know a local nursery that has it Skip? My Monarda citriodoras have germinated.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I haven't found any local places with Trillium cernuum either. My milkweed did show up through the dead cover crop :) theres at least 6, which will probably multiply.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Has anyone seen Trillium cernuum in the wild? I will have to research where it can be found.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I hope your vine recovers. Otherwise you have a backup here. Just say the word. I am jealous of the citriodora. Who knows when I will ever get mine. Got a butterfly garden/ insect question. Hope someone is around there later. These forums are awfully quiet.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I can send you citriodora plants once they are big enough Iris. S lot of us still don't have caterpillars, that's why the forum is still slow. My new weed is a host plant. I think you can use its roots as a horseradish substitute also. If the vine does die, I'm going to try to get a replacement first. I took it out of the box as soon as it arrived.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well, they have to ship my plants eventually, right? Definitely not a seller I will order from again. Common snout butterfly is back! I have more than enough hackberry around. Glad I managed to take some small ones out before it was too late.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The weather this weekend has been very interesting. Picture from just now.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I am hoping to see some snout butterflies and cats this year. I left a few hackberries around for them. Non stop things to do. I pruned a couple burning bushes close to the ground. Once I have enough plants growing around them they are coming out. I found what I think is a Prunus virginiana at the corner of the yard. What a beautiful sight it was. A wild cherry for sure. I want to put 3 islands on the west side of the yard to screen my neighbors. Maybe have 1 Prunus in each island. The 1st one is already there, but it's growing in a thicket of buckthorns and white mulberries My shooting star has its first white flower. Did you ever find out what that white blue eyed grass plant was? Nice rainbow!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I didn’t find out yet. Got to look if I have usable pictures for the other one for NTP, too. I was more concerned about the eggs on my milkweed, but I guess I figured that one out. Now is the time all kinds of unknown insects are showing up, too. It’s fascinating. This was on my porch last night. They usually like woody areas. Guess I did plant enough trees by now to qualify :)

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That is a strange looking bug. What kind of eggs were on your milkweed?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The bug is glow worm. I think they are the Virginia tiger moth eggs.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Do just the male moths have those big antennae?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

As far as I know, that’s the way it is with all of them.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Have you guys grown Hibiscus coccineus? I saw someone mention hardy hibiscus and my search to learn about that plant led me off on a tangent to Hibiscus coccineus. What a bizarre plant.

Iris nice pics, crazy to think how far ahead you are down there. I saw some small cabbage whites yesterday and some tent caterpillar webs, but thats the best so far. The wisteria is flowering on the roadsides. My lance leaf coreopsis is at least two times larger than I expected it to be, hope it actually flowers. Those are the yellow flowers you posted the other day right?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I haven't grown Hibiscus coccineus but I would. That plant was on ntp for a while and I ID'd it. The leaves resemble cannabis leaves. If it's a perennial it wouldn't be hardy here. I like the look of it. The other one I'm interested in is the one they use the dried petals to make Hibiscus tea. Maybe next year lol. I can just rake out the ash pile and add something acidic to balance the ph. Major things going on. I can't wait to show something picture worthy. I have the little yellow weed Hibiscus trionum. I sure hope both my species of Callirhoe germinate. I'm thinking those are the only plants I'm growing from Malvaceae. They are loved by mammalian herbivores. That's not good. My hostas were already nibbled. No big deal because they're hostas lol. The deer can have them all.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have the hibiscus. It’s actually the only one of mine I know the name of. Still have one in a pot from last Spring, too. Should find a spot for that one. And yes, the yellow flowers are lance leaf coreopsis.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yellow flowers? I don't see any pictures. Was that a pincusion Gaillardia suavis you showed Iris? Not seeing Coriopsis.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The picture with the coreopsis was from sometime last week.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

She posted the pictures of the coreopsis last thursday without a label. You have to click "load more comments" near the start of the thread to see the picture since its older now.

I grow hardy Hibiscus way up here. Not sure if mine is coccineus or not. The store bought ones are hit or miss for me. I just too far north but those dinner plate size flowers are worth the challenge. The ones I'm growing now have smaller 5" blooms that only last a day. They like more swampy land than I can give them and over time create a giant root ball, requiring a large amount of space.

Some pics from my former garden in zone 4 farther south of here.

Lord Baltimore

Un-named but real hardy. Blooms look like they've been photo shopped!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Gorgeous pictures, Dandy! Do yours have problems with the deer and sawflies?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Love how there is something new every day at this time of year. First of my mints are flowering.

So is the winterberry

and not much left on this milkweed

Had a Giant Swallowtail lay eggs on the Rues today, too.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Thanks for all the pics Dandy and Iris! I grew a red Lord Baltimore for a few years. It would always sag. It got on my nerves. It had big red dinner plate flowers. I remember growing some nice native marshmallow once. I tried scattering seeds for the locally endangered Kankakee mallow but no seedlings showed. I'm thinking the deer would eat them all. That's not the showy milkweed, is it Iris? The smaller Apios tubers from Illinois that I planted still haven't shown. I put 2 nice sized tubers in a starter pot today. One had growth already coming out. There were still 3 tubers in the frige. 1 was rotten but the 2 others were nice. I was reading about pin cherries. The chipmunks are digging around my plants again. I flooded out 2 holes. I moved the Cardamine pensylvanica plant and 3 Packera glabellas into the raised spring wildflower garden. When they drop their seeds they will stay in that bed. I'm taking out the few hostas, alliums, and lillies of the valley and making it 100% native. Hey Dandy, it's pretty cut and dry isn't it? Either native or non native! I can't believe it's less than 2 weeks til the native plant sale. Time is flying so fast.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

https://wildridgeplants.com/

Skip, have you heard of this nursery? It's in Pohatcong, New Jersey. That near you? Get some pho!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, it’s the fasicularis. I will probably never see it flower, it’s the first one to be eaten down to nothing. The common one is going to flower soon. The milkweed bugs are waiting.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I didn't know you had fascicularis. Do you have it in a dry spot? It ain't even close to your zone! The A. pumila and stenophylla are similar looking, hardy, thin leaved northern species. This year will be a crash course of new milkweed species. I need to thin out the jewelweeds. There are way to many.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s kind of on a slope, so it’s never standing in water. Other than being the first one eaten, it is doing well. Rub in the jewel weeds! My single seedling rescued from the walkway is still alive. My daughter is hoping to take some little sprigs of the broadleaf mountain mint and the downy woodmint back to New York when she is coming home this weekend. Who knew it’s endangered up there?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I would send you my extra jewelweeds, but they would die on the trip. There are always a lot of the seedlings in the spring but all the dry spells cull most of them out. My Aralia spinosa and Erigeron pulchellus are coming tomorrow. The fire under my is getting higher! I live on a huge slope. Litterally and figuratively. :)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice pics all. What kind of mint is that? I have some kind of volunteer hibiscus here too, not sure what species.

Jay i sent you a link to wildridge plants because they sell stone root (when its in stock anyway.) They are about 75 miles away from me.

I saw at least 3 of my Apios tubers have little sprouts coming out of the soil now, like a little green stems, the leaves havent even grown yet. A LOT of the common milkweed survived, this should be interesting and hopefully doesnt turn into an uncontrollable situation. The soil is on the wetter side and the sun isnt all day sun, I hope that limits them somewhat. There are a lot of strange weeds everywhere now. I was hoping that bush clover looking thing would continue to extend the rachis and turn out the be the Polemonium reptans I planted last year, but it grew more leaves, got taller and still looks like some kind if clover.

I have to make a little bag out of row cover fabric and tie it over the packera tomorrow morning because it is going to seed already.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I already got my 2 stoneroot plants from Toadshade in New Jersey. Anybody want seeds?

Hieracium venosum, Collinsonia canadensis, Gillenia trifoliata.

