SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmy13b

Need advice for tile on shower niche

kmy13b
5 years ago

We're renovating a bathroom and having a 16" x 24" x 4" shower niche installed:

I'm using a 1.75" x 7" Porcelain Field Tile on the shower walls with white grout, this is the pattern it is being laid in: (this is a reference photo, not my bathroom)

and I want it to continue on to the niche. Inside the niche on the back we will be this 8" x 8" x 5/8" cement accent tile:

Our contractor is telling us that for around the niche either we can have the unfinished edge of the tiles which will show or we need to use a bullnose trim. I'm not the biggest fan of trim and I would like it to look as seamless as possible like this:

I'd love any advice on how to best achieve this look. I've read about Schluter jolly trim, quarter round, bullnose, mitered edge. I guess I'm not opposed to something like this if I have to use a trim:

What would you call this and would it be doable on my project?

The shower floor tile will be a black picket tile with black grout. We will be using a solid black stone for the top of the shower curb and continuing the wall tile for the parts of the shower curb you will see from the outside. Also what would you suggest for finishing the tile where it stops at the edge of the shower walls? I plan to use a shower door like this:

For the front vanity wall which butts up against the shower wall I plan to use this wallpaper:

on the upper half with shiplap on the lower half or vice versa and either the wallpaper or shiplap on the back wall where the barn door will be (it's an en suite). All of the fixtures in the bathroom are either brushed gold or matte black.

Comments (59)

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Please let us know the outcome and good luck.

kmy13b thanked cpartist
  • kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok so my mom heard back from him and this is what he had to say:

" Good morning. I got your message.any board are.water proof.now two ways to do water proof:

1-applying water proof on the grout or applying water proof mat on board before tile installation,in that case is not necessary remove durock that is water resistant!.let me know Wight way you want to go!"

Thoughts on this response?

• Related Discussions

building a shower niche - advice please

Q

Comments (27)
    We take more baths (about 10 to 1) than showers, and that's why it's so low. And budge it's not perfect b/c if you zoom in, you can see a couple of small places where the grout didn't quite fill the space between the pieces on the shelf....might be a little more trouble to clean. So even though I wish he'd have used bullnose to trim it, I DO like it. And as I read this forum, I realize than most are not perfect, and some are outright scary! Except Bill's of course. ; ) Susan ~
    ...See More

Any expert advice on glass tile niches?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks to you both. I appreciate your confidence in our ability to pull this off, Bill - even if it is directed at the saw blade:) Maybe I'll feel more confident once we fire up the old Felker but right now I'm pretty nervous. I know I've read this somewhere before, but could you please remind me which blade to buy for the Felker FTS-150? Should we use the same blade on the porcelain floor tile or use it exclusively on the glass tile?
    ...See More

