SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbym_gw

How much do you trim your Bourbons?

I have mostly tea roses, some hybrid teas and floribundas and a good number of Bourbons, as they do so well here. I have SDLM and her sport Kronprincess Viktoria which I love. In the past I haven't trimmed my Bourbons much, maybe clipping off crossed stems or taking out dead wood. I've noticed my wonderful Romaggi Plot Bourbon that had been so full of blooms in past years seems to be blooming less this spring. I decided to trim Kronprincess back a bit more this winter since she was overtaking a small tree planted next to her. March and early April is peak bloom season here in Tempe, AZ (Phoenix suburb) and I have noticed Kronprincess is FULL of buds, after I trimmed her. She's blooming more than SDLM and Romaggi Plot Bourbon both of which I didn't trim much.

It's too late to trim them now but I am planning to trim SDLM and Romaggi Plot Bourbon back much more next winter, since that has stimulated so many blooms on Kronprincess.

I'm not an avid trimmer; I don't trim my teas much and trim my hybrid teas and floribundas moderately.

I was wondering if others would share their experience trimming their bourbons.

Comments (4)