They were still tussled up, but they've stretched out since. I had to sit for this, hence the clown foot. A few more precious specimens.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay for Apios all around! The mint is the downy woodmint. My common milkweed is crazy. I put my clover looking one on NTP. Cute, but looks like once again not something I want to keep.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, can’t wait to see all your plants planted and growing! I am as excited about all of yours as I am about mine.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I like that downy woodmint too Iris. Maybe we can trade plants in the fall. I can get some ashy sunflower too. I see bumblebees searching around the house for nest sites. It's like they know what I'm up to lol!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I would love to send you some. By Fall you might be out of space for new plants though.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't know Iris. I'd love to get them now but I don't have any plants big enough yet to send you something in return. Once they are big enough, you can have your pick of anything. I was hoping to send you some milkweeds anyways.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, thats a Hybiscus syriacus. They are hardy and can have a lot of self sown seedlings. They get gnarly when they get old and sort of fall apart. I had one the same color as your's and it fizzled out after several years. I think my Weigelia shaded it out. Not native. From Syria maybe?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Obviously there is no keeping score of who is giving what. At least not in my mind. I am still waiting for my sister in law to show up with her wheelbarrow to get a dozen or so Frostweeds. Some plants are just too happy and I hate to just throw them on the brush pile.

Save    

Iris-I never had trouble with deer on the Hibiscus, and I don't know what sawflies are. Maybe too cold for them.

Skip-nice looking Hibiscus. hope it's a native.Put it on NTP? I'd like to know what it is.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Plants are growing

This is going to transform, there is little bluestem and other taller plants planted within the Phlox, it is still mostly dormant and was trimmed in late winter to below the level of the Phlox.

See the Rudbeckia laciniata in the background? Lol. The empty space next to it has 7 Panicum virgatums planted in it. The arching shrub at the end is a Physocarpus opulifolius.

The middle looks empty but those small plants will grow larger, there is a Ceanothus americanus, a Schizachyrium scoparium "carousel", 2 Rudbeckia fulgida and 1 Hypericum prolifocum in there. Many of the plants were planted last year from wintersown seeds.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's looking good Skip! Can't wait to see it after all your new additions. They call that Hibiscus Rose of Sharon. What kind of soil is your blue lupin growing in? I thought they liked sandy soil with good drainage.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, wikipedia says that Trifolium arvense comes from Europe, but Illinois wildflowers has it listed? Bonap has it in blue as not native. I can't undetstand why Illinois wildflowers has something about it. It is a butterfly host plant.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/rf_clover.html

I looked at the full Wild Ridge catalog. Very nice plants. There are several I want, but a few standouts are the Geum rivale, Ribes cynosbati, and the Packera obovata. If anyone wants seeds for any of the spring ephemerals let me know soon. My Dodecatheon media has a lot of flowers. I want to get the 2 other native shooting stars, D. amethystinum, and D. frenchii also.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The Lupine is in that front bed, its kind of sandy, drainage is good. Its getting crowded by that Penstemon which was just a seedling last year but now its going crazy.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

This is looking really great, Skip!

Jay, I was hoping the clover is a native plant. I really like the color of the leaves. Oh well.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You probably already have a lot of native plants that can host the same insects so just get rid of the clover, it could be invasive. If it just showed up in your yard that's not a good sign.

Skip, did you add extra sand to the planting hole when you planted the lupin? You just have the one plant?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

No I didnt add any sand. Just 1 plant now. There were 2 last year but one was small and stunted and didnt come back.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Ok, you just naturally have sand there. I'll probably add a little sand to the planting hole. That's what I did in the past when I grew them. The Zizzia has flower buds. All the flowers on the bluebells that were moved have more pink to them? It's 48 here and wet.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The milkweed with the caterpillar I posted the picture of yesterday didn’t have a single leaf left late this morning. Looked around for the caterpillar and he was on a not even 2 inch hairy ball seedling. Sigh. I have him on a nice sized swamp milkweed now. That should be more than enough.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

They sure like to wander off. It looks like there are going to be lots of Monarch cats this year too yoo hoo!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I havent seen any monarchs in my yard but I have seen them hanging around garden centers down the road, hope they find their way here.

I broke down and ordered a couple of Zizia aureas. My seeds are not sprouting and I cant stand waiting anymore lol. Hopefully a couple Zizia aptera seeds germinate, then I'll have both species.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

How long are you all keeping the pots/ bins with seeds that didn’t germinate as expected around? I was just wondering about this today. I still have the pots with the sweet potato vines that didn’t come up. All I am growing in there is a toad.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Remember this big, abandoned pot I asked what might be in it a while ago?

It is starting to flower. Looks kind of like penstemon?

skip-I think you will like the Zizia aptera better than the aureus, At least I do. The leaves are much more refined looking on the aptera.

The blue Lupin grows everywhere around here now even tho it isn't native here. It seems to look much nicer when there's only a few plants as opposed to an entire field of it, all blue.

Temps are still way below normal here and not much is coming up out of the ground. The elderberry blossoms look ready to explode any day now. The Hummingbirds cannot arrive until they do.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Boy, oh boy. I just got an email from Mary Ann (pine ridge), that she will ship my plants next week. It doesn’t say what plants. I just send her a wish list back in March and to ship what is available from this, since the website wasn’t updated as to what they have. It’s going to be fun opening this box!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That does look kind of like Penstemon. You have lots of good surprises in your yard!

I figured Z. aptera would look a little nicer in a garden setting, it doesnt get as tall either and tolerates dry soil better. Better for along the street there.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, you are going to cause traffic jams with people stopping and taking pictures!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, the Geraniums and bluebells are happy in their new home!

Iris, nice toad! Your plant looks like a Penstemon, but it will be easier to ID once the flowers open. I'm going to put my bins way in back, when I bring out the patio furniture and pots in a few weeks. They can go someplace around here where they will still get enough sun.

A prairie preserve.

This part of the prairie had a partial burn.

A large patch of Ribes americsnum. There were a bunch of invasive motherworts in this small area. There is a motherwort in the lower right corner. I need to investigate the nettles.

a hawthorn

Ribes americanum

Ribes Americanum

Ribes missouriense

Ribes missouriense

Illinois has 5 native Ribes species. R. americanum, R. hirtellum, R. aureum, R. cynosbati, R. misouriense.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

A new shoot from the common milkweed.

My 2 Stenanthimum gramineums.

The viburnum dentatums

The stinging nettles and Ribes.

The two rue plants.

This white mulberry is a bear. I need to use weed killer on it.

Violas, jewelweeds, Salvia lyrata, columbines, Dicentra

Sisyrinchiums aren't for sissys lol.

Zizzia aurea

Aquilegia canadensis

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Looking good! What are the shrubs in pic 3, did you move those there? Is that bare soil by the columbine? I dont get that concept here, every bit of bare soil gets covered in weeds in short order.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, there is a lot of bare soil. I have to wait until my plants get big enough to fill it all in. It is breeding a lot of weeds while I wait. The shrubs are Viburnum dentatum. Did you ID the Erigeron? The Viburnums have been there forever. They look great now, but they don't get enough sun once the trees leaf out, and they never bloom. I'm moving all of them into more light.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Last year both the beds with a lot of bare soil had annuals. I could cover bare soil with mulch but just as much work as pulling out a few weeds.

Trillium erectum

bed with lots of bare soil

Lupins not looking optimum

Silphium

milkweeds

something?

bin, bin, and more bins

Bronze fennel

Monarda citriodora

just arrived, Aralia spinosa and Erogerpn pulchellus.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah its Erigeron philadelphicus, they're about 30" tall now. I want some pulchellus seeds later this year!

Im ready to catch the Packera seeds, they're fluffy and wind dispersed.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'll save you some seeds. What is that plant, garlic mustard? You use a klennex when handling it lol?

The jugs with the annuals. Some are already germinating.

Asarum canadense, Stylophorum, and a non native allium thats coming out after it blooms.

i just moved this Cardamine pensylvanica into this wildflower bed.

Mertensia virginica

Dodicstheon media

it's getting filled in

See, the Geraniums still aren't blooming.

It was a good wood poppy day.

The start of adding wildflowers to the east side of the house.

Some ferns and Carex pensylvanica.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Its the packera aurea, and thats a cloth bag to catch the seeds from the flowers.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Oh! Duh! My bad lol. How much garlic mustard left to pull? I'll have to put cloths over my rattlesnake hawkweed flowers too. I'll save you some seeds. I soaked 13 Senna occidentalis seeds after pouring boiling water on them. Only one swelled. After a 2nd try none swelled. I'll have to knick them with a razor.

