SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

'Sombreuil, Cl.'

jerijen
5 years ago

Back in the day . . . before we all figured out that this was not an 1858 Tea Rose . . . We won a ton of ARS Dowager Queen certificates with it.

Now that we know it is a modern Large-Flowered Climber, it's still beautiful, still disease-resistant, and still incredibly fragrant.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5858

Comments (53)

• malcolm_manners
    5 years ago

Jin it does very well in Lakeland, Florida. Grows like a weed and is nearly continuous-flowering. My sister also grows it very well in Pompano Beach.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    Dr. Manners, thanks for the tip. Now, I am game. I am so torn btw this rose, MAC and Lamarque. I been comparing this three past one yr.
    xoxoxo
    jin
  • totoro z7b Md
    5 years ago

Gorgeous. This rose is very vigorous too!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It does well in NE FL too. It is definitely a climber. I also have Mac which also gets huge. Between the two, MAC blooms more and has less thorns but I love both of them.

• Rosefool/Karen 8b, central Texas
    5 years ago

Though not in a good spot, my Sombreuil rewards me with the same blooms as your lovely photos. Heat and humidity don’t bother it at all. I also just planted Lamarque!

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    5 years ago

Jeri, I see this and it makes me really want to grow this rose. The problem is that i don't have space for all of the roses I'd like to grow! You have grown so many different roses, but I get the impression that you have found an equilibrium between growing what works well/what you really love and trying new things that so many of us struggle to achieve. Do you have advice about achieving rose collecting zen? (That is, if you feel like you have attained a measure of "rose zen" -- it certainly seems like it from the outside). Do you think it just takes growing a lot of things and learning by experience what doesn't work?

• jerijen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Malcolm -- I still have that VI plant, and I think it will finally go into the ground soon. I'm looking forward to that.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

That is an excellent question, K S, one that becomes even more complicated when factoring in climate change with hotter temperatures and the challenges of less than stellar health and decreased energy. The simple answer is to grow only what is well-suited to your growing conditions and what you really love. Of course it's rarely simple, especially when tempting, gorgeous new roses are constantly front and center here.

Jeri and I posted at the same time, but our answers are not really too different. I also grow multiples of roses like Souvenir de la Malmaison, Le Vesuve, Evelyn and Plum Perfect, which give the garden a certain flow and structure, and a more restful feeling. We can't have it all in our lives and the same is true of our gardens, I think.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sure. Ingrid and I both said the same thing, in different ways. The way to peace with your garden is to grow what does well where YOU are.

It took me a while to absorb that -- partly because in the beginning, I bought all of the wrong books.

The great English Rosarians told me that No Garden Was Complete Without [******]. Well, FINE. But I'm not IN England. I'm on a semi-arid coastal hillside, in Southern California. EVERYTHING about my location is unlike what those writers experience. So, naturally, the champions of their gardens tend to be abysmal failures here.

Ingrid's conditions, again, are wildly different from mine (tho mine are growing closer to hers),

God bless the late Bob Edberg, for telling me over and over . . . "You can't grow THAT. You should instead grow THIS."

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    5 years ago

Thanks Jeri and Ingrid,

I like the idea that the garden should be a relaxing place for enjoyment and peace of mind. And the attitude that Jeri expresses regarding not being willing to use toxic substances to artificially keep plants on life support is one that I share completely. Hopefully someday soon I will have space to grow multiples of my most successful roses! Until then I'm going to try to be more ruthless about getting rid of roses that aren't thriving. I tried to discard a rose that I found extra susceptible to fungal afflictions this spring, but my significant other "rescued" the rose and so we still have it. I'll have to remove it when he isn't around!

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    5 years ago

Sounds like some very sage advice. It becomes ever more important to find ways to live in harmony with our environment, and not in a state of constant chemical, etc warfare without, and personal stress within. The days when humans had to 'conquer' this planet are well and truly over. We 'won' a great victory, and in so doing shifted our world into the Anthropocene/Plastic/Chemical geological era. Now the challenge is to learn the ways of responsible stewardship, not conquest.

Back to immediate practicalities; and I'm probably just restating the obvious/well-known here, but I think it's well worth giving a beautiful rose you love (or think you could love, if it were healthy) a few years to prove itself, before discarding - so often the ills of youth seem to be thrown off with maturity.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    5 years ago

Would love to grow that rose, however between my white fence (it would never show up) and the horrible Hoplia beetles which would decimate it in three seconds, I will never be able to grow this beautiful rose.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Comtesse, not giving a rose enough time to show what it can do is a mistake I made over and over again. My list of discarded roses is horrifically long, and some of the losses I really regret. With time one learns, but why did it take me so long?

