SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkponder2

Disease or insect damage in pine tree

PKponder TX Z7B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This is a friend's pine tree, we don't know what sort of pine it is. The tree was planted by a former homeowner. Location is just southwest of Fort Worth Texas and pines don't grow here normally so this was possibly a bad choice for the climate/soil. All that being said, this is a rather mature tree, probably 25-30 feet in height with a trunk girth of around 30 inches. She just noticed this unsightly oozing last year. Weather was hot and dry during the spring when it was first noticed, then we had a really wet summer (broke some rainfall records). The stuff breaks off fairly easily and looks like dried sap and maybe fungus causing the whitish appearance. It is not as gooey as it looks, it's dry and hardened. There is no discernible odor.

I appreciate any input that you all may have.

Overall trunk

Focus on the oozing

I am including closeups of new needle growth and the rather small cone in case those would help ID the specific variety and increase the chance of a diagnosis. Overall the needles look fine, I don't see much browning or signs of rust. The cone is small, no longer than 1.5 inches.

Thanks in advance for looking!

Edited to add that it was planted far too close to the structure, we are aware.

Comments (3)