My Gynostemma pentaphyllum vine. They sent me a sickly plant. I'm hoping it pulls through, but it could go the other way. I'll ask for a refund or replacement if it dies. I was hoping to get a healthy vine that would immediately start climbing a trellis!

Senna occidentalis seeds. The large one is swelled. I just knicked the others.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Lots to look up and lots of pictures to look at. Yay, love it! I am not going to get much done this week. Seems like my daughter’s graduation is more like graduation week. Just came back from the Honors College Awards. So much privet flowering along the roads there. Still some wisteria flowering, too. And lots of honeysuckle.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My Prairie Moon order came in. 2 bareroot Amorpha fruticosas. I need to plant them tomorrow. I still might have seedlings. I forgot to drill holes in the bin top, so I pannicked and ordered the Gillenia and Amorpha. They still should germinate unless they needed moisture all that time too. It's kind of a good thing there is a lot of bare ground in those 2 beds. The rainwater washed away a bunch of soil, and the chipmunks have been tunneling in there. I could have lost some valuable plants. Iris, what is your daughter going to do now that she's graduated? I know you told me, but I forgot lol.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The first thing she wanted to do didn’t work out, so she planned to stay home for a while, finishing the book she has been working on for her Creative Inquiry (any of you have kids around? I can send a copy once it’s printed), and getting her ducks in a row for grad school. But she applied now for a job as research assistant she would really love to do. Made it through the first stage and has an interview lined up. This would put her in the rainforest from June to December, playing with butterflies and moths. So fingers and toes crossed.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Mine are crossed too. That's awesome. Good job!!!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Best of luck to your daughter! I have a little one, what kind of book is it? A bug book? Being in the rainforest 6-7 months would be a life changing experience.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The book is about a little flycatcher trying to learn to catch bugs. She has spent the last three Summers, 3 month each, so she is used to the conditions and loves it.

Jay, I had the Amorpha of yours and the nitens on my Pine Ridge wishlist. Wonder if I get any.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, what's going on with pine ridge? Why haven't you gotten your plants yet? I heard back from Mountain gardens and they don't have any of the plants I wanted available. It's ok tho, the native plant sale is a week from Saturday.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am not sure. Looks like they are family run, so they usually sound a bit frazzled this time of the year. And I think the weather didn’t work so well for them. Back in March she emailed me that it was way too muddy to go out and look what plants from my list might be available.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's real muddy here too. No sun.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I got some pipevine growing. When do you pull them out and put them in the ground or individual pots?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

They look like miniature pipevines. How many plants are you going to use?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I have 12 sprouts in 2 milk jugs but probably wont use them all, if any one wants one I'll be happy to pot it up and send it once theyre a little bigger.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I usually transplant plants when they have at least 3 to 4 true leaves. Haven’t done this with this kind of Pipevine though. Just how tall are these Verbenas usually get? I don’t think they were taller than 4 feet last year, but they are about 5’5” by now.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's very tempting. My plants came in from the Growers Exchange. The main stem on the Ann Marie Lantana was broke. It looked like the plants were grown in another place and then stuffed in the pots at the last minute. I already contacted them. I asked them to send the native Angelica atropurpurea as a replacement. Last time I order from them. My Verbenas never teach 5 feet.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

When are you guys expect to get the Monarchs up there? Looks like my garden is working hard to send them up there. I have about every size of caterpillar. Plus an adult.

Need to take a crash course on caddisflies on Google now. We are supposed to meet with my daughter’s favorite Professor after the graduation. He wants to show us around. Seems he is one of the leading people in this. I know nothing. Other than that the larvae make these really cool cases.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a nice picture! I'm thinking they might start showing up here in July. I don't know anything about caddisflies either. Another reason I have bare soil is because some of the weeds coming up in it are really native wildflowers. Something is already nibbling on the nettle.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My pussy toes are blooming! Alert the media!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay! Did you check on the nettle? I hope my little new nettles will be left alone for a bit. Saw a red spotted purple today. And I think maybe a Gulf Fritillary. They were awfully late last year. Didn’t have much time outside, just watered some of the new plants and the potted ones.

Save    
javiwa

Skip: What type of pipe vine are you growing? If it's a variety that might do well here (hot, humid Houston, TX), I'd be interested. I've got one potted white veined pipe vine that's doing very well, but I can't imagine more than 1-2 swallowtail cats making mincemeat of the entire plant in no time. The Aristolochia elegans I planted last fall came back this spring, but it's also a slow grower. I'm happy to trade for anything you might want. Of the seven Calitropis procera seeds I sowed, four have already sprouted. I think 1-2 of these might be all my yard can handle...I think.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

There were just tiny holes on the nettles like maybe a hatchling. Maybe I should try to root the top of the Ann Marie Lantana and see if the bottom half grows more leaves. I just knicked and poured hot water on more Senna occidentalis seeds, and sowed Dahlia flowered Zinnias, and red shiso. I want to get more buffalo grass going too.

Javi, do you think that trick with the heating pad to bipass cold stratification would work on other seeds besides milkweeds?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Ive never even heard of a caddisfly.

Im growing Aristolochia macrophylla (Isotrema macrophyllum on BONAP http://bonap.net/Napa/TaxonMaps/Genus/County/Isotrema ) its native to the southern Appalachian mountains. I would think it could handle hot and humid. If you can give it a place with afternoon shade it will probably be fine.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, do you have the coreopsis leaf beetles as a pest up there? This is the second year I have them here, and they are pretty bad. Both the larvae and the adults are on lance leaf coreopsis. It’s just a few of the plants, but they sure can do some damage. Not enough of these stink bugs around.

Javi, working on getting you wooly Pipevine!

javiwa

Jay: I was so shocked when the cold strat bypass, water germination technique worked, who even knows? I'd say it's definitely worth a try, if one has extra seeds around. I know I'll be experimenting!

(Thank you, Iris!!!)

Skip: I may give it a try -- nothing ventured, etc., right? :) I must say while reading up on the A. macrophylla, I naturally also came across articles about A. elegans, which I purchased from the Houston Natural Science Museum's Cockrell Butterfly Center. However, I'm shocked and rather bummed to find out A. elegans is actually considered toxic to pipe vine swallowtail larvae. :( One article stated perhaps A. elegans is not so much toxic as its chemicals are too strong for the pipe vines' taste; so, rather than actually being poisoned, the larvae simply die of starvation. This is so disheartening. I don't want to keep anything around that will kill pipe vine SWT larvae. Anyone want an A. elegans plant? Dang...and it's been doing so well lately. I'm also surprised a museum butterfly center would be selling these and labelling them 'host for pipe vine swallowtail.'

ETA: I've seen pipe vine swallowtails here, but never the polydamas...I think we're too far north.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

https://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=3948

I wonder how hard it would be to find the native Texas pipevine A. reticulata? They stay small just like Virginia snakeroot. I was trying to find out if any South American butterfly species use A. elegans as a host plant, but can't find anything. The butterflies down there might have more tolerance to the toxins.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

What is this cold stratification bypass you speak of? I have some bluets I would like to try it with.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't know the whole process, javi does. They've been talking about it on the growing rare milkweeds thread in milkweeds. Where did you get the bluet seeds? I have a few different seeds I may try it with.

Save    
javiwa

Skip: Daniel on the [Growing Rare Milkweeds[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/growing-rare-milkweeds-dsvw-vd~4902196) forum (see May 1) mentioned using a water germination technique on seeds that otherwise needed cold stratification. I had to try for myself, and it worked! I posted pics/results on May 3. Nothing magical about the technique, really: the shocker is that, what, these seeds really don't need cold strat after all?!

ETA: The short version: just soak the seeds in warm water (I used R/O distilled), and keep it at ~ 80-85 degrees for ~ 36 hours, changing the water three times. Daniel used a heating mat. Since I didn't have one and our temps have been in the mid 80s, I just set my bowl outside (in the shade). After the first water change, I abraded the seed coat and snipped away the husk just at the pointy end of the seed -- enough for a little white to show, but not enough to damage the seed.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Iris, this is my first spring with the Coreopsis and I havent seen any beetles or insect damage on them yet. They are a lot larger and spreading more than I anticipated I wouldnt mind if something slowed them down a little.

