Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

Really like my Wal Mart

7 years ago

Lots complain about their WalMart. I haven't any, or at least, in a couple years.

Today, I ordered on line and drove thru the pickup.

Nice lady came to car, gave me her hand to shake, and said my order would be right out.

Sure enough a nice young gentleman put the groceries in the car.


Inside, I find good service. Maybe sometimes one of the youngsters at the checkout is less friendly, but overall I give them a thumbs up.


Maybe? I'm just old and they respect their elders! lol

Comments (40)

  • 7 years ago

    I have a Wal Mart 5 minutes from my house and love it. It's convenient and I can find most everything I need each week. Selection-wise I prefer it over Target when it comes to household and grocery items. Home décor and that type, I do prefer Target.

  • 7 years ago

    The Walmart closest to me, is very nice, clean, nice employees. I have absolutely no problems with it.

  • Related Discussions

    Wal-Mart finds getting better!

    Q

    Comments (10)
    Here is a picture taken today of the variegated one. It's leaves have gotten much larger. Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I do find a lot of those little Angels and Elves running around my plants. Aggie2 the label on the pot says grown by Costa Farms in Goulds Fl. I don't know if they sell retail or not but it might be worth a road trip.
    ...See More

    My clearance from Wal-Mart

    Q

    Comments (11)
    I'm not good at IDing bulbs, but those are all very pretty... I bought 2 bulbs from Wallyworld that were labeled White Dazzler... one turned out to be Minerva, and the other leafed out and didn't bloom this year... I'm fine with the Minerva, but I wonder what the other one is? I also bought 3 Red Lions from Wallyworld, all tagged... they all bloomed red, but there were slight differences between them that makes me think they might not all have been Red Lions... They were all beautiful flowers, and the bulbs are all healthy... and I'm not disappointed in what I received... but it just goes to show that when you pay bargain basement prices, you often get bargain basement items... I still need a white flowered bulb for my breeding program! I think I will order a white one from Royal Colors or John Scheepers next fall...
    ...See More

    Tiny lil Wal-Mart cacti and succs

    Q

    Comments (3)
    I usually use google image search to ID things. It isnt always right but here's what I found: 1.Tephrocactus articulatus v. papyracanthus 2. F. tuberculosa 3. I don't really know, but google images says it looks like Gymnocalycium ragonesei 4. Haworthia fasciata
    ...See More

    Yellow Violas at Wal*Mart + Spring Fever

    Q

    Comments (1)
    I don't know Dallas Johnson, but he's got about 6 acres of greenhouses in Council Bluffs. My brother owned a house right by the place, but they only wholesale, no retail.
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I think there's variability from one to another, I'm sure it's something management knows about and works to improve.

    Those who have good experiences with conveniently located and well run locations have good reason to give their local Walmart their business, the experiences and views of others don't change anything.

  • 7 years ago

    I like Walmart. Sure, the cashiers are not always happy to see you, but I have had several good experiences with very helpful and nice employees. I like how i can get pretty much everything i need in one trip. I WAS a touch irritated on my last trip though, because they only had 3 cashiers, and the lines were ridiculous, and they did not have any self checkout lanes open. I love self checkout. This was 11 am on a Saturday, surely one of their busier times. When I asked, the cashier that i went to told me that they didn't have anyone to monitor and assist the self checkout. She wasn't happy about it either, and was not trying to hide it. But overall, I like it and go there for my big stock up trips. I go to a Winn dixie for small, in between purchases, because its closer. Or I will go to publix, because i enjoy shopping there. But for the most part, its walmart or amazon for me.

  • 7 years ago

    I think the locality makes a difference, maybe somewhat the management also. The one near me has issues but I still go there, I don't have anything against Walmart as a whole, just think it's too big to make improvements easily. I went to management not long ago about the fact that the brand new plants in the garden center (and I mean racks of them) were all almost dead. The answer was that there were staffing problems and they hadn't been moved off the racks or watered in 4 days. I wanted to say to the manager that in that case it seems like a manager could take an hour and at least try to water them but I didn't, that wasn't the mountain I wanted to die on that day. I especially don't get why Target's stores are so neat, clean and all the items are in the right place and priced correctly and then you go to Walmart and it's just a mess. The staff there also seem to be willing to help more than the ones at Walmart. The staff at Walmart seems to be always in a gloomy mood all the time.

