SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I'll Show You Mine/You Show Me Yours - Fr 4/12

Annie Deighnaugh
5 years ago

Today is National Big Wind Day...the anniversary of the highest wind gust recorded on earth at 231 mph on top of Mt Washington NH.

Comments (30)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Damage from 4 tornadoes coming through our state in May 2018...

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

• OklaMoni
    5 years ago

December 20 last year, really windy, but I was out on my bike anyway. WOW, look at that spray...

• lgmd_gaz
    5 years ago

No 'wind blown' picture here, but my mind is blown away by the disappearance of 2 pieces of this just completed wood puzzle. At over $100.00 this amounts to a major loss. All was there when daughter did the puzzle before giving it to me.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

gaz...so sorry.

---------------------------

The sign was in front of this tree...

• Adella Bedella
    5 years ago

No wind pictures. I took these yesterday.

The perfect flower...

• susanwv
    5 years ago

Oh, I love pinks !! At least that’s what we call them. No wind pics, just a Puddy

cat.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Funny, some range maps put porcupines in our area but I have never seen one nor seen signs of dog/porcupine interaction either.

• glenda_al
    5 years ago

parasailing

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

Not enough time to look through so many pictures to find the elusive wind so here is Carmelita after her "Aunt Di" gave her Brownie, her new favorite toy.

• bob_cville
    5 years ago

Several years ago my brothers and I took a trip to New Hampshire and as one of the activities we climbed Mt Washington

There is a sign on one of the buildings attesting to the wind Annie mentioned:

The chain reportedly is to hold the building down in the event of such winds

The vast bulk of people who visit the summit ride up on this cog railway

A group from the train was in front of us on the stairs up to the snack bar/gift shop

and a lady in that group stopped in front of us exclaiming "Whew this is quite a climb"

This is a panoramic view from the top

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

• Lars
    5 years ago

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bob, DH and I took the cog train... a lot easier that way! :)

• jtc
    5 years ago

Bob_cville, very handsome men in your family.

• kittywhiskers
    5 years ago

Just finished this one.

• Fun2BHere
    5 years ago

No pictures of wind. How about a flower?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Row of big windmills in Oklahoma.

• bob_cville
    5 years ago

jtc, Thanks. Of course I believe the middle brother by age (and by position in the above picture) is the handsomest. :-)

The youngest (on the right) started the hike with us, but less than 20 minutes in he turned around to go back since he was feeling not-so-good (hungover from the previous night). He then drove the rental car to the top of the mountain to meet us. We taunt him about that to this day (because ... brothers) but truthfully it had taken us long enough to climb up that we'd not likely have made it back down to our car by sunset. And taking the cog train down wasn't really an option since it goes down the opposite side of the mountain and would have deposited us 42 miles away (by roads) from our car. So we were really happy he wimped out on the hike.

Many rental car companies near Mt Washington have specific clauses in their rental contracts prohibiting you from driving the rental up Mt Washington. Since we all flew into Providence RI, the rental agency we used didn't have such a clause. But after having driven down Mt Washington, which led to the brakes literally smoking, I can see why they prohibit it.

• caflowerluver
    5 years ago

Also called "Windflower".

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

bob_chilled, ("_cville" please, Artful Autocorrect - I DO know what I'm talking about!)

Had you guys been driving a car with a standard tranny ...

... the gearbox of your choice and the engine would have cut down a lot in your smoking brake issue - maybe even completely.

(Would have used more gas, though, even while no foot on the throttle).

ole joyful

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

Nicole - my porcupine just eats my Anderson French door!

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Sorry, no windy picture. You know, I always thought the pictures with the bird feeders in catalogs were photoshopped. Maybe not. They are eating me out of house and home.

• blubird
    5 years ago

How beautiful, Iris. I have a thistle feeder up year round, but I never see the yellow ones during the winter here in NJ. I’ve been told they change color here and look to be a medium brown. Hoping to see the bright yello guys soon.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

They just changed their color again recently. It sounds like a pet shop out there. Love it!

• bob_cville
    5 years ago

> my porcupine just eats my Anderson French door!

But of course, who doesn't love french food.

• bob_cville
    5 years ago

> Had you guys been driving a car with a standard tranny the gearbox of your choice and the engine would have cut down a lot in your smoking brake issue - maybe even completely.

I don't think any place rents standard transmissions cars, I'm not sure anywhere even sells them anymore. We did try putting the automatic transmission in low, thinking that would accomplish the same thing and use the engine to help brake the car, but despite being in "low", the automatic transmission still kept shifting on its own into the top gear, which goes against my understanding of how an automatic is supposed to work.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

maire....nuthatches(little bitty birds) are chipping the stucco off my house, the tops of the dormers. We tried to figure out what had changed, the house has been here for 11 years & they just started. We added a signal amplifier to an antennae & it must emit a sound WE can't hear, that sounds like insects to them? We moved it and that dormer is safe...now they started on another one, there's a clock ticking in that room......and so it goes....