Javi thanks for the info, looks like it is worth a try if I can work out the heating part.

Jay I got the bluet seeds on ebay I think, from a guy in Vermont, but not until february or march so i didnt bother winter sowing them.

javiwa

Good luck, Skip!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yes, good luck, Skip! These beetles shouldn’t be here. And certainly not as far north as you are.

Is this something I should ask some extension office about? As you can see, I left the caddisflies. Older daughter’s flight is already delayed.

javiwa

Us, right now. Will go for quite a while.

Could be a sleepless night...

Caddis fly = Trout!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Javi, is it flooding everywhere in Houston? I thought I read that hurricane harvey caused so much damage because a bunch of developments were built on a flood plain. Is that where the flooding is taking place now? Hope it is isn't too bad

javiwa

I'd say based on the weather radar loop overnight (very large and widespread red zones), the news coverage this morning, and recent history, it'd be accurate to state Houston is again under water. There were many areas that still hadn't recovered from Tuesday night's onslaught (I think we received almost a foot of rain in 5-6 hours), so this is just adding insult to injury for those poor folks. We'll get a rain break today, but it starts up again this evening through all day tomorrow. We're grateful for our local levee system that did its job (doesn't sting so much to pay those taxes every year now!) and that our neighborhood was built high enough we made it through Harvey unscathed (evacuated nevertheless). We're among the lucky few who can say our house never flooded (apparently a big deal), should we ever sell.

ETA: Re building developments on/in a flood plain, that could very well be true. I don't remember the specifics, but post-Harvey, DH read an article about how a massive, well-to-do master planned community was, let's say, built where it should never have been: the future homeowners were sold a bill of goods, indeed. Perhaps that's what you're referring to.

javiwa

If you can get past the paywalls, it's this NYT article DH came across:

And here's another, covered by local Houston Chronicle. Headline: Many homeowner's unaware they lived in reservoir 'flood pools'

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Are you ok javi? Are you flooded?

Save    
javiwa

Thanks for asking, Jay. Soil is completely saturated, especially my new, center bed. Last night, I dared to take a peek and cringed: once again, it was completely underwater -- just couldn't drain fast enough to keep up with the downpour. This morning, though, water levels have subsided in Lake Javiwa! :) However, temporary stepping stones will definitely need to be repositioned!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Its been raining here too, raining maple samaras!

Common Milkweed growing back

Non native plants:

Ornithogalum umbellatum

Crimson clover Trifolium incarnatum

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I tried out my oscillating reciprocating saw. Sweet! I dug out a privet planted a Viburnum, a couple Amorpha fruticosa, a dock and Valerian. I hung 2 bird houses. The Viburnum looks a million times better than the privet. I sowed more Senna occidentalis seeds that were knicked and soaked. They call that Senna septicweed and stink weed. I hope it's not too stinky! Maybe the stench attracts the butterflies lol? I just discovered these cool native shrubs, Symphoricarpos, Snowberry, Coralberry and Wolfberry. They are hostplants. Snowberry clearwing.

2 Likes Save    
javiwa

Boy, when you put your mind to something, Jay, there's just no stopping you! Guess you were too busy to pull out the camera for us, eh? Another day...

I got my first whiff of the popcorn cassia leaves today: what a fun surprise. They really DO smell like buttery popcorn.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'll wait and show it when it's finished. Hopefully by the end of the weekend. Getting the second privet out is much harder. I'm done! The Viburnum gives the front a more woodland feel. I'm going to put 3 Diervilla loniceras, my New Jersey Tea, and the 3 Gillenias up front too. Then all the flowers. Is it still raining there javi. It was all over the news. It looks like a lot of rain heading towards you Iris.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Javi, I am glad you didn’t have too much trouble with the weather.

Jay, great job!

What a day. I am worn out.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Me too. This is my list for the native plant sale. I'm not sure, but there might be more selections than I know about. This is what I have so far. 2. Adiantum pedatum, 1. antennaria plantaginifolia, 1. Aronia melanocarpa, 1. Clematis virginiana, 3. Diervilla lonicera, 1. Jeffersonia diphylla, 2. Lupinis perennis, 3 Menispermum canadense, 1. Ribes cynosbati, 1. Zizzia aptera. I'm always open to more suggestions lol. I was looking for spicebush seedlings, but they don't ship until fall. I know there's going to be more kinds of plants at that sale and I'll go crazy. Nice ID on the Geum Skip. Watch out ntp!!! I have a mattock somewhere. I need it for that privet. I bought it for my late empress tree.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Haha, its hard not to go crazy at the plant sales. Whats worse is finding out the local retailer will order you plants from the wholesaler. I have a list of stuff to get from 2 local nurseries. What kind of Viburnum did you plant?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Viburnum dentatum. There are 7 growing on the east side of the house in mostly shade. The leaves look beautiful now, but once the overhead trees fully leaf out the Viburnums go downhill. They haven't flowered in years. I'm giving them a new start. They are my fav Viburnum. I love the leaves. They have always seemed out of place where they were. I'd rather have a bunch of lower growing shade plants filling that area. I have Carex pensylvanica in that east area too, but I've never seen it flower there. They look like they might flower now. I hope so because I want a bunch more. I don't like driving to that Natural Communities nursery. I missed a toll and had to pay a fine.lol Could have gotten more plants with that money :(

Save    
javiwa

It was nice and dry all day, Jay -- my yard needed the time to drain and dry out (relatively speaking). Looks like they're pushing back the rain to start ~ 3 a.m. and last throughout Saturday.

Get those chicken boots ready, Iris! Stay safe.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Javi, did you lose all your speciosas? What's the casualty list?

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Javi, they are ready. Another early day tomorrow moving all of my daughter’s stuff home. Back to working in the yard hopefully after that. By the way, that professor was awfully nice. Not a bit frazzled by 10 loud Austrians at all. And they are too much for me after a bit. If the job doesn’t work out for my daughter, he is going to take her to Malaysia in August. Told me he has officially been retired for 7 years, but is still working because of students like her.

javiwa

Jay: I'll need to double check tomorrow, but it's quite possible I lost all the (7) Speciosa to baby Monarch cats that found their way over. :( I did water germinate those two seeds just for kicks, so I'm hoping they'll sprout for me -- will for sure keep at least one in a pot. I'm still holding out hope the ones planted in the beds will come back, as milkweeds will do.

An exciting time for your daughter, Iris!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Here is the complete plant list.

https://www.willcountynature.org/native-plant-sale.html

I have to revise my list.

https://youtu.be/tIoip2yFyVs

I was looking at Violas and found about 12 species native to Illinois that I'd love to collect over time. Two species that really stood out were Viola striata and Viola pubescens. One has yellow flowers, the other cream. They are native to the whole east side of the country.

Do people use turface in their 511 mix? What role would it play?

Skip, did your Agastache foeniculums bloom their 1st year from seed? I want flowers so I need to know before the sale. They won't have everything I want ( Diervilla, Prunus, Ribes, Clematis, Menispermum) at the sale. I might just order from the nursery and skip the sale, the plants will be cheaper.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The Agastache did flower but they were small. They're already 2x larger than last year vegetatively.

Agastache August 9th 2018:

Same plants today:

Apios sprout:

Actaea racemosa:

Sorghastrum nutens in the big pot,

Schizachyrium scoparium in the little pots.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Thanks for the pics Skip. The Actea looks awesome! I have to finish off this other beast of a privet. I'll try it first wirhout the mattock. It's overcast and no sun. A few sunny days in the 80's would do wonders!

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just hung this house in the Juneberry yesterday, and 2 noisy wrens are already busy. I think they know I'm going to be stirring up lots of bugs and creepy crawlers! lol

The first Viburnum dentatum is in, and I'm adding 2 more. I have to get that huge stump out. I am not to mess with the hideous stella 'de oros. Not even divide them? Really? I have 3 machetes saying otherwise! Guerilla gardening in my own yard. Once the additional natives start making it pretty I'll take it my direction! Patience! The barberry, spirea and eventually the stellas are soon to be history. An Aronia replaces the barberry, Gillenias replace spireas. A rose for a rose. Some low growers near sidewalk. Antennaria, Callirhoe, Hieracium venosum. Sedum ternatum. ??? A lot of that lawn is going to be sacrificed for natives! The bed on the left of the sidewalk is going to be all bright colored pollinator flowers.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My immortality vine is regenerating at a remarkable rate. Gymostemma pentaphyllum. Hopefully it will bounce back, but it's still ???

