SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sean_dalts

Need Help! Fireplace Renovation

sean_dalts
5 years ago

My wife and I recently purchased our first house and we're making multiple updates, one being the fireplace. The fireplace had a lava rock covering that I have removed. I wish we would of considered painting it to see if we liked that look, but didn't think of that until it was already partly demolished. Anyways, I removed all the huge rocks and the large amount of mortar and have been left with what's pictured below. I don't know why this offset design was utilized but it is what it is. We are trying to figure out options for re-framing this fireplace and having built-ins on each side of it. The fireplace has a gas line that is attached to what I think is a sand tray in the firebox but also can supposedly be wood-burning. We're hoping to keep the current gas tray, find a new glass front, and frame around the brick & cinder block stack to then cover with stone about halfway up to a mantel. I have a couple questions:

1) Is it correct that the framing around the actual firebox area should be metal or is wood permissible?

2) Do I need to use concrete board after the framing is up and how high and wide from the firebox do I need to be before using drywall?

3) Anything else I should be thinking about or asking in preparing for this and/or determining if this is a reasonable DIY project?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Fireplace · More Info

Fireplace · More Info

Comments (3)