  • 7 years ago

    Have a Winn Dixie close to me, and I hate going there, but do when I want a good roast, particularly.

    No one really want to help, and seem a chore to them when you do.

    Good meats, but not so good service.

    I don't buy meats from Wal Mart.

    Yep, I think the locality of the store depends on the service, too.

    One nearest my son, you could not pay me to go to that Wal Mart.

  • 7 years ago

    We have several Walmarts . Some are better stocked than others. I really like the Neighborhood Walmart that is set up mainly as a grocery. I think the anti Walmart thing is mostly an elitist bias. It's silly to pay more for the same products sold for to 3 times as much elsewhere. I buy all my basic pantry and freezer items there.

    Just the other day I had to return a box of frozen goods to Safeway. They let the items set in the aisles too long and they thaw and then get refrozen when the items finally get put in the freezers. It's not the first time it's happened.

    Never had had quality control problems with Walmart. Their food safety seems superior to some of the grocers. The cooling areas are always cold. Pallets of chilled or frozen goods are put away as they come out. Grocers often have barely chilled milk on the shelves and outdated product. I am talking about well known chains like Safeway, Nob Hill/Raleys and Luckys.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I have shopped Walmart for outdoor seat cushions. I paid $5ea/4.5" thick w/ piping & zippers. They have a 5 year warranty, said compare to Sunbrella on them. After 2 years...they still look brand new! I like their nursery plants, they carry a 1 year warranty...and I buy spray paint there. Fabric. I just don't go there more than ....say....four times a year.

    Walmart just has a weird vibe.

  • 7 years ago

    Mine was good ten years ago, but it’s really going downhill fast now. I am going once a week for mostly bird and fish food. 6 weeks ago, they were out of the big cans of pond flakes. I told the girl rearranging dog food. Two weeks later they were out of the middle sized cans, too. Now they are down to a couple of the tiny cans. A lot of shelves stay empty for a long time. The only highlight is the lady with the highlighter at the exit. She still has to count my bags of bird food since I refuse to put them in plastic bags, but it’s a nice weekly chat by now.

  • 7 years ago

    Glenda mentioned that she doesn't buy their meat. I don't either, and haven't for years. It may have improved, but I haven't given it another chance. The produce is always fresh and I like the brand of cold cuts they sell in the deli...Prima Della.

    I always buy several boxes of their soap pads, which I think are as good as SOS, at only a dollar a box.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I don't like ours, but it's always packed. I prefer Target. Much cleaner and better organized. I imagine it varies considerably by region.

  • 7 years ago

    I love my Neighborhood Walmart! It's clean and organized, the produce is good, I really like savingscatcher but since that is ending, I'll have to branch out a bit for sale items at other stores, I was buying my Publix BOGO items at Walmart. I never wait in line because I use self checkout. I also like the Walmart app-if I can't find something it tells me which aisle its in! I also love the free 2 day shopping if items are sent to the store. There are several Walmarts by me and the quality of them varies a lot! My Neighborhood Walmart hosted an outdoor movie behind the store last Friday. I asked them how it went-about 100 people came.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I used to love Target. I don't like to shop and I loved the convenience of so many items under on roof. Also they were quiet stores without annoying background music so it made the shopping experience peaceful.

    Now they are remodeling them. No more organized aisles. Now there are random islands of merchandise and you have to run a maze to gather the few items you may have gone in for. It like a mini Ikea rat maze. To add insult they have piped in music that corporate chooses, running a constant loop. Apparently there is no volume control.

    Worst is with their new online system, the shelves are empty of basic stock for weeks on end. Simple things like laundry detergent or bar soap. I have noticed local Targets to have fewer shoppers in them these days. Maybe I am not the only customer that is annoyed by the above.

    It's a shame because they are clean friendly stores otherwise. I predict this new updated image will end poorly for them. In a few years they will start closing stores and go the way of KMart, Sears and others who forgot who their real customers were and left them behind trying to be edgy and hip.

  • 7 years ago

    I used to do all my grocery buying at Kroger, but have switched to Walmart for the grocery pickup. Haven't been in a store in quite a while. I have been very pleased with the quality of foods from Walmart . Quick trip to the neighborhood store, pleasant people load the food into the trunk and I am happy. There is a Kroger that offers this service but they are a few miles away. I am glad I can manage this on my own and don't have to rely on others for groceries.