The popcorn cassias and Asclepias perennis.

1 Like Save    
javiwa

Lookin' good, Jay -- progress! Cassia and perennis are looking very healthy and ready to get at it. LOVE the bird house.

In 2017, we took down a couple of diseased 15' red oaks and left the stumps "for later". Later didn't come as quickly as impatient me wanted, so I just planted next to the stumps. :) No regrets.

Our existing lawn is looking a bit nervous, as I continue to eye space for yet another bed. It'll have to be next spring, as we are done with heavy lifting for this spring/summer.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yeah, this coralberry likes dry shady oak savannas. I got to get me some. The chipmunks are at it again!

All the suckers from the serviceberry.

The new nettle patch.

My Apios americana and Penstemon smallii seeds have germinated.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Apios americana

Penstemon smallii, Campanula

Save    

Jay-I can send you the Diervilla loniceras, and New Jersey Tea this coming week. Don't waste your money.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Ok, awesome! Thanks!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Looks good Jay. Thats a lot of suckers but its still a nice serviceberry.

I was out mowing and pulling weeds before. I got most of the garlic mustard but now there are mile-a-minute vines sprouting everywhere. I pulled a lot of them in one area but it still feels a bit like pissing in the wind. Something has eaten most of the leaves off my oak seedlings, I have to get around to fencing them off.

I watched this video yesterday, permaculture related and not anything detailed but I think you'd get a kick out of it https://youtu.be/RePJ3rJa1Wg

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'll check the video out. Thanks. Do you have a local or county annual native plant sale? I saw this aquatic plant in a stream at the prairie. I don't know what it is. Maybe something in Apiaceae? It sounds like you have a lot of weed seeds stored up in your soil bank Skip. Spontaneous mile a minutes. I have the mile in a New York minute vine. It's way worse than yours lol!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am going to have to catch up here again. It’s pouring. Looks like a lot of the black Swallowtail eggs have hatched. My fennels are covered with these little guys.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice! I hope a bunch of them lay eggs on all these swallowtail host plants I've been collecting. I just read that the Monarchs have reached central Iowa. That's really fast.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I found a source for Acmispon americanus seed packets. It was listed under Spanish clover and the old botanical name. I have to order at least $10 worth of seeds so I can order 4 packets and share. It hosts like 35 butterflies. Does anyone want seeds. A lot better than the $180 minimum. The Spanish aquisition. Another impossible one knocked off the list. The seeds don't need cold pretreatment

Save    

Sorry. Way out of my zone.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

No it ain't! I just looked. Acmispon americanus. It's native to Minnesota. The people in California think it's their plant, but they are in la la land. Dandy, do you have any clearweed or black seeded clearweed up there? We should just collect seeds from everything this year for trades later.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I also tried to look it up and it shows me the west. Going to look up what eats it now.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay the master gardeners have a plant sale every year here, its next weekend but I have other plans already. They dont specialize in native plants or even locally native plants, its a Rutgers AG extension organization and they mostly sell the Rutgers bred vegetables. They have some native plants but its common stuff, and not necessarily local genetics. I was looking for wild ginger, clethra, ninebark, and viburnum cassinoides 2 or 3 years ago and nobody knew what they were.

I was looking at that wildridge website, they are going to be at a native plant sale about 20 miles away, in June, with a couple other nurseries. I was thinking about checking that one out if I have time, sometimes they take preorders for pickup.

I'll take some seeds but its not shown as present in NJ on bonap. http://bonap.net/Napa/TaxonMaps/Genus/County/Acmispon

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Bonap, Acmispon americanus. Am I crazy?

http://bonap.net/Napa/TaxonMaps/Genus/County/Acmispon

Sounds like a good plant sale. The deervetch isn't native to New Jersey but it grows in New York and Virginia. I think it would be ok growing there. I could have asked a trading friend in California to order seeds and piggy back them back to me. That was plan B. Yes! The strain hunters strike again!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It would really help if these plants wouldn’t show up as “formerly known as” on Google.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Either I'm halucinating or Acmispon americanus is native to the east too?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Did you get the worst of the rain yet Iris, or is that still to come? The native nursery has this coralberry.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/savanna/plants/coralberry.htm

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Got an inch so far, but still 90% chance of thunderstorms through tomorrow. At least I don’t have to water all my new plants. But there are hundreds of new morning glory/ cypress vine/ pokeberry and dayflower seedlings coming up in the space I just worked on a week ago. One of my popcorn cassia seedlings is about the size of the one you showed in your bin. It already has tiny caterpillars. Any new butterflies showing up yet for you up north?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I haven't seen any caterpillars yet Iris. I looked real close at the nettles but couldn't see anything.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I saw a medium sized brown butterfly fly past my car before but havent seen many others, besides the small cabbage whites last week and some tent caterpillars. I saw a Catbird in one of my new willows today looking around.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Do you think the picture of the aquatic plant is good enough to use for an ID ? I Can't get any closer to the plant without rubber hip boots.

There's a native Solomon's seal that can grow 5 feet tall. I think it's a subspecies of P. biflorum. Polygonatum comutatum canaliculatum.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Maybe you should crop the photo to just the plant in question and repost it.

Anything left on your "hard to find" list?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I can't find the original thread with all the hard to find plants. It's mostly just milkweeds that sre still on my hard to find list eith a few other plants. A. meadii, quadrifolia, lanuginosa, amplexicaulis, rubra, lanceolata, texana, Gomphocarpus cancellatus. Lespedeza leptostachya, Apios priceana, Aletris farinosa, Erigenia bulbosa, Matelea reticulata, Trillium cernuum, Trillium flexipes, Dicentra eximia, I wanted a few bleeding hearts but I couldn't find them anywhere. It seems like I'm always running into plants that are hard to find just can't think of more now.

Skip, I watched the video about permaculture. Makes perfect sense. He knows what he's doing. Are you still thinking about getting a paw paw? I was looking at the wild ridge catalog until I got to the Appalachian sedge. That is so cool ! I'm growing it next year. It likes dry shade and is deer resistant. I know they are still trying to breed a disease free American chestnut. I'd love to grow it if they did.

So, Tuesday and Wed. will be near 70 and after that, several days near 80, so I'm really hoping to see a lot more germination happening and all the ones already germinated need more sun to put on growth. I want to start saving all my seeds. The number of spring flowers is 23 species. I want to collect seeds of the species I don't have from the wild. It seems like I don't have very many spring flowering species now that I know all that's out there. I have to winter sow seeds for Dodecatheon amethystinum.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Cropping is pretty easy on a samsung phone, just look at the picture in Gallery then click the square-looking icon, zoom in with 2 fingers, then save.

Interesting ephemeral, I never heard of it, it seems more common west of here.

Yeah pawpaw is at the back of my mind. Not sure where I'd put them anymore but I need to get something going to compete with these vines and weeds. I think my yard is a little too wet in places for Carex appalachia and Carex pennsylvanica, but Id like to try Carex crinita and Carex rosea.

I read about American chestnut recently, researches have created a GMO version by adding a gene common in a lot of other plants that adds blight resistance, and they've identified and bred blight resistant individuals from the wild, and also done some work crossing american and chinese chestnuts. I think the researches plan to release both to the public in a few years, and are already planting them in some places.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The pic won't post on name that plant. I tried twice. Over here....no problem it will post. It's no big deal.I might go back and take progressive shots. I'll be able to get closer to the plant when things dry out. It's overcast and cold. It's so much easier going out when it's nice. I was reading about something similar with them trying to breed a blight resistant chestnut and if you donated $300 you might get some test cultivars with no assurance they would survive. I also read that there is an ancient American chestnut in Maine or somewhere up there, and this tree has survived either because it's beyond the range of the blight or it has a natural resistance. I'm not an expert on Carex species because there's like 500 of them, and they all look similar, but good thing is they fit into different situations. I'm going to have to move all the bins to the lawn in about a week.

