SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Tea anyone?.......

amylou321
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Do you drink tea? I have started drinking it more and more as an alternative to diet soda, though I still drink that some as well. I have long heard about the benefits of green tea, so that is what I drink and have for years and years. I prefer tea to be very cold. I dont like hot tea and hate coffee. I try to keep some in the fridge.
Here's how I make mine.
(Disclaimer, I have the most beautiful pink kettle that I keep on the stove and use to boil water for hot water bottles and such, but not for tea. I dont know why. Just weird I guess.)
I fill my 2 quart saucepan with water,cover it and bring it to barely a boil. Then I take it off the heat and add 5 green tea bags, 5 green tea with matcha bags, and 2 of the big quart size herbal tea bags. The lipton strawberry watermelon flavor, just to put some different flavor into it. Once it steeps and i take the tea bags out, I cover it and let it cool before i put it in the pitcher and into the fridge to chill.I just bought some "berry hibiscus" herbal tea bags and some peach black tea bags that I will try to see if I like the flavor mixed with the green tea. I wish I had the patience to do the loose tea. But I dont and there is no use worrying about that is there?
No sweeteners. I like sweet tea well enough. (This is the south after all) But I dont mind the unsweet so I drink it that way. I have some liquid stevia to sweeten it with by the glass if I am so moved to do so.
Do you like tea? How do you make/drink it?

Comments (48)

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    5 years ago

Sweet Luzianne iced tea, southern all the way.

amylou321 thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

I like hot tea. Either plain black tea or Lady Grey. With half a teaspoon of sugar. For iced tea, I brew tea in a tall glass pitcher by steeping 4 or 5 tea bags in about 6 cups of hot water. When it cools, I add cold water and refrigerate. I sometimes add a slice of lemon to my glass but no sugar or sweeteners. I like tea now more than I did when I was younger and I seem to dislike soda entirely.

amylou321 thanked Elizabeth
  • Related Discussions

Tea Anyone? ...Part 1

Q

Comments (7)
    What a cozy feeling your last pic and the lighting in it creates!(your candles are wonderful!) I'd love a nice retreat from the rain (lots here too!) and a warm "cuppa" from your lovely blue/white tea set. DD
    ...See More

Tea Anyone ... Part 2

Q

Comments (8)
    I can't imagine why your DH doesn't like those cups in the first pic...they are very nice and don't seem "too dainty" for a guy. I REALLY love your Dutch girl! My Dad is from Holland and I would love to have something like that as a "heritage" item. She does go very well with the windmill plates! DD
    ...See More

Tea Anyone... Part 3

Q

Comments (6)
    I have recently started making Scottish Shortbread Cookies and they are perfect with my prefered vanilla coffee. It just takes 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup of butter, and only 1/4 cup of sugar. Mix it up with your hands. Roll it up and Chill to firm up, slice and cook on ungreased 350' oven for 17 minutes or until they turn the """""slightest"""" color of brown on the edges. Length of baking time varies based on how thick you slice your cookies. When the cookies are done I will be right over to have tea with you!!!! : ) susie
    ...See More

green tea anyone?

Q

Comments (13)
    I'm sure it doesn't have the amount of "true" green tea leaves in it than some other brands, but I like Celestial Seasoning's box of green tea and mint. It's quite refreshing during the summer. I just make refrigerator tea now (putting some tea bags and cold water in a pitcher or plastic carafe and then into the fridge). There are a couple variations of it on the shelf -- the box is green and black.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

We drink both here. Lipton family size tea bags in a half gallon pitcher steeped in the fridge overnight is our iced tea. I have an electric tea kettle that I use to heat water for my hot tea. Almost always every afternoon that I'm home, I fix a pot of tea around 3:30.

amylou321 thanked User
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We used to make "sun tea" when I was growing up. You know, put tea bags in water in a glass sun tea pitcher thing and leave it out in the summer sun for a few hours. I dont remember it tasting any different than regular tea that my parents made in the coffee machine. Anyone do that?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I like it both hot and cold but unsweetened iced black tea is my drink of choice. I use Liptons Cold Brew family sized tea bags and keep a gallon or so in the frig year round and drink several large glasses every day.......sometimes the entire gallon!

For hot tea, I go the old fashioned (and British) route and use loose tea in a teapot. And I like hot tea lightly sweetened and with milk.

I don't care for most flavored teas and herb teas not at all. Green tea is OK and I do drink it with any oriental foods but it doesn't have enough "tea" taste for me for iced tea.

amylou321 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

The berry-hibiscus mentioned above makes a better iced tea than a hot beverage for me. While I love black teas especially Earl Grey, Lady Grey and a cardamom flavored one because of the fermentation process I can seldom drink more than a cup without my eyes starting to itch. I do keep several canisters that I open and smell.

amylou321 thanked maifleur01
  • Michael
    5 years ago

Spiced Chai with added black pepper. We make a picture of iced tea with Cold Brew and add a whole lime (squeezed).

amylou321 thanked Michael
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Oddly enough, I only drink it when I'm at a full-on science meeting. Don't know what that has to do with it. I'm actually a coffee nut. It may be that urn coffee is unpalatable at those meetings, so I opt for the other.

amylou321 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

A question for tea drinkers. I watch a certain YT foodie and they have mentioned that in at least the part of China their are from they wash the tea leaves quickly with hot water before brewing. Does anyone on here follow that method? If so does it make a difference in the flavor of the tea.

• wanda_va
    5 years ago

I have an iced tea maker. I use Lipton Decaffeinated family-sized tea bags, and sweeten with a little bit of Stevia. Because it is decaf, I can (and do) drink it morning, noon, and night. I love the iced tea maker, because I drink more than 2 quarts of tea each day.

amylou321 thanked wanda_va
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

I like unsweetened iced tea, and sweetened with sugar, hot tea. I have a "special" little teapot that I make hot tea in, and drink it as sort of a ritual when I am contemplating some kind of issue in my life. A time to sit quietly, think, and reflect.

amylou321 thanked marilyn_c
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Caffeinated iced tea doesn't bother me at all. There is generally a glass on my bedside table in case I get thirsty at night :-) Which I usually do!

• quasifish
    5 years ago

I'm getting ready to make a cup of hot black tea with honey and lemon juice. It's not something I drink year round, but it does seem to help with hay fever (as well as sore throat and cough). I use to drink red rooibos tea (which is suppose to be a natural antihistamine), but I don't think it works much better than the black and it's an acquired taste that I seem to be losing- not to mention our local store has stopped carrying it.

I also drink ice tea from time to time and am currently using up a jar of unsweetened tea powder, which I mix with a little sugar and add lemon juice. For me, adding the lemon juice to black tea eliminates a certain flavor in the black tea that I find unpleasant.

Not too long ago, I was telling someone about a Chinese restaurant that my family would go to when I was very young (early 70s). I can still remember distinctly the wonderful smell of the tea there and recently went looking to see if I could figure out what kind of tea it was. I bought several different types of tea associated with Chinese restaurants- none of which came close to what I remembered- and then ultimately came to the realization that they served good old Lipton. Probably what the patrons in that time and place could appreciate, as well as being readily available in a remote location.

amylou321 thanked quasifish
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I love tea, green, Earl Grey, or otherwise. Formosa oolong too.

But although I was born in Kentucky (which is south) not a drop of sweetener, whether sugar or fake, will touch it if you expect me to drink it.

amylou321 thanked artemis_ma
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

A comment about the Chinese restaurant tea. The last few times I have had tea at a Chinese restaurant it was no longer a black tea. The flavor was so delicate that without the liquid having a little color I might as well have been drinking hot water. In this area they used to serve Red Roses tea of the type you can now only find in Canada.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

I have been gifted with some unique specialty teas with directions to steep/rinse. I have noticed that what I throw out has a dusty taste. I like Stash Jasmine Green Tea and have it most mornings. I also love lavender Earl Grey.

amylou321 thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

Amy, I am glad you are getting away from diet soda. Please try to make it a permanent thing. Those artificial sweeteners are bad for you.

I drink decaf coffee, although I have been doing hot lemon water and then a cold glass of water in the mornings. Then, if I choose, coffee can become almost like a snack later in the day.

I like caffeinated teas. I find the decaf one to be "fishy." I like English Breakfast.

I wish I liked the herbals, but I just don't.

I never make iced tea, but I should! When I order it out, I like to add my own sugar. I will never buy it already sweetened.

amylou321 thanked eld6161
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Traditional Chinese restaurant tea is typically oolong - neither green nor black but somehere in between :-) But it is a lot more expensive than standard old black tea bags, like Liptons or Tetley or Red Rose and those tend to appeal more to western palettes as well :-) I tend to avoid Chinese restaurants that serve tea in metal pots with tea bags hanging out the side!!

Dynasty makes a product that is called 'Chinese Restaurant Tea' - it is a blend of oolong, green tea and jasmine scented green tea.

• lonestar123
    5 years ago

I drink lipton decaf iced tea year round with sugar twin . Don't like any hot drinks.

amylou321 thanked lonestar123
  • phyllis__mn
    5 years ago

I collect teapots, but have certain ones that I actually use. I prefer using loose tea in a tea ball, and a bit of honey for the sweetener. Family gifts me with different teas, which I love. I think currently I am preferring a black with a touch of pomegranate. A friend drops in and we have her favorite, a green tea from Aldi's. It is really very. good.

amylou321 thanked phyllis__mn
  • chisue
    5 years ago

Tea bags were invented to make tea fast, and to use up the bits and pieces that break off tea leaves when they are being processed. I've never had tea made from a tea bag that could compare with brewed tea. (Not an iced tea fan; prefer hot.)

DH and I make tea in a pre-warmed teapot, steeping tea leaves in a teaball with just-off-the-boil water (3 - 5 minutes). We like jasmine best. We have a pot almost every afternoon, with cookies and a prerecorded TV program. Nice picker-upper.

amylou321 thanked chisue
  • Lars
    5 years ago

I go to a tea shop to buy loose tea, and my favorite is Fancy Keemun. I drink one or two cups of tea every morning, and I never drink coffee, except when I am on vacation or traveling to a place that is famous for coffee, especially places where the coffee is grown. Tea seems to travel better than coffee, but I've never been to a place where tea is grown, and so I can't say from experience.

I used to make sun tea, but I found that I preferred tea that had been brewed in hot water for three minutes. I found sun tea (or cold brewed tea) to have more of a bitter taste. I think it is very important not to overbrew tea, and I generally let it steep for no more than three minutes.

I have some Japanese roasted green tea that I drink from time to time, but I also like the unroasted green tea, although black tea is my favorite.

amylou321 thanked Lars
  • NewEnglandgal
    5 years ago

I am not a coffee drinker so do drink hot teas, many flavored. I also like No Sugar Added Big Train Chai (it is a powder). It is so delicious and yummy. I do not drink it every day because it still has sugar in it but man I absolutely love the stuff!

amylou321 thanked NewEnglandgal
  • caflowerluver
    5 years ago

I drink hot tea every afternoon in the winter and iced tea in the warm months. I grew up drinking tea since I was 4 or younger. My grandmother made what she called "Cambridge tea" which was more milk than tea with a heaping teaspoon of sugar. I still drink it that way, but not with as much milk or sugar. Most of the time I drink Black tea with a teaspoon of honey, sometimes with lemon slice.

I drink all kinds of teas like Green tea, Oolong tea and different variaties of Black tea like English & Irish Breakfast, Darjeeling, Assam, Keemun, Laosang, and Ceylon. I also like lots of flower teas like hibiscus, rosehip and chamomile. And mint tea is great for the digestion. I use to drink a lot of premade Oregon Chai, but not as much anymore.

amylou321 thanked caflowerluver
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I love either Harney’s or Smith’s green tea. I just drink it plain when I want something in the afternoon. I drink half-caff coffee we grind and brew fresh in the morning. But sometimes a cup of tea is just what I want in the middle of the afternoon.