  • 7 years ago

    There are three Walmarts within easy driving distance plus an even closer neighborhood store. Only been in the neighborhood store once and found the items I wanted were always on the top shelf with no staff tall enough to reach them. One treats their staff like dirt. One is always understaffed and very noisy no matter the time of day. The one I mainly shop at treats their employees decently. When a couple developed health problems they were not let go but either switched to other duties or allowed to sit with frequent breaks. Mostly I purchase cat food and paper goods. The Targets are under staffed and unlike the ones mentioned above are poorly stocked and in odd places. Last time I was there they were putting candy between patio furniture and electronics. They still had some chocolate on the regular shelves but very little of it.

  • 7 years ago

    Target is nearby, but I seldom go there. My preference Wal Mart.

  • 7 years ago

    Target is my go to for Christmas and Halloween lights. Otherwise it usually doesn't carry everything I need. Its way farther away from the walmart anyway. But I do enjoy shopping there when I do. I just dont go there for my normal shopping.

  • 7 years ago

    I love my Walmart. It's neat and clean, employees are friendly and helpful. It's about 5 miles from my house, HEB is 2 miles away, but I always shop Walmart first, except for a very few things that I prefer from HEB. Target is about 50 miles, so I've only been in it a few times, and didn't much like it.

    I'm really glad to see people liking Walmart, I've never thought it deserved the bad-mouthing it's gotten so much of!

    Rusty

  • 7 years ago

    Our local Walmart is clean, well stocked, and for the most part the employees are friendly. I really like the Walmart Market, it's so quiet in there! I can get what I need and not walk a mile. I have never liked Target, I'm not sure why.

  • 7 years ago

    I love Walmart. I also buy from Costco because they deliver, but Walmart is close by, has good prices, is clean and has friendly staff.

  • 7 years ago

    If people would complain to the corporate office when they have issues at their local stores...things would be changed! Our Walmart stores where I live are way understaffed and employees are having to do the work of what used to be FOUR or FIVE people! All in order for their store managers to "GET THAT BONUS!" They get extra bonuses if their payroll is low! This is a Walmart policy that NEEDS TO END!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    There have been Walmarts I like just fine. I'm irritated with and like my current Walmart. I like the pickup part. When they have what I want/need: problem 1. I am an early riser (continually earlier and earlier?!), and on Saturdays, they won't have cashiers until a certain time: problem 2, only self checkout, which is fine, but the line can get too long, so they obviously need to move the time cashiers start to an earlier time, and it's not unusual for there to be issues with the cash registers: problem 3. Recently, I ordered something online which they subbed out and I never got it. Their online customer service was STELLAR. No exaggeration. I'm really picky and I wouldn't change a thing they did. I even love the way they worded their emails.

  • 7 years ago

    Glenda, if you read my post I am wondering if the al stands for Alabama? My son and daughter are moving around the Birmingham area. Do you know anything about that area weather wise or whatever? We currently live in Michigan which is a cold climate, sounds like Alabama gets a lot of hot humid weather? What do you like about your state? Thank you.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I have a nice Walmart too but it’s a 20 min. drive. I go about every 2 months or so. Target is much closer but for some reason I avoid going there. Seems like when I go with a list, I can’t find several things that I need. I don’t enjoy shopping, and when I do I need to complete the list!

    Remember these big stores: Zodys, Gemco, Fedco (so. Calif)? Does Kmart still exist?

    Glenda, how helpful to have that pickup service!

  • 7 years ago

    I have access to several nearby Walmarts. I don't go often, but the newer ones are nice. They don't have selection like they used to. If I need to run in and out for something, it works.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm always at Walmart, there one right by my work and its so convenient for all those little things I need. Mostly household items.

  • 7 years ago

    Katrina I have fb friends in Birmingham. As in all areas of the south it is hot and humid. However their hot is mid to low 90's. The humidity will make it feel worse than our 100+. They have had an increase in tornados these past two years.

  • 7 years ago

    I love WM's grocery pick up! I hadn't gone in a while and they sent me a coupon to come back and save $10 off a $50 order. Sweet! The only complaint I've had so far is my last order had 3 or 4 items out of stock. They let me know upfront so that was nice, I was just disappointed in not getting what I ordered. One item was substituted - a 6 oz black pepper for the price of a 3 oz. Now I have a huge pepper container. lol

  • 7 years ago

    Katrina, I am pretty sure Glenda lives in B'ham. I am sure she will be back and answer all of your questions.