Save    

Jay-Clearweed looks familiar to me, as in, something I keep pulling up and discarding because it's a weed. Reminds me of the evil Nettle!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It is a nettle. I like nettles.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

1 Like Save    
javiwa

Looking fabulous! I forgot all about the Gold/Yellow curassavica you sent me and didn't get them germinating until a few weeks ago. They're still very tiny.

Did the tithonia poop out on you, Jay? I saw the most hilarious, unique sight this morning: squirrel perched on my fence, face-deep in the middle of a tithonia flower that he must've plucked (?) off the plant -- was just happily munching away. Judging by how bright red-orange the petals were, and that they stayed intact through the several-second feast, no way the center had hardened to 'seeds/nuts' yet. By the time I grabbed my camera, he was gone. Anyone ever hear of this?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I accidentally killed the 1st batch of Tithonias. I forgot to water them. I was thinking the silky yellows were Gomphocarpus. I was shocked. More of a orange-yellow. I love my Calotropises. They look like grey suede. In the next week they should all be going outside.

Save    
javiwa

Do you need more tith seeds? If you have any leftover, and weather's head towards 80, just toss them into the dirt. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't come up quickly -- and they'll reseed for you next year.

I'm happy to send more seeds if you'd like.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think I still have plenty of seeds. I have 9 seedlings. That should be enough. There were also too many seedlings the first time.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Javi, how big are your Calotropis seedlings? I didn't start those too early. They are the perfect size right now.

Save    
javiwa

Still no sign of true leaves, Jay. Hopefully they'll appear this week.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Love looking at the pictures of your seed starting adventures! It’s raspberry season. Wisteria sneaking out from this patch. At least I can take a break and have a snack while fighting it.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow' So cool! They are going to be monsters, I can tell! Your Monarch cats will be happy campers! :D

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have been trying to read up on the coreopsis leaf beetles I have mentioned here before. I am fairly certain of my ID (Phaedon desotonis). By most websites, they shouldn’t be here, Georgia the closest. I found one paper that said some collected in S.C. in 1993. INaturalist doesn’t show anything close at all. Think I should email my extension office to ask? There are an awful lot and not enough of the predatory stinkbug around.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Raspberries already? I dont think they have even flowered here yet.

I would put one of those beetles in a baggie and call the extension.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The raspberries haven't flowered yet here either. They look really tasty. I saw some wild strawberries flowering today at the forest. Do you think they are worth having in a native garden? I pulled some garlic mustard on a path at the woods. Very muddy out. I think you need a couple wren houses Iris. Wow are they noisy! I don't like the look of those bugs.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yep, picked about 6 cups of them today. I guess I should put one of the bugs in the freezer. From what I read, the first one was collected in 1963 in the US and the origin is unknown. I don’t need another Japanese beetle around. Even though their numbers have gone down a lot in my yard. If I am supposed to report invasive plants I assume this goes for beetles, too.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I do have wren houses. They just choose to nest in weirder locations. One of them had almost half a nest done inside the garage today. The door was open for a few hours.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay I would plant wild strawberry among taller plants, it will fill in any ground level openings between the other plants.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You are such a good citizen Iris. They should make you the head of the EPA! Are you saying the predatory stink bugs would be eating those ugly, black beetles? If these chipmunks around here don't settle down! We need more birds of prey around here. I flooded 2 holes today, stabbed the ground with rebar, deep dug the cavern. There will be another hole there tomorrow. I woudn't mind the holes, but they tunnel under my natives and kill them by drying their roots out. The daffodils came out today and were replaced with Polygonatum. Yes, I would call the local extention office and report it. They have Master Gardeners taking your calls! :D

So far it's being a wet spring but I'm sure everything will be parched at some point.....

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well, they ate the larvae. I am always hopeful things balance themselves out without my interference.

Another little potted popcorn cassia. Guess I will interfere and put it next to the big, wild Senna.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, that's a great idea about using the strawberries. I gunna do it bigtime! There were some Packera at the woods. I'm not comepletely sure what the waterleaf looks like but there might be some out there. They need an engineered virus that selectively kills invasive bush honeysuckles. They chopped a bunch of brush at the woods so they can keep a closer eye on people lol, but why don't they plant native perennials in that space? They put up bat condos. I'd like to put owl and bat houses way up in these tall oaks but , well I'm not exactly Bear Grillis if you know what I mean! :(

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Popping in here after doing a happy dance! My daughter just got an email that she got the position. Among other things, it’s raising caterpillars to see what they turn into. How cool is that? Jay, I will make sure she takes some nice Morpho butterfly pictures for you!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Awesome job, congratulations to you both!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I like it that they have so many caterpillars they don't know what they all turn into. I'd like that problem! Ooh. She might discover new species??? That's great news! My fennels are ready for swallowtail cats.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I hope you will get a lot of caterpillars on your fennel! First eggs on my Spicebush today. Saw a cool looking caterpillar. I feel I should know it. Going to see if I can look it up.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Are they Spicebush Swallowtail eggs? I wanted to buy spicebush seedlings but they don't ship them until November.

the wall to wall carpeting.

Ran into a couple guys out here who were hunting for mushrooms. I've found morels out here. I'm just too interested in the plants to really bother with looking for mushrooms.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

They are! My shrubs are finally growing after 3 years. Didn’t Skip plant some? Wonder if his will do better. Your third picture looks absolutely gorgeous. So peaceful.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Thanks, it was peaceful.

this looks familiar

motherwort. the places some of these invasives are growing are well off the beaten path, almost like someone is seeding them around deliberately.

I tried getting the other privet out with no luck. Maybe 2 people prying it out at the same time will work or else a tire jack. I pulled out some invasive bush honeysuckles and garlic mustard while I was taking pictures.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That is a wild looking cat Iris. What is the host plant?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice pics Jay.

Iris, I was thinking about getting the spicebush from the place where I got the birch and the willows, but they were out of stock until July, and I never got around to going to the other place for them. I still have time to get them. I read on the Trees forum, someone posted a link to a study that found summer is actually a good time to plant woody plants because the roots are doing the most growing or some such. I guess waiting 3 years for growth is better than them never growing. I feel like my Clethras were like that too, they were just tiny twigs for a few years. My Inkberry holly is like that too, just refusing to grow, getting outcompeted by the lanceleaf coreopsis at the moment.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

They will have spicebush at the native plant sale Saturday for $18. I grew one for a few years and it didn't grow, so I dug it out. I should have kept it. I like seeing things progressively growing. I had hollies once. They took forever to grow too. The winterberry is fast growing I think.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm going to look around for a pry bar. I can't start planting anything until all these weed trees come out. Another sunny day. The seedlings really need it.

1 Like Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It rained over 2" the last 2 days and we're still getting scattered showers and cool temps through the end of the week. My yard has several ponds right now. I could use a warm sunny day. I want to take the row cover off and just leave the insect netting up over the seedlings.

I would just cut the weed trees down as close to level with the ground as possible. Apply a stump killer if you need to and leave the stumps in the ground. They'll slowly break down and add nutrients back into the soil.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I knew you had rain, but not that much. It's been drying out the past couple days but there is a lot more rain in the forcast for the next 15 days.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Javi, I want to see Gomphocarpus flowers asap! Start digging those holes lol! The winterberry can handle occasional flooding and they grow fast for hollies. Still not seeing any butterflies except the red admirals.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, do you mean the cat Ms. Sherry ID’d for me? It was on the ground. Seems I found the perfect weed patch for it. It started eating Toadflax. Nice to see new kinds of caterpillars showing up each year. If I can figure out what they are....

Save    
javiwa

Jay: I'll have you know, I've planted 8 Gomphocarpuses (Gomphocarpi?) all around the yards...holes have been dug for a while now. :) I gave away the 9th plant to a friend who is raising her 5 y/o grandson, and this little kiddo has become enamored of the entire Monarch life cycle -- he even witnessed a butterfly eclose last week, right before he headed off to school. I've since given a number of milkweeds and host plants to this same friend: they've caught the bug. :) <<< See what I did there?

Both the Gompho and perennis MW buds are still on the threshold of opening, but they still look very tight. Don't know what they're waiting for: they've had plenty of sunshine and rain. Will keep you posted.

