Delightful books about books ......
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
Related Discussions
WANTED: Books, books, and more books!
Comments (5)Hi Dusty, In addition to the other book I posted here, I also have Rock Gardens & Alpine Plants by David Joyce, 1985. It only cost $6.95 but it is a good book nonetheless. It takes you from the construction of a rock garden, to selection of plants, propagation of plants, to how to deal with pests and upkeep of the garden (winterizing, etc.) The reason I bought the book though was because of all the lovely pictures (many) of plants I can never hope to grow in Zone9. Even so, I have a few hens and chicks melting in my back yard at this moment. We not only have extreme heat but we also have extreme humidity! Incidently, I would like to thank you for posting the info about blocked email addresses on your member page. I have been trying to figure out what to do about it and have been searching all over info at the My Yahoo mail site. Now I know I need to change some options on my member page at Gardenweb. THANKS! Barb...See MoreDelightful book about flora and fauna of the Great Karoo
Comments (1)This reminds me of a book I just picked up: Socotra: A Natural History of the Islands and Their People. It covers a wide variety of subjects, and is very well researched. It makes me really want to visit these fantastic islands. My one complaint is that it didn't devote enough coverage to my two favorite Socotran species: Dorstenia gigas, and Dendrosicyos socotrana... These broad subjects books seem to be a good source of information about specific endemic succulents. I just wish they were a little easier to find!...See MoreA most delightful book
Comments (1)Bessie Rayner Belloc was the mother of Hilaire Belloc who wrote, amongst other things, "Cautionary Tales for Children" a scary way of explaining the correct way for a Victorian child to behave..or else. I have not read the book but I do know that at the time it was written women were not supposed to be writers. The book can be read on the internet and I suspect that it reads like a journal because journal keeping was 'allowed.'...See MoreBooks About Books
Comments (12)Ah, Helene Hanff! I can't say enough good things about 84 Charing Cross Road . Sorry to be a little off topic but yesterday I found Quiller-Couch's On the Art of Writing available to read online. "Q" inspired Hanff's 84 book. I bought Jackson's Anatomy of Bibliomania, The Fear of Books and The Reading of Books. I began Anatomy months upon months ago and am only to page 308. It seems every other line is a sentence of latin. Very eccentric. I have a fear of even cracking the other two. Cindy said: "Nicholas Basbanes has written several books about books and book collectors." I haven't read him but have seen him speak on Booktv and he seems very knowledegable and Every Book Its Reader looks good. I've read parts of Corrigan's Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading and enjoyed it thus far. Currently I'm admiring Old Books, Rare Friends: Two Literary Sleuths and Their Shared Passion by Leona Rostenberg and Madeleine Stern. These two ladies share their childhood in the first part of the book and then get into the details of book hunting. It started well and I expect it to end well. I have one book about books that I haven't started but looks tasty: The Literary Companion. It has tidbits and trivia about famous books and their authors. I know I'm judging by the cover but it's so cute! A textured khaki dustcover with a navy ribbon sewn in the middle on the binding. I do like books about other's obsessions with books....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

BOOKS11 Great Children’s Books About Home (and 2 Honorable Mentions)
Homes come in many different shapes and sizes, and these kids’ books highlight the tallest, the smallest, the oldest and the silliest
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSink Into 12 Kitchens That Are Serious About Their Books
See how these precious possessions are showcased in this popular room
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBook Tour: The Happy Home Project
New Book Offers a Practical Guide to Filling Your Home With Delight
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGE10 Reasons to Love Books in the Kitchen
It’s not just about cookbooks and digital recipes — some love to keep a mini library in the heart of the home
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 20 Coffee Table Books Beautiful Enough for Mom
Encourage a favorite hobby or ignite a new interest with a coffee table book that makes a thoughtful Mother's Day gift
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESGet More Mileage From Your Coffee Table Books — as Decorating Elements
Take a page from resourceful decorators by using your gorgeous books in design-savvy ways around the home
Full Story
HISTORIC HOMESDuring National Book Month, Tour American Writers’ Homes
Explore the houses that inspired famous tales and poems, and the places where authors worked
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 20 Coffee Table Books for Design Lovers
Set out these beautiful books or give them as gifts to spread the joy of entertaining, art and style
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full StorySponsored

vee_new