SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_lee7679797

Can lp gas line be capped off in enclosed space?

David Lee
5 years ago

A few years ago we converted our gas fireplace to wood only. In doing so, I removed the gas line coming into the fireplace insert from a 90 degree fitting. The fireplace is located built in to a wall system that butts up against a bedroom wall and closet. From the closet I cut a small opening to access the gas line that came down from attic and made a few turns to get to the insert. I was able to remove a couple of sections of piping to a point behind the insert and against closet wall. There I installed a gas shutoff valve and plugged the end. It's been ok for several years, but now I'm thinking that was not the safest thing to do. My question is can I install a 90 where the SOV is, removing the SOV and bring the line out into the closet, then install valve or just cap it off? Not sure that's legal either. I though I might try cutting line in attic(after shutting off lp and venting lines) and install cap/plug there, but the branch off main gas line in attic is in between floors, impractical to access. If you are wondering, the insert is rated for gas and wood. There is approximately 12" or more from aft side of insert to gas line, that was there originally when the gas logs were there. My concern is now I'm terminating the gas line inside a wall. Also, if wondering I flipped the fire wall where the hole for gas line came in to move it up and then used firewall patch in that hole to seal. Leak checks were good at that time and I put a small access panel to get to the valve from the closet.

Comment