SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jowall22

Worried about my Quercus Rubra (Northern Red Oak)

John Wallace
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I started a Northern Red Oak from an acorn around about 2011 or 2012. It sat in a pot (3 or 5 gallon can't remember which) for a couple of years - certainly through 2 summers. Maybe 3. It grew to probably 3 feet. and just kind of stayed there.

I finally transplanted it to the yard the late spring of 2014. The tap root had kind of spiraled a bit at the bottom of the pot, but it wasn't root bound by any means.

I have also started a number of Willow Oaks and Water Oaks from acorns at the same time but they sat in pots for a year before they were transplanted. Once transplanted, they just took off. I got at least 2 and some times 3 flushes of growth per year of 1-2 feet of growth per flush. Particularly the Water Oaks.

My Northern Red Oak however has grown extremely slowly. Today - 5 years later - It leafs out, but I get 1 flush of growth per year and that's it. It's leafing out now and in the middle of a growth spurt, and it will probably end up about 9 - 10 feet tall and maybe 1" caliper this summer. It appears healthy. It leafs out with healthy looking leaves - not as vigorously or numerous as the water oak - but healthy and green and they persist on the tree through the summer and into the fall.

Meanwhile my water oak that is most comparable in terms of location and sunlight and amount of water that it receives - was started at the same time, but then transplanted after one year instead of 3, it is probably 30-35 feet tall and and 5-6 inch caliper? It will probably be 38 feet tall after all the growth it goes through this season. Super healthy and vigorous. So it's got basically a 2 year head start but is far outpacing the Northern Red Oak.

Anyone got any thoughts on the problems here? Anything to be concerned about. I kind of expected the growth rate to be slow the first year, but for it to pick up years 2 and 3. It just seems to be off. Does anyone know of anything that I could do to help it? Water with Mychorrizae or some kind of fertilizer? Any thoughts here?

FYI - I'm in Nashville, TN. Zone 7a or 7b ish

Comments (11)