Shower Niche - Install Help Needed

Q

Comments (8)
    1) is this a good order of installation? Yes 2) how much reveal is best for the counter/sill? It depends. Structurally, if the bottom front edge of the niche is dead flat...no bow in it...no wobbles in it...you can go with a smaller reveal. For example, if your wall waivered in and out 1/8" and you put a 1/4" overhang, the overhang would vary in and out across the front of the niche, and your eye would pick up on it. If you went with a 3/4" overhang, that 1/8" of wobble wouldn't be noticed. But something tells me your wall is dead flat. 8 ) Capillary action: If you think the niche will see a bit of water spray, you could cut a drip groove on the bottom of the shelf. It doesn't have to be significant, even a 1/8" deep groove will do. What the groove does is it stops water from running down the face of the shelf edge and then being drawn back to the shower wall below the niche via capillary action. Instead, the drip groove breaks the capillary action and water will simply drip right off the front lip of the shelf and on to the shower floor. It's not a requirement by any means, and if you go with a smaller overhang, there's no room to do it. I just thought I'd toss it out as a consideration. When I do overhangs for niche shelves, I'll usually make a roughly 1/2" to 3/4" overhang. Material thickness can be a player. If your shelf material is too long you can also cut return ears on the ends. The size of the shower can be a consideration too. You don't want to catch an elbow on an overhang. While the photo below shows a drip edge groove cut into the bottom of a stone door threshold, the idea is the same. Your groove, should you decide to cut one, does not have to be this deep. You don't have to carry it all the way to the edges either, you can stop it 1/2" to 1" from the ends of the shelf. Again, it's optional. If you go with a smaller overhang, don't worry about the groove. 3) would there be a problem if I had no reveal of the sill, or just a very tiny reveal (such as 1/8") No. As long as the bottom edge of the niche is flat/straight. 4) If I had more of a reveal what is reasonable? Is something like .5 or .75" a sensible amount or too much? It's sensible. If you have a thin shelf, say 1/2" thick, then you'd want a smaller reveal. If your shelf was made from 2" thick material, you could go larger. I do prefer the overhang to be less than the material is thick. ie, with a 3/4" thick shelf, then I prefer a 1/2", or maybe a 5/8" max overhang. And you can always go less. With 2" thick material, you could overhang 1" to 1-1/4". 5) Does my shower curb product sound like a good way to go with the niche shelf? Sure. I've used stone curb/thresholds/saddles at times for shelving. Aside: Travertine is pretty easy to edge detail with a grinder, even with regular grit sanding pads. Start at 60 grit to rough material away, then work through to 600 grit for a nice smooth surface.
    ...See More

How to tile a Shower niche using subway tile?

Q

Comments (6)
    This is my shower niche. They used two full subway tile to go around on both the inside right and left and split the bottom so there's a joint right down the center. The back is the small tiles from the shower floor and there's one glass shelf. The two shelves slant a hair down and it's on the opposite side of the shower head so it never gets all that wet. The subway tiles they used on the inside are billnose.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

My thoughts? He is not even a high school graduate and can’t read or understand the industry standard technical manuals that govern his trade. https://www.tcnatile.com/products-and-services/publications/218-english-publications/188-handbook.html He does not understand waterproofing. He doesn’t even understand the proper sequencing of his trade. He should be thrown off of the job site.

Again, is he a Licensed Contractor in the State of Florida? With that response, I’m sure that he is not. FL has extensive education requirements and testing to obtain that license. If he is not licensed, he can not enforce a contract. There is no standing. Only someone legally licensed can enter into a home improvement and remodeling contract. He has misrepresented himself and his skills.

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl11.asp

http://sunshinestatenews.com/story/florida-supreme-court-contractors-unlicensed-no-relief-contract-violations

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-rebresources29jan29-story.html 

kmy13b thanked User
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

"Thoughts on this response?"

Complete and utter B******T............................................

kmy13b thanked millworkman
  • Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    If he was giving you the option of waterproofing before tile, why didn’t he DO it!? Why is he only offering it after you asked? So much wrong here...
    kmy13b thanked Bri Bosh
  • User
    5 years ago

His nonsense reply only reinforces his nonsense work. Total incompetent.

kmy13b thanked User
  • acm
    5 years ago

just for the record, the first niche photo that you posted made a clean edge using bullnose tile. bullnose isn't a trim, it's a variant of the field tile that has a sloped edge so that the underlying ceramic isn't exposed. it's the most common solution to outside edges and niches. however, a lot of fancy modern tile doesn't come in regular squares and bullnoses, so then you need different solutions. raw edges can look ok with porcelain tile, where the color goes all the way through, or you could use a white schlyuter (sp!) edging, which basically just forms the corner (and extends under the tile on both adjacent sides), and is otherwise mostly invisible/inoffensive. obviously you have larger issues with workmanship here, but I wanted to put in this info for when you get back to design questions.

kmy13b thanked acm
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    5 years ago