BTW, DH spotted outside our window what appears to have been a question mark butterfly! Darn if I didn't miss it, scaring it off as I rushed over to look. We scrolled through the internet looking for pics, and he ID'ed it as a question mark. So cool. Host plant: hackberries. Yes, the same 'menace' neighbor trees that I've been trying to hack away at!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes Iris, your scribbled sallow moth caterpillar that was expertly id'd by Miss Sherry lol!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Everyone here feel free to use this thread whenever. I think from this point on I'm not going to be able to get on here and catch up until close to sundown. Too many tending duties. I knew it would happen. I'm enjoying it. The question marks and the grey and green commas are all similar. I thought the question marks cats also ate elms? I have the host plants for the commas. They are Ribes, currants, gooseberries. The birds keep planting hackberries everywhere. I found a little Prunus seedling about 2 inches high on my property. Hopefully, I'll find it again. I have a new heavy duty cro-bar. If this don't do it mattocks ,chain saws, dynomite or gasoline. C4? An antimatter bomb!

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha. I guess you are excused, Jay. As long as you take pictures to share. Saw this pretty perfect Tiger Swallowtail today.

Anyone know what this tree seedling might be?

or this plant?

Dandy, be glad your hibiscus doesn’t have problems with sawflies. They are already here.

javiwa

No need to babysit us, Jay. Just check in once in a while so know you didn't pull your back yanking stumps! This article states elms are the main host plant for question marks; but scrolling down, hackberries are listed as a less common alternate.

Iris: Beautiful butterfly! Once in a while I'll get volunteers like your second pic, and someone once IDd as a pecan...maybe?

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

They look like weeds I am constantly pulling out of my front bed, likely crab apple, bird cherry and/or mulberry. Whatever the passing birds and squirrels drop while sitting on the sycamore overhead. The mulberries have orange roots.

Beautiful butterfly, probably another month or 2 before I see them here.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have elm, but never have seen caterpillars on it. I did have a bunch of question mark caterpillars on Hackberry last year. Had Ms. Sherry confirm since I was impatient. I would have recognized them in the next instar.

I am going to dig that little tree up tomorrow. Maybe there is still a nut/ seed attached. There were dozens of little maples, hackberries, Wild black cherry and red cedar under this maple. So this one stood out.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I did pull my back ripping out invasive honeysuckles. I really don't know which is worse, those honeysuckles or the garlic mustard.

1 Like Save    
javiwa

^^^ That was a sympathy 'Like'.

I may have a newfound respect for the hackberries, Iris -- just as long as they (and their woolly aphid honey dew) stay on their side of the fence. :)

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I understand, Javi. My big ones are out in the open, but they do have the problem. There are a few small ones close to the house. I cut them down every winter (I really don’t want them there), but don’t use stump killer. So they kind of grow to 8 feet tall shrubs. Weirdly they don’t have any problems. And plenty of caterpillars I can actually see (mostly common snout). Probably because their leaves are actually nice. No idea why.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

There were nice things to look at out there. >

Packera glabella. Seems to be the only species around here. I keep hoping I'll run across some aurea or obovata.

Some pretty shrub.

A hill.

Jack is preaching!

I believe I found Laportea canadensis. I realized it after getting stung. What a beautiful native nettle! And I was thinking it was rare, hence the frantic seed search.

1 Like Save    
javiwa

I actually do have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the hackberries as I find their leaves just lovely. Once the aphids leave their dewy mist, everything beneath turns into black, yucky mildew -- it's like a dark shadow. Blecch. However, I do see that something is nibbling the leaves up high...hmmm. Might need to pull my ladder out. :)

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

How cool is that?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, your first picture looks like a tree seedling and the second reminds me of Viburnum dentatum but I don't really know what it is.

Save    
javiwa

Remember last year, Iris, when you helped me ID that tawny emperor? Hackberry...

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm getting jealous. I haven't seen 1 caterpillar yet this year. All I have room for is hackberry bushes, no trees. They are sprouting up around here all the time. Just to be mean or for revenge, the chipmunks ripped up all the Claytonias I just transplanted. I'm pretty sure there cavern is no more because there's a lake there now!

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I think I am going to put that little tree in a pot before it gets some crazy taproot and wait see what comes out of it. Leave the other one as it is and see. I still didn’t get around to get out the plants behind my downspout from Name that plant. At this point, I am not sure if it looks like the suggested ground elder or the one Dandy suggested. Things are going wild!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I saw a Menispermum canadense seeding out at the woods, but I can't find it in the pics. The moonseed vine, very cool.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Those are nice rich woods!

Looks like the woods I've been baby sitting up here, minus the Rhamnus cathartica.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/omnivorous-garlic-mustard-challenge/Content?oid=3678005

This is the picture with the moonseed vine, Menispermum canadense. Right in the center is the leaf. My first time noticing it in the wild.

Save    
Save    
javiwa

You folks simply amaze me how you're able to ID so many varieties!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Well, I can get on here a little bit in the morning. I need to try to get that privet out today and put my final nursery order in which is everything I planned on getting at the native plant sale plus more plants. And then that's it, I'm done! Oh, what I thought was a huge black walnut is actually a huge white mulberry. Machete time! My spring wildflower garden is surrounded by buckthorns and mulberries. It's such an insult lol. Last year I kept watering and fertilizing my common milkweeds to help them keep up with the huge amounts of Monarch cats, and now there's a bunch of new shoots pretty far away from last years stalks. Javi, whatever happened to those common milkweeds you had in pots for a long time last year?

Skip, does it look like your common milkweeds have spread at all since last year?

Iris, do you still think that strange milkweed in your yard is showy milkweed? What is the host plant for that scribbled sallow moth cat? I was looking, but couldn't find anything. I read that they absorb the chemicals of their host plant to make them taste bad and their coloring is to ward off predators. Hope you all have a beautiful day!

Javi, we have pretty much covered every native plant east of the continental divide so that helps hone our ID skills. Name that plant better watch out!!! Stack em up!

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The hostplants for the moth are mentioned here.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/104158

In my yard, it is eating the toadflax I had on Name that Plant not too long ago. Going to have to check on the maybe showy milkweed. So much to keep up with! No rain in the forecast for 2 weeks. So dragging the water hoses around it is.

Good luck fighting the privet! And Mulberry, if you get to it.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, the toadflax. I would like to grow for the buckeyes. I like it too. I put a bunch of pictures on a comment and when I hit submit they all dissapear. Sometimes it reapears. I can't even imagine what the root systems on those southern invasive privets are like. I guess I'll try again.

My 1st attempt at mixing spring wildflowers on the shady east side of the house.

This just popped out of nowhere. Something in the carrot family. I don't think it's poison hemlock, Conium maculatum. That's growing around here too. It has attractive foliage.

The ferns and sedge grew a little. I'm adding a bunch more shade loving natives in here too.

Ellisia nyctea. A bizarre annual. The sole member of its genus. In the waterleaf subfamily of the Borage family. The common name is Aunt Lucy (?). And it grows in my yard. I had it ID'd on name that plant twice. I forgot what it was after they ID'd it the first time lol.

Violets, they are underapreciated because they're so common. These exotics will be going away over time I apologise for them fouling up my pics, but I live with someone who has a hard time dealing with change! Why can't people just let go of hostas man!

My swamp milkweed is way ahead of the common ones.

The star of my wildflower garden. The shooting star. Might have to share the limelight with Dody catheon amethystinum next year.

I just found this in back. It kind of looks like sweet cicely. I chewed a leaf but it was bland with maybe a hint of anise or was it my imagination? A member once said that Anise hyssup really spices up her spagetti sauce in s nice way. Did I get off topic or what?

Save    
javiwa

Jay: My common MWs pretty much withered and never came back. Just as well -- too warm down here, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Need to send my extra seeds to anyone who wants!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay I started my common milkweed from seed and planted them last August, theyre going to need some more time to spread.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Javi, hopefully some of your new milkweeds will like the heat better. I know the Gomphocarpus and Calotropis will. I have to thin out my common milkweed patch at the old place. The roots have went under the walkway, and they are comepletely taking over the whole garden. I need all that reclaimed space for new species. Some of my pics dissapeared.

