SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksmetamaid

Grill, wind, and placement safety

ksmetamaid
5 years ago

We need to replace our 10-12 year old Weber Genesis Silver grill due to wind damage. We live on a high elevation point on the plains of Kansas, and I couldn't begin to count the number of times it's been knocked over by wind. A door is off, the handles are off, the side tray is broken, etc., etc. A person of great determination and know-how could maybe make it usable again, but it's beyond us, and we're not within 60 miles of a decent service center.

Originally I was going to place it closer to the house where it would, of course, have been closer to the kitchen, and where it would also have gotten some wind protection. But since safety recommendations were to place 10' away from the house (which is wood siding, btw), it was exposed to wind on all sides.

We have many beautiful days when we're able to enjoy the grill, but also many days of fierce wind. Before buying a new grill...

1. What recommendations would anyone have on preventing the replacement grill from suffering the same type of damage?

2. I googled, and the 10' rule is still advised, but it seems like many people don't adhere to it. I see grills up against houses all the time. Should I be taking it seriously? The grill is sometimes unattended, especially for longer jobs.

Another grill v. wind issue: Although I generally liked our grill, it was very unreliable in winds between about 8 and 15 mph when we might still like to grill. It just wouldn't heat up to temperature as it should, or the flame would just go out. I would try to turn it to offset how it was catching the wind, but that didn't always work. Anyone with experience on this issue? Are there brands or models that are more reliable in this regard?

Thanks.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!