  • 7 years ago

    maifleur and rob, thanks. I used to live in Arkansas and I was thinking of Alabama as a hotter Arkansas. Do they have the dreaded chiggers? I remember them well. I bet it beats shoveling snow though. There's always a trade off.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I've never had a chigger. I've lived here 44 of 52 years. I've lived on the west Coast and in the South Pacific. Yes, there is always a trade off! On the Coast, I never saw seasons change, same weather every day. Living on an island, everything has to be shipped in and there are even fewer fluctuations in weather (at least on the Coast, the day has changes from cooler to warmer), unless you count hurricane season?!

  • 7 years ago

    We have a small Walmart 3 blocks away. It has that "neighborhood feel" . It's always clean and the employees are great. I'll pick that store any day. Before they built it .... people in my city went crazy - No Walmart No Walmart ! Now that's it's built , it's constantly crowded. I bet alot of those protesters are shopping there now ! LOL

  • 7 years ago

    The Wal-Mart closest to us is much better than it was a few years ago. But when I enter thru the garden shop I forget there are no carts near the entrance. Always makes me mad I have to go back outside and find a cart in the parking lot.

    And sometimes they don’t have the shelves re-stocked very well in the middle of the day with common things. So I end up going to Publix anyway.

  • 7 years ago

    Walmart is good here, except check out lanes. But I see that at every big super store locally. We also have Meijer's in Michigan. Same thing, good supply and prices but check out can be a nightmare. People must like them, there are always busy.

  • 7 years ago

    There is no Walmart near me, and so I've never been inside of one. Land prices are too high for Walmart to want to build here, but my niece in Austin orders her groceries on line and then picks them up at a Walmart near her without going inside the store. She hates grocery shopping, but I actually enjoy it. My sister in Austin hates grocery shopping, but I believe she still goes inside the stores. Although she has a lot of good options, she does all her grocery shopping at HEB. When I visit her, I go to Whole Foods instead. At home I prefer small markets to large ones - I'm not a one-stop shopper, and I think I picked up that habit in San Francisco, where I would go to many different markets that specialized in different ingredients. I really miss having a fruit/vegetable market near me, but I can go to several different farmers' markets for that.

  • 7 years ago

    I want to make it clear that my refusal to shop at Walmart has nothing to do with elitism. I have always had a large problem with their business model and hold them responsible for the closings of many, many mom-and-pops. I also resent the fact that so many of their employees have to depend on the federal government for survival, though profits are gigantic. Yes, W is not the only store that does this now, but they were the leader.

  • 7 years ago

    In my area when I was growing up there were stores whose employees did not make enough and relied on charities to make up the difference. Walmart was not the first to do this nor will they be the last.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Walmart supplies jobs for people who would not otherwise have those jobs. I know many people are very happy to be employed there.

    How many jobs did those mom and pops provide? What kind of benefits do mom and pops provide? Mom and pops survived back in the day because they were family owned and run. Those that are in business today are often run on that exact same business model. Family. You see that a lot with businesses run by new immigrants .

    You want more mom and pop businesses? Then stop with pushing the higher and higher minimum wage. It doesn't work. It hurts small business, especially the restaurant trade and inflates prices. I frequent a place that recently had to cut their hours of operation. It was either that or close it's doors.

    Don't blame Walmart. Their business model helps both the people who want to work and the consumers who can't afford to shop at Whole Paycheck.

  • 7 years ago

    You know, Walmart and other large companies create a lot of jobs that require little to no training,education, or experience. You cant expect them to offer 6 figures a year to a cashier or a stocker. No one is forced to work there.

    I am willing to bet that the vast majority of those employees that rely on government help to make ends meet are unmarried women with children. That is a tough (though largely preventable) circumstance. But you cant expect Walmart or anyone else to raise the pay of unskilled workers to more than what that job is worth to support the life you WANT. These jobs and others like them, such as fast food,etc that are screaming for 15 bucks an hour minimum because they need it used to be for kids to earn extra money and learn basic job skills. Now that adults are taking them over, there is this argument that the companies must raise the wage to support an adult lifestyle,including a family. That's insane and shows a level of entitlement that borders on vulgar. Walmart is not the problem here.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio