SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

FINALLY some rain

At last we got rain, a full day of it, after more than a month and a half in which perhaps 1/4" fell. The farmers have been worried, as has everybody else, with the horrid year 2017 still fresh in our memories. Yesterday's precipitation at least watered the garden well, and there's a forecast of more to come, though I'll believe it when it happens.

The Teas and Chinas are flowering a month ahead of schedule on account of the atypically warm and sunny weather that's been ours since mid-February. What surprises me is how good the bloom quality is: the roses large, double, and shapely. 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' has been producing superb flowers, as good as any I've ever seen on her, and so has 'General Schablikine', which has finally matured enough to thrive in its meager conditions. I always thought roses needed water to bloom. Actually, I still believe it, just think that these large, mature roses, all of them planted at least a dozen years ago and never irrigated since their infancy, have developed splendid searching root systems that keep them supplied even in weather like we've had this year. It's been dry all fall and winter.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' has a Bourbon air to her? Those plump buds, that fruity scent, the larger rounder growth diverging from the sharp delicacy of the Teas. Perhaps a grandparent? Who knows.

Comments (12)