When I make a pitcher of tea for guests, it’s Luzianne and I do not add sweetener of any kind. Everyone adds their own sugar or I make a simple syrup and serve that in a small pitcher for people to add. Luzianne has much better flavor than Lipton or Tetley.

amylou321 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I try to avoid caffeine - not good if one has fibrocystic breast disease (lumpy breasts). I adore Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger herbal tea. It's good hot or cold. Very refreshing with nothing added.

amylou321 thanked Anglophilia
  • Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

Hubs and I both like coffee very much, but we also very much like tea. I like both hot tea and iced tea, but Hubs only likes hot tea. Two of our favorite hot teas are Paris and Hot Cinnamon Spice, both from Harney & Sons. If you go to their site, to the page to request a catalog, you can download a PDF of their 2018-2019 catalog - you'll be amazed at all of the different teas they offer!

amylou321 thanked Lindsey_CA
  • satine_gw
    5 years ago

I was recently introduced to Good Earth Organic sweet and spicy tea. It is so good that even though Im a coffee drinker I usually have at least a cup of this tea during the day. It is hard to find so I have been ordering directly from Good Earth.

amylou321 thanked satine_gw
  • caflowerluver
    5 years ago

satine -gw - I have been drinking Good Earth tea since first trying it at their restaurants in California in the late 1970's. I haven't had some for awhile. I will have to get some. It kind of reminded me of my mom's favorite, Constant Comment.

amylou321 thanked caflowerluver
  • Bookwoman
    5 years ago

We're very fond of McNulty's in NYC, which has an amazing selection of teas (and coffees): https://mcnultys.com/

amylou321 thanked Bookwoman
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

I love hot tea, but don't care for iced (it upsets my stomach for some reason). My go to is good ol' Liptons sweetened with Stevia, but I also like Lyon's, Revolution White Pear and Twinings Peppermint. My all time favorite was Good Earth's Cocoa Tango, but it's been discontinued. It had a hint of chocolate paired with chili pepper and I just loved it. I loved it so much that I'm trying to duplicate it at home. Haven't succeeded yet, but have been close a few times.

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • glenda_al
    5 years ago

Not a tea drinker. Prefer iced water

amylou321 thanked glenda_al
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I've been drinking tea since before I was a kindergarten dropout. I grew up on Lipton's but now I use Red Rose. I never liked the taste of coffee until I was about 50 or so, and still drink it only at work -- one cup in the morning.

I agree with whoever mentioned the fishy smell and taste of some decaf tea - Lipton's is the worst. Red Rose is fine as is Tetley. When I lived in CA Bromley's was my favorite -- it wasn't available here (I don't think it is now either)

I don't make it strong, either. I use 2 or 3 bags and fill my quart thermos pot, then have hot tea all morning. Even in summer I start the day with hot tea.

Most of my life I preferred my tea with lemon and sugar, but the past few years now just drink it plain. I generally don't like any herb or flavored teas -- rarely in winter I will brew a cup of Constant Comment, which will satisfy that urge for weeks if not months.

However I got a turmeric/honey/ginger hot tea once, from a coffee shop called Aroma, that was sooo good! I've tried some similar blends from the grocery/Trader Joe's but didn't really care for them; something is missing.

I always boil my water when making tea -- here the water supply is pretty good, but occasionally (especially if it has been raining a lot) it will have a funky odor or taste which boiling removes.

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • lisa_fla
    5 years ago

I drink lots of tea-iced tea or hot, all day long. The iced tea is made in an iced tea maker with a 1/2 gallon pitcher. Hot tea is made with hot water dispensed thru a coffee machine similar to a Keurig. For years I used Red Rose, but stopped when they stopped putting the collectible figurines in the boxes. Since then I’ve tried Lipton, Luzianne, and even Walmart Great Value @nd they are all good! Sometimes I find my hot tea has gotten cold ( with trivia and creamer in it) and its good cold like that.

amylou321 thanked lisa_fla
  • jemdandy
    5 years ago

I like iced tea on a hot summer day. I should limit my caffeine intake after 2 pm else it'll interfere with getting a good night;s sleep.

amylou321 thanked jemdandy
  • User
    5 years ago

My all time favourite has always been Red Rose Orange Pekoe, but I'll take Tetley Tea as well. I have a cupboard FULL of herbal teas from Davids Tea. I don't drink it often, but I have about 50+ choices when I do want a cup. I used to drink a couple cups of tea every night after dinner. I need to get back into that habit again.