Sorry your family is dealing with this stress while renovating or building. Possibly there is a language barrier to some extent. Questioning his formal education as someone did above is not helpful and unnecessary. Now, clearly he is not familiar with the industry standards. It is difficult to understand what method he is suggesting for waterproofing the walls from his comment. Do be aware that there are multiple options for waterproofing the walls, and most importantly the corners, curb, niche (and seat if applicable). As for the grout, my guess is he is suggesting that sealing the grout is an option for waterproofing. It is not. The greatest concern regarding waterproofing is his plan for the pan membrane. I would be asking about this. The shower pan membrane should wrap up the walls a minimum of 3" above shower curb. This is one reason the pan build occurs before the wall tile is installed. It is also critical that his wall board joints, including corners are treated and taped with approved products. Based on the photos this did not happen. Meet with him onsite and ask him about these issues. You mentioned that he was recommended by friends. Did he do showers for them? Wet areas do require a higher level of expertise. Good luck with you project and hopes this helps.

kmy13b thanked Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
  • kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dragonfly you are right there is definitely a language barrier.

*Update*

I talked to my mom again after she spoke with him today. He sent her a picture of this and said it's "good for water proof on top of durock"

She also said he said he is going to remove the tiles and mud the walls.

Does any of that sound correct? At this point I don't trust him but obviously it's not up to me and all I can do is share this info with them.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Listen to Dragonfly.

It should be up to you since you're the one garnering the info for your parents.

Durock CAN be used w/o a waterproofing membrane. (but the correct fasteners need to be used and the seams need to be taped with a specific cement board, alkali resistant tape). Do you know if there is a vapor barrier BEHIND the cement board (tar paper, plastic??) If yes, then no Redgard, or you'll end up w/a mold sandwich. It's one or the other, not both.

Durock membrane (same as the REdgard stuff)

see how this shower floor is already done before tiling?

and since I'm sure your tile guy doesn't know this, take your cement tiles and seal them. now. before he installs. use a penetrating sealer. (511 or Aquamix are fine) follow directions. only seal the tops. prob 2-3 times. tell him to dunk in water before he sets the tile in the mortar.

kmy13b thanked Beth H. :
  • jslazart
    5 years ago

Up above, you asked "Could this gray stuff sticking out (see picture below) be the waterproofing or is it something that would go on top of that Durock?" That looks like a pan liner to me. My understanding (and the John Bridge forums are a much better resource than I am) is that a properly attached pan liner (presloped and run up the walls a foot or so) is compatible with using redgard on the durock walls.

• AJCN
    5 years ago

I think you are being very proactive and mature. It's hard to post on this forum and receive bad news that you have to deal with. I've been there. Try not to get overwhelmed or get into arguments with your parents. You guys are a team and you guys are the homeowners and customers, so stick together and be on the same page. There is probably a bit of a storm and some stress about to hit if you guys decide to fire the contractor, some arguments and such. But you are on the right side of things and it will work out in the end. But it won't work out if you stay with this contractor in my opinon, because he is incompetent and it's not your job to train him.

You can download the manufacture's instructions for any materials he is using or planning to use and read them for yourself. You can also pay about $40 and buy a downloadable version of the TCNA tile manual. If you do that, you need to read the intro section and the shower chapters. You can skip all the other chapters such as swimming pools and other things. Reading this manual was very helpful to me when I realized something was wrong, but I wasn't sure what it was.

But even if you do read everything published about tile and waterproofing, it sounds like this person is really incompetent and needs to go. If that's the case, maybe someone on this forum can recommend a real pro in your area to take over this project. That worked for me when I had a similar problem 18 months ago. I asked about the waterproofing, and they quit saying I was too hard to please (because I wanted waterproofing). A pro on this forum referred me to a real pro in my area who took over the project and did everything perfectly.

I'm sorry you are going through this. A long time from now, when you are building or remodeling something in your own home, you will already be more informed about this stuff than the average homeowner. Maybe that's the silver lining of going through this now.

If your parents have questions or need some support about the contract side of things, firing them, not paying anymore and those kinds of things, they can certainly post here, or you could post for them.