Save    
javiwa

I have to thin out my common milkweed patch... << something I can never say. :) I just finished potting up my Silky Golds. Even in the shade, soil temps could get too warm, so putting in larger pots/cups should help.

I turned around and finally caught an Eastern black swallowtail in the act, depositing eggs as she bounced around my fennel...finally! :D

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I wouldn't give up comepletely on the common milkweed. At least try to find out if anybody else grows it successfully in the Houston area. It's a great milkweed for feeding cats when it's happy. I have some species germinating that like the heat better like viridis and oenotheroides. To early yet to tell how all these milkweed seedlings will turn out. I finally got the privet stump out of the ground. I better get some black swallowtails,there are many new host plants here for them.

the empty hole where the former privet was growing

1 Like Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Good job, removing stumps can be back breaking work

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I know you go on i nat, but do you just go there for info, or do you make observations? I'm a member but I've never made observations. There's no time for that anymore lol. I'd be at it all day and get nothing done! The identifiers seem similar to the smart people on name that plant. I wonder if any of them do both?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am just going there for information. I joined BugGuide last Summer in order to get one of my caterpillars identified since the Insect/ Butterfly Garden Forums here didn’t know. Didn’t get the information though. And the only time I posted something there since then was to help somebody with a butterfly ID. If I am going to find the unidentified caterpillar this year again, I am very tempted to raise it to find out.

Great job on the privet!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Thanks. A big storm system is going to hit tomorrow night. At least we had a lot of sunshine yesterday and today. My little variegatas dont look like they are growing.

Save    
javiwa

That's a first, Jay -- one of my plants/varieties is actually doing better than yours. I have faith in your methods: I bet they'll be fine soon enough.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It was such an ordeal to find seeds for those, and everybody else wanted them too. I want to have more ariegatas than I know what do with .Yeah, I'd like having that problem. My imortality vine lives on and is regenerating. There are tiny seedlings in the pot with it, I wonder what they are?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay for Black Swallowtail eggs, Javi! My little caterpillars are everywhere, even the potted fennels, but seem to be doing well.

Elsewhere in my yard: saw these really big eggs (compared to Monarch eggs) on my willow. They are by twos on the top of the leaves. Hope they are safe, I am really curious what they are.

something is making little leaf pockets on my Apios

the mystery milkweed doesn’t look like it is going to flower anytime soon, but looking good. It’s getting hard to get there to check on it.

the mystery tree seedling from yesterday was easy to figure out once I dug it up

Everything else is just starting to get wild. I really need to save some of the more innocent plants.

That’s my South Carolina report for today! :)

javiwa

Love the pics, Iris! So, does fennel self-seed year after year? Last year was my first experience, starting with several 4" pots. And they never died back this winter.

Jay: I didn't realize how difficult variegata seeds are to purchase. I wonder if they're like white veined pipe vine seeds where fresh is better -- in which case, should I go ahead and try to germinate the remaining variegata? I think I may have 5-6 left.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Live stream....

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Beautiful flower, Jay! My fennel didn’t die back down this winter either. It does self seed a lot. I potted some of the seedlings last Fall that were in bad spaces. Still need to find spots for them if the caterpillars don’t eat them all. So curious about these eggs on my willow. No luck finding any images on Google. And about the Apios. I should be getting some plants from Pine Ridge tomorrow. Still not sure what. The last email just said they were sorry they didn’t have some of the plants I wanted. Surprise!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I didn't let my fennel flower last year because I didn't want to atract wasps while I had so many Monarch cats. I'm letting all my carrot family plants bloom this year.

A rare white violet. I am id'ing it as Viola blanda, sweet white violet. It's not listed on bonap. The Viola page on bonap has some weird things going on.

mayapple in flower

snowberries or one of the other Symphoricarpos species like coralberry or wolfberry.

not sure what this is. Some species of Ribes?

Like always there was a lot of garlic mustard and hs's, and some buckthorn. The plant species here change, depending on where you're at.

Iris, that's awesome that something is already eating your Apios!

Save    
javiwa

Progress report for Jay!

Potted A. perennis is ever closer to blooming:

The largest of the gomphocarpus is upwards of 3' tall, with new branches forming:

Dangling buds (gotta really watch my use of adjectives, given the nickname for this plant!):

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Great pics javi, thanks! Haha about the hairy balls. They are getting huge. Are there cats on some of them?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)
Save    
javiwa

I see lots of nibble holes on the one plant pictured, but none of them seem freshly-chewed; quite possible the anoles and wasps have already feasted. The Monarchs have been busy laying eggs, though.

javiwa

Hoping the front passes through quickly so you can get back at it - stay safe.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Stay safe, Jay! Javi, your plants look fantastic! No aphid in sight!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It just poured a huge amount of rain. There was hail too. I'm going to go look at the river. My hackberry bush was nibbled on, but I couldn't find any cats.

Save    
javiwa

Iris: No aphids on the MWs shown, but there's another gomphocarpus on the side yard that I've already started the squishing ritual. But, yeah, so far, looking good. :)

javiwa

I just reached over the fence and pulled in some hackberry branches for inspection (don't worry...will not be missed either by neighbors nor parent tree).

Lots of nibble holes, but not a single cat to be found:

The woolly aphids are starting to take hold already...blecch (sorry I couldn't color-correct the blue out -- they're powdery white):

Ever notice these odd things poking up from the surface of your hackberry leaves? They're like little gnomes -- probably some sort of gall (?). Left pic is the back side, and right pic is the same leaf, flipped over. I've also seen similar protrusions on the upper surfaces:

Nubby and hard - not squishable.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

No sign of aphids on my hackberries yet. Speaking of galls, there are some really weird looking ones this Spring. Especially on my cottonwood and oaks. I even asked on the insect forum about one kind.

Just how did you talk me into getting Apios, Jay? Just kidding, but when I went to check if something would poke out of the little pockets, I found a bunch of eggs. I might need to get some emergency tubers right away.

My little potted Popcorn Cassia doesn’t look so great, but at least I have plenty of other Senna.

I also found caterpillars on one of my bee balms. Might be a sign of an interesting Summer to come. It’s supposed to be 89 degrees by Saturday, all of next week in the mid 90’s. Seems a bit early.

And who needs diamond rings? Ha ha.

Jay, how did your weather turn out? All your bins ok?

javiwa

We'll really heat up starting next week, too, Iris. I still have Silky Gold curassavica and calotropis procera seedlings newly sprouted (the former is just starting to put out true leaves). But I don't know how to keep the soil temps in these plastic cups and trays cooler. If I left them in the shade, I don't think they'll get enough sunlight to grow. But putting them out in the sun is just too hot.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It rained a lot. It's very muddy. I couldn't get out of the woods it was so slippery. My foot got caught on a branch and I rolled down a steep hill...but I landed on all 4's like a cat.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
javiwa

SMH, Jay...you are made of sturdy stuff!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

You made good use of a rainy day it seems. Everything is so green!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Some kind of tree with bell-like white flowers.

A close up of the flowers.

The canal is wide here.

Another tree with strange white flowers. I had to hold the branch close with one hand, so it's blurry.

Geranium maculatum

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking maybe the native Angelica atropurpurea.

A wood duck house

Some white flowered Phlox divaricata

burdock and scum

the water's edge

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I guess I have to switch over now lol. These are all my pictures, I hold all exclusive rights!!! There were plants that I could not identify, but no time to worry about it, it'll all come out in the wash.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha ha. I know very few of them. Did you figure out the aquatic plant you were wondering about? Just ordered some more Apios, in case I need some emergency food.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

No, I never found out what the aquatic plant was. I'll try to get closer to it when things dry out some. I'll go back and point out the ones I don't know. I never knew the Virginia waterleaf was so common around here. I saw a heron and took its pic. I have a lot of planting to do over the next few days! It's a good thing all those seedlings aren't ready yet.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, did you order Apios plants or tubers? None of my tubers have come up yet, but the seedlings are already looking for something to climb.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I ordered one plant and two tubers. I didn’t even think host plant with the original one. Ha, serves me right to scramble around now.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You shouldn't need to order any more after this year, but you might have to start eating