amylou321 thanked User
  • jill302
    5 years ago

Another lover of both Good Earth and Constant Comment teas. Luckily I can find both at my grocery store. Not a big herbal fan. We have iced tea made with an ice tea maker a good portion of the year, we usually use Lipton but I think I may want to branch out and try something different soon. Enjoying learning about all the different options here.

amylou321 thanked jill302
  • sjerin
    5 years ago

Every day I drink several cups of a tea a day someone gave me and that I subsequently found on Amazon for less than WF sells it. It's very light and organic; I hesitate to state the name because I'm thinking the amazon algorithm will shoot the price up if more people look at it. You can email me if you want to know the name of it--it's a very light lemon/Meyer honey tea bag and I find it very soothing.

amylou321 thanked sjerin
  • joann_fl
    5 years ago

I like that new Luzianne Sweet tea, its already sweetened in the bag. 0 calories!

amylou321 thanked joann_fl
  • sephia_wa
    5 years ago

I often travel to China for work. I've brought back several different teas. In China tea is revered. Ladies go to school and learn about teas, the history of them, how to process the tea leaves, etc. There are tea houses where tea is served.

amylou321 thanked sephia_wa
  • Feathers11
    5 years ago

I use plain black tea bags for brewing kombucha and buy a box of them from Aldi. The tea on its own is pretty decent--I'm not a tea connoisseur but once in a while like a mid-afternoon hot tea with a splash of almond milk.

I drink herbal teas in the evening, and Trader Joe's has a ginger turmeric that's on my current rotation.

amylou321 thanked Feathers11
  • Cherryfizz
    5 years ago

I started drinking tea in my baby bottle. Tea was the beverage of choice in my household growing up and even now. Growing up a pot was always on the boil with hot water ready for the next pot of tea, Red Rose Orange Pekoe then, now I drink unsweetened Red Rose Canadian Breakfast Black Tea with a drop or two of milk just to colour it or I drink it black. Not really a fan of herbal or flavoured teas but lately I have been drinking a mug of Twinnings Lemon Ginger Tea at night before bed, reminds me of a hot Canada Dry Gingerale with lemon. Don't drink any of the powdered iced tea mixes that come in a jar or tin, that tea makes me antsy and bothers my stomach. The only tea I will drink at a restaurant is Tim Horton's Steeped Tea, their coffee is horrible but their steeped tea is good but still don't like drinking tea out of a cardboard container. For me tea tastes best served in a bone china mug or tea cup.

amylou321 thanked Cherryfizz
  • Feathers11
    5 years ago

Cherryfizz, I adore your tea set.

amylou321 thanked Feathers11
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say that I never, ever put a tea bag in a mug. I hate that, and have trouble drinking it when someone does that for me. It has to be steeped in a teapot, always.

CherryFizz, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand Timmy's coffee. IF we ever had a coffee on the road, it was always McD's.

amylou321 thanked Jasdip
  • Cherryfizz
    5 years ago

Red Rose tea in the US is different than Red Rose tea sold in Canada, the US version being weaker. Also Canadian Red Rose tea has been found to be pesticide free compared to other teas sold here as per a Marketplace investigation. Feathers, thank you. I inherited the tea set from my Aunt, it comes with luncheon plates and a small platter. I think the tea pot was broken a long time ago. haha since I took that picture last year of the tea pots I used I have since broken the lid from my Pyrex tea pot and now use a saucer to keep the heat in and just a few weeks ago broke the fancier glass tea pot which came with a tea holder for loose tea. I was not happy.

amylou321 thanked Cherryfizz
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

I used to drink a lot of Constant Comment in the '70's. It was great. I just got some a few months ago and it doesn't taste nearly as good as the stuff from before. It tastes rather flat, not nearly as spicy orange as in the old days. I am disappointed by it.

The talk of Red Rose reminded me of the '70's as well when I bought it mainly to get the little ceramic animals in each box. :)

amylou321 thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • marylmi
    5 years ago

I love tea. I mainly drink organic green and white tea but like to try other kinds too. I have several tea pots, the smallest is a two cup but anymore I just put the bag in the cup. For company I would use a tea pot.

Edited to add... I don't like sugar in hot tea but I do like sweetened cold tea.

amylou321 thanked marylmi