Hang in there.

kmy13b thanked AJCN
  • PRO
    5 years ago

None of the "advice" here will substitute for on-site consult by a qualified tile installer. Your are getting some truths, some half truths and some bad advice. You shouldn't be relying on an on-line advice forum at this point. You learned there are issues and now's the time to seek a professional consult. You should not be the one that has to research standards, manufacturer instructions, and then instruct your installer. You should of course not hesitate to educate yourself, but you can't learn what a professional knows from training, and many years of experience. There is more than one approved method for some aspects of a shower build. You want to rely on an expert locally. Finding a qualified installer can be challenging in certain areas of the country, because, like FL, there is an abundance of unqualified labor. The complaint in our industry is that most of the unqualified labor will undercut the qualified professionals with low pricing, and then the consumer often gets poor results, which is bad for everyone. Remember that, as I said previously, there are different skill and experience requirements for various types of tile jobs. Check out NTCA members to start. https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.tile-assn.com/resource/resmgr/pdf_files/Residential_Tile_Installer.pdf and:

https://www.tile-assn.com/search/custom.asp?id=2759 That being said, I know that there are some good installers that are not NTCA members but you should use the same guidelines to vet their experience. Hope that helps.

• kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

*Update*

I want to thank you all again for your help and input. Unfortunately my parents are continuing to let him do the bathroom (*puts hands up*) despite all this info I've shared with them. I guess all I can do is sit back and watch it unfold and say I told you so if something goes majorly wrong. I'll keep y'all updated on the progress.

• PRO
    5 years ago

He's "on alert" now, and might just possibly seek guidance from others and approach this differently. It happens with the younger setters. Sometimes they realize they are over their head and ask for help. Wishing you and your parents success.

• AJCN
    5 years ago

You could print out manufactures' instructions and pages from the TCNA and just hand them to him. If there is a language barrier, then maybe print them in his language, if available.

Take lots of pictures every day, from all angles from ceiling to floor, and take pictures of all the materials and buckets of stuff that the contractor leaves sitting around. So if there is a problem in the future, your parents will have an easier time identifying the source of the leak and make the repair needs easier to identify.

kmy13b thanked AJCN
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

So if there is a problem in the future, your parents will have an easier time identifying the source of the leak and make the repair needs easier to identify.

Do you mean if or WHEN?

You did the best you could in trying to help them. Did you ask them why they want to continue with him when he is clearly not waterproofing the shower?

Maybe show them this thread?

• kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cpartist they said they he's doing a lot of other work around the house (already painted outside, pressured cleaned) repaired the ceilings (parts had to be torn out to fix the ac; don't worry they had a legit AC guy), floated the floor in the main living areas because it wasn't level, now he has to do drywall on the walls, paint the interior, install the floor tile that will be everywhere expect bathrooms and laundry room. Basically they don't want him to quit the whole job, idk how likely that is though seeing as he said this is his only job right now. My mom told him multiple times if he doesn't feel confident doing the bathrooms they can get someone else but apparently he keeps telling her he can do it (to which I told her of course he is he doesn't wanna lose the money). The things I listed above that he's done he seemed competent and there hasn't been any issues but like everyone's saying there's a lot of huge red flags with this bathroom situation. Like I mentioned earlier the 3rd bathroom that's being converted to a full is going to be done by the same people doing the kitchen (a reputable local kitchen and bathroom remodeling firm) so I will be very interested to compare how the process goes for that bathroom compared to this one.
  • catlady999
    5 years ago

One warning sign that stood out in your first pictures was the lack of taping and seaming between the durock sheets. Please note the difference compared to the pictures posted by Beth H. Why else do you think that the durock has those depressions along the edges? The very fact that he thought it was okay to leave them bare is enough to throw doubt on his skills.