I really regret not having a proper place for climbing roses, but since they do take more work and training, and possible forays onto ladders, perhaps it's just as well.

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago

Jerijen are you still on here? I tried messaging you.

jerijen thanked Jemma Z10Socal
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Just gorgeous. Does anyone know if this is hardy enough to climb in Z6.

• jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

HMF says it is part Wichurana, which is a very cold hardy rose. Also HMF has lots of pictures of it in Poland and Germany, so it might. Maybe someone who grows it in a colder climate will comment.

jackie

• malcolm_manners
    4 years ago

Flowering in Florida Southern College's (Lakeland) garden today. It loves it here. This plant has been in the garden for about 4 months.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jemma Wilson -- Yes. I am here.

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago

jerijen,

Yay! I'm glad you are here. I was wondering can I grow this rose on a tree or a wall? How would I know if I'm purchasing the right sombreuil? I noticed years ago you also mentioned a Guadeloupe rambler, can you tell me about that rose too or other rambler roses?

• jerijen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jemma, it's terrific on an arbor, but I don't think it would climb a tree. Left to itself, it will make a gigantic arching shrub. A huge THORNY shrub, I might add! We did that once, a long time ago, and I wouldn't recommend it.

You want a tree-climber? Where are you located?

I think the rose I mentioned must have been 'Guadeloupe Volunteer' -- From the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, in Guadeloupe Gardens, San Jose, CA.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.37015

Unfortunately, that isn't in commerce.

But let's see what else might be suitable for your location.

• jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

Jemma - I will echo Jeri's question - where do you garden, approximately? Here is a pic of my Sombreuil (aka Colonial White) which I took 3 hours ago. In my zone 9, it is climbing up to the roof of our 3 story house - that is all one bush. I think it would climb up a tree if it got enough light. Ours is climbing on a wall which has a Southern exposure. We have another one which climbed up to the top of our garage, jumped over the fence to the neighbor's fir tree, and climbed up the fir tree to a total height of over 35ft. That one started out in completely dark shade in the 2 1/2 ft space between the garage wall and the fence, in their shade as well as that of the fir tree. . It laughed at the dark shade, and kept growing until it got some light, then more light, then it ate our garage and kept going. I have been told that it is "indetermanent" in height, which means that it will keep growing up as long as it is happy, I guess.

Jackie

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

So sorry! I did not get notified on this or it got lost with all my other posts. I'm in san Diego zone 10A. I have a terrible ugly tree on the curbside that the city won't let me remove. I was hoping to cover it and plant some more roses under it. I want all white roses but they can have a dash of cream or pink. The tree is about 20feet.

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago

Wow! Jacqueline that it quite the climber

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Never stops weeping. The city trims it every other year since it grows like a weed. I was wondering if I could plant two roses on each side of the tree and a climber in it.

• jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

Is the tree on your property, or is it a City owned street tree? From where it is planted, and if the City trims it, they probably own it. I would see if there is a City Arborist (in my town the Arborist works for the Public Works Department, don't know about your town, of course). If there is an arborist, I would talk with him to see what you need to do, if anything, to get permission to grow a rose climbing up the tree, or if they even care. I have grown (without asking anyone): a bush type rose at the bottom of a phone pole - the telephone workers are very nice, and try not to hurt it), and a 12 ft climbing rose up a street tree. So, just go for it if you want to.

Jackie

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago

Worst case scenario they will ask me to remove it. So no need to worry about the city. I really hope I can get some suggestions on what to plant there. Some folks told me MAC rose. Towards the street, I have three boleros in and they are already blooming =) I really want to plant more roses as I heard climbing roses can take a while to take off. I'm trying to find white or cream roses that take filtered sun.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

I adore this rose, too. It’s fragrance is so lovely. In winter, it has a touch of pink in its center. But don’t miss the part about the thorns. This plant is very serious about defending itself. It makes it a bit harder to control. I have mine on the perimeter fence and even the deadheading draws quite a bit of blood. 😊

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago

jerijen

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5907100/what-color-is-mac-rose-in-southern-ca#25455852

Can you please give me your advice I know you are a master rosarian =) Can you look at that link and let me know what would work there?

• jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

Just info - I have 2 MACs, and they both have climbed nicely in filtered sun up through trees, no problem. Thorns are a good thing for a rose climbing into a tree.

Jackie

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago

Jackie,

Which rose to you prefer more? I'm wondering if MAC will be a monster and start growing on the power lines.

• jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

I do not prune my MACs, but I have read here and elsewhere that they can be pruned to stay smaller. If the City prunes those trees periodically, I assume that that will prevent a MAC climbing through the tree from getting to the power lines. Also, roses do not jump - climbers need something to touch to climb, and I assume that the City maintains a separation between the tree and the power lines. Re contrasting/comparing with Sombreuil, MAC's canes are MUCH more pliable and moveable than are those of Sombreuil. Sombreuil has very strong stiff canes, and IMO much worse thorns than MAC.

Jackie

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago

My god, I know now why you ladies complain about this app. I tried so many times to reply to this message on my phone...it is terrible.

Jackie, they cut the tree but they never cut it real short. The tree is taller than the electrical lines. That is why I wonder if the MAC would grow on it. What about the actual flower? Which one do you prefer? Which one lasts longer and which one repeats more often?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, I really appreciate it. New future rosarian =)

• jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

Of course, the blooms on Sombreuil are elegant and astoundingly beautiful. The blooms on MAC are pretty, but it is the mass look which I like on my MACs. In my garden MAC blooms faster and longer - it stops blooming in early Dec, and starts up again in Jan!

Jackie

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago

I'm so sorry I can't write a longer response now...but I wanted to post these comparison pics for you!

MAC:

MAC gets huge! This is growing at a neighbour's house. It's very drapey and beautiful.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago

'Sombreuil' :

The only pic of the whole bush I have...before it bloomed. It grows on this arch, the canes are large, stiffer, and thorny.

• Jemma Z10Socal
    4 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Rose lady,

Thank you!!! I always feel better before making a decision lol but it loos like I have to make one.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

'Sombreuil' was one of the first roses we planted, and it's still one of my favorites.

I don't think you can beat it for fragrance. It's that Green Apple scent, overlain with something sweet. A totally different kettle of fish from MAC ...

• Jemma Z10Socal
    3 years ago

Gorgeous!!!

Armstrong Nursery was open yesterday and I went in for potting soil and guess what was there?

Sombreuil! Destiny made the decision for me =)

Can you ladies please suggest some other white roses I can put near it? I was thinking of two compact small plants and two larger ones. I was trying to find Guinevere for sale but no luck yet. I also was thinking maybe Frances Meilland. What do you think?

• Lisa Adams
    3 years ago

Jemma, I fell in love with Guinevere when I first began searching for particular roses in earnest. I never got her, but did later see her offered somewhere under the name Louisa Stone. I have a feeling it was either Roses Unlimited or one of the two in Canada, Palatine or Hortico. I’d love to see someone grow it! HMF would be helpful, too.

• Lisa Adams
    3 years ago

I think Frances Meilland is gorgeous, but I remember hearing it grows enormous in our zone. Have you looked at “White Pet”. Charming rose with small, fluffy blooms. It takes shade well, and is very carefree. Lisa

• Jemma Z10Socal
    3 years ago

Lisa,

We share similar taste in roses =)

Would you say the white pet is just as pretty as bolero since I know you like bolero too? I have earth angel in a pot and like the flower. I was thinking I could plant two of those there since I like cutting my roses too. I need something that can take filter sun.

If Frances Meilland roses are not stingy and can take filtered sun I have room for one big shrub there. I just think the rose in pictures looks absolutely breathtaking, wish I could see it and smell in person.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I wanted a white rose right now, I would plant 'Snowbird'.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5840

It is fragrant, blooms prolifically, grows vigrously on its own roots, and is disease-resistant.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    3 years ago

Set er SetzerNo

sheesh, houzzz!! Won’t let my type. I think a noisette, to contrast, with smaller blooms would be pretty. Jeri has this one out there, so it should grow well for you too. Setzer Noisette.

Not an antique, but search here for Bolero. Seems to do well in SoCal too. 😊

• Jemma Z10Socal
    3 years ago

That snowbird looks huge. I was hoping for something smaller =)

• jerijen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

PRUNE?

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    3 years ago

LWP/WP is a good "workhorse", smaller in stature, but not nearly as beautiful or fragrant as Snowbird.

• Jemma Z10Socal
    3 years ago

It does not have to be a perfect white. I just want something beautiful that I can put in a vase and can tolerate shade. Jerjin, yes I can just prune it =) that will keep the plant's shape as well.

Can I ask what do you suggest I put under a rose climber that looks bare at the bottom? It is in partial shade at the bottom and really would like to cover its legs.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    3 years ago

Annapurna, if you can find it nowadays, was a lovely little rose that remained shorter in stature.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm probably the wrong person to ask ... It never bothers me.