Here is a video that stresses the use of proper fasteners and shows seaming on durock and other substrates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaCFA5reK9E

So, your parents found this jack-of-all-trades handyman who is saving them a bunch of money and taking care of a lot of jobs that DIYers can often handle. It's good to have someone like that available for various tasks. Unfortunately, the damage he will cause in this shower and what it will cost to repair will be more than what they are saving.

kmy13b thanked catlady999
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Maybe call the city anonymously and see if the handiman has pulled the required permits for the bath redo. If not, the city will probably come out, inspect and stop the job because it is not properly done

I would also be leery of him putting down floor tile in the rest of the house since that too requires extra skill

kmy13b thanked cpartist
  • kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I know for a fact he's not pulling permits apparently my parents don't think it's necessary (again I obviously disagree).

Here's a new picture. I'm just gonna take a
    wild guess that this isn't correct either.

And yes I'm very worried about the floor tile too especially since it's extra long/wide almost $7 a Sq ft from Porcelanosa. They said you need to use a special thing to install it (I forget what it's called) but my mom asked him about that and he said he knows how to do it (which again who knows if he actually does).
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Did he install the shower pan first? If not, this is still completely wrong. And one coat is not enough! And I still don't see that he used tape for the seams.

Like I said, if he didn't pull permits, call the city. Even if your parents don't intend to sell, someday you may need to and that could be an issue.

• catlady999
    5 years ago

Classic renovation mistake! Spending a lot on materials then cheaping out on the installation. Seams are now badly and unevenly mudded. What is on the back sides of the shower? This is where moisture and mold is most likely to show up.

New danger: who picked out and installed the shower light? If not properly done to code, you could be electrocuted during a shower.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, in some parts of the US, concern about future buyers looking for permits is not needed. Where I live, we did not pull any permits to redo a bath and the city is not looking to find people doing things without permits. No one would even consider whether permits were pulled on previous work done in the house. It is just our customs. Can't say why, it just IS. So, your parents may get away with having slipshod work done if it does not show obvious signs of leaking before they sell.

kmy13b thanked Nancy in Mich
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

whoa,,,those walls w/the seaming! How does he plan on laying out those small tiles so they're all flat and level? the glopped on mortar on the seams should have been smoothed over so there's no 'speed bump'. pay attention when he starts tiling. I guarantee he's going to end up w/lippage on those tiles. with overhead lighting you'll see shadows from where they don't sit flush w/the wall.

kmy13b thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Uhrich Design
    5 years ago

Use a Schluter strip for the tile application. It is designed for just this purpose of not having a matching trim tile. Follow the green arrow in the photo below. The tile selected for my client did not have a trim, we used a matte white (they come in many colors and finishes) and it give a very clean edge.

Best of luck with your installation, and most important, ENJOY that shower when its complete.

PS, please overlook the crooked shower door, it slipped a couple hours after installation, this photo was a snapshot taken to show the contractor. It has now been adjusted and is in fantastic working order.

kmy13b thanked Uhrich Design
  • Tile Corrector
    5 years ago

"see how this shower floor is already done before tiling?"

Done WRONG at that.

DO NOT use this mess of a failure in progress as an example of correct shower building its all wrong too..

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

following .... REALLY, gosh no words....

• kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Latest update on this hot mess of a shower
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

I feel awful for your parents. People don't know what they don't know. The mess this is would seriously make me question everything else he is doing in their house.

kmy13b thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

what about the curb??? besides being all wrong the way it was built, the least he could have done was tape the seams and waterproof it. lord knows he can't make it any worse by doing that. If he tiles that curb the way it is, your parents will have a disaster down the road.

is the floor of the shower even sloped? Put a level on it. ditto the curb. it will need to be sloped towards the shower for water to drain (see pic for what happens when water doesn't drain)

this entire thing is so bad. (love how he painted the red around the tile in place,,,smh) I'm sorry for you. Your parents sound like hardheads for not listening to your advice. out of curiosity, what is this guy charging them to do this shower?

kmy13b thanked Beth H. :
  • kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, good idea about the level, I will definitely do. My mom may be coming around she mentioned today that maybe they should just get permits and someone licensed to do it so *fingers crossed* we'll see if they actually do it. That picture with the mold...yikes...I definitely do not want that to happen. If they end up letting him complete this shower how soon do you think I would see mold and or leaks?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

can't predict that. it won't happen overnight, but it will happen soon enough. honestly? it's a complete tear out. did he just Redgard the cement slab floor in the shower? nothing else is down there? Who IS this guy doing the tiling? is he charging them thousands?

• kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To my knowledge there's nothing else down there. My stepdad claims the guy did put in the shower pan (but my stepdad is no construction expert) so idk if there actually is one. We didn't order a shower pan or anything so if there is something there it's something the guy did himself. If you look at my second post there's a picture of the shower floor. I believe nothing else was added to that besides the redguard. Not sure if you can tell from that picture what the shower floor consists of if anything. The shower drain is already installed so I would assume whatever he did as far as building the shower floor is all that he's doing for it.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

He just put redguard on the floor without putting in the proper shower pan first. And how is it he didn't even take out the tile he had finished? And still not taping the seams?

My stepdad claims the guy did put in the shower pan (but my stepdad is no construction expert)

No there is not.

I'm sorry, but it's a complete redo.

kmy13b thanked cpartist
  • User
    5 years ago

It's about to be a complete demo and redo too!

kmy13b thanked User
  • kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

cpartist I couldn't believe it when I saw he had put the redguard on without taking off the other tiles first. Talk about a literal red flag!

• PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

He or she is over there head here. At least they appear to listen to reason which is on your side. Shower pans are one of the biggest sources of failure and you should go to H Depot send $150 and get yourself a prefabbed white shower pan. He can cut out the lower boards and install.

Doin this at least will assure no pan issues which is where all your water is. like it or not a lot of shower walls are done exactly like this everyday. Probably on slab and an exterior wall which would help.

Buy the shower pan and be done. The walls are waterproofed. At least you will be mostly water tight. Lots wrong but at least get the basics right. Honestly I see this and hear your parents just not caring and why bother? Why even redo it if its being done in this manner? What was achieved?

That shower will never be finished and will never look right they don't have the forethought to plan ahead which is needed. Shower doors? Valve rough in? etc etc etc IT WILL NEVER BE FINISHED! SORRY!

kmy13b thanked GannonCo
  • Snaggy
    5 years ago

With the amount of trouble I see people having with the bottom of showers ...why not use a shower try so simple !

kmy13b thanked Snaggy
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

The future of your project has but one outcome.

kmy13b thanked User
  • catlady999
    5 years ago

Shower light! For your own safety, I'm going to ask again. Who installed the shower light and was it approved for wet locations? Electrocution is no joke!

• catlady999
    5 years ago

Looking at original pictures, notice that the cement board ends before the curb when it should extend over the curb width or even past. This is an easy to see thing to point out to your mom.

• kmy13b
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Catlady999 the light over the shower was installed by a licensed electrician who was doing a bunch of other work in the house but thank you for bringing that up!

*Update* good news: my mom said she's going to tell the guy to stop working in the bathroom area and just focus on getting the other things (painting, drywall) so hopefully this means we'll be getting a real professional who knows what they're doing!
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Oh so glad to hear. Kmy please keep us updated.

• dddd jjjj
    4 years ago

Any updates this summer?

• kmy13b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey everyone, sorry its taken so long for me to update. We ended up using someone who my parents had used in the past but completely slipped their mind. He is awesome and takes great pride in his work. Here are some photos of the completed bathroom. Thank you all for all of your advice, if it weren't for you guys they would have most likely continued on using the first guy and who knows where we would be now.

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

Looks beautiful! I love the floor tile and the stars!!

• cpartist
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm assuming the new guy rebuilt the shower and waterproofed correctly?

I will say that is one gorgeous looking bathroom and I'm glad to know they listened to you.

And thank you so much for the update. I know I'm thrilled when in the long run things work out for the best and we get to see the results.

• HU-527663426
    4 years ago

I’m so glad it worked out. You made beautiful choices for all the materials and finishes. You’ve probably learned more about waterproofing and how to handle a bad contractor than most people ever will, and at an age decades before I learned that stuff. Congrats!