SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hp213119

Glass kitchen cabinets or not?

Heather
5 years ago

We are getting ready for a kitchen remodel & I just can’t decide if I love the glass or not! I love the end cabinet with glass, but does it need to have glass somewhere else in the kitchen to “flow” right?? Or should I just change it to be faces with no glass?

My worry is, my plates and cups will go close to the dishwasher and I don’t want to put random pretty items in here and them not be functional, but I also dont want it to be too stark either since we are going white.... any ideas? Just leave it as is, elimante the glass all together, or possibly move the glass elsewhere (maybe either side of window? ) OR is it OK to have just the ending cabinet just glass?

thanks in advance!

Comments (32)

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I like glass where I keep my glassware and dishes. They are the nicest thing to look at but also anyone can find them without asking. It would normally be above the dishwasher. having a glassed cabinet for display only seems a wast of storage space. I don't think it's a great idea next to the stove because that's where spices and cooking stuff gets stored... so it's more messy.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think it's fine to have 'one'.

another poster on here had her inside of the cabs done in a factory painted teal shade.

can't find the recent picture, but it looks like this, midway thru the reno.

so, if you had all white pottery, the white would pop against any coordinating color. you could even do black.

maybe some seeded glass, or do something like these smaller display boxes atop your doors

• Aglitter
    5 years ago

Your layout shows 3 cabinets with glass fronts, so I'm assuming you've narrowed your options down to just the long cabinet on the end of the sink run. Looks beautiful to me. That cabinet is different from the others, so I think it's a great place to put glass. If you're worried about the orderliness of what's inside, you could consider a frosted glass. Interior cabinet lighting is pretty with glass cabinets if you haven't considered that.

• Brown Dog
    5 years ago

Just having the one glass cabinet at the end looks beautiful! Good thing you nixed the two by the stove. They would have looked great but they're not practical. If the glass cabinet at the end of the counter is not near your dishwasher, could you use it for less used dishes? Like serving bowls, cake stands, wine glasses etc. Also consider painting inside of cabinet a colour to give it a bit of zazz. Will be a beautiful kitchen when done whichever way you go! Good luck!

Heather thanked Brown Dog
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO the one at end is nice but not sitting on the counter.I find those feel claustrophbic when working at the prep space. I also would go with a simple stainless hood and for sure no glass cabinets near a stove.I am not seeing much storage for pots near the stove , was this actually a design done by a KD or a cabinet sales person?

• okibujp
    5 years ago

Just doing the end one is really nice. I wouldn't do any near the stove.

• wishiwereintheup
    5 years ago

IMO, you should decide first how you would use the cabinet and what you find acceptable for what can be seen behind the glass. Do you need as much space for storage as possible or will there be more than enough space to use the glass-doored cabinet as a show piece? If you opt to favor storage, are you OK with that being visible?

Think of a china hutch which usually always has glass doors. When I think back, grandmother, my mom and I have always favored max storage, so the china hutch ends up looking like the first picture below - neat, clean but not necessarily symmetrical and no single items highlighted. Would that drive you crazy? Or would you prefer (and have the storage space elsewhere) to arrange items as in the second picture? Symmetrical placement, single items highlighted? How you answer these questions will determine if you will be happy with what can be seen in your kitchen cabinet with glass doors.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

Glass cabinets near a range, are a PAIN. Having a nice vent atop the range, that is WIDER, than the rangetop is a great idea. Consider placing a wider range hood in that area. ... There is nothing on the edge of a cooktop that will not require alot more upkeep and cleaning maintenance, no matter which direction you look...

.. Use as much glass in your kitchen as your hobby of cleaning the kitchen permits. :)

The cabinet on the far end away from the stove is nice, but for function, consider raising them to even with the overcounter cabinets adjoining space to the sink. If you have a space, a separate piece of furniture is nicer and you need the kitchen space shown here as much as possible to be usable, especially if you don't have a large pantry/closet. If you eliminate the 2 small drawers, they are really too shallow, and consider using that would- now- be- clear, counter for your tea/coffee/toaster oven/or fruit bowl placement. It would probably decrease the cost of your kitchen cabinets, and give you more counter space to the right of your sink, which you will probably need. The 2 small drawers, are just enough counter space to put something on that will have to be moved before you open them.

You might if possible, move your island further out away from that sink run of cabinets and perhaps to even with the outer refrigerator at least, for the outer "wall" of your kitchen which is what that island represents. It has no sink and no stove. You won't like it serving as a mountain that limits your footspace in your kitchen to a footpath... Someday a wheelchair or a walker may be in that narrow area and it will be a big problem to maneuver out of the floorspace if it is accurately portrayed here. Not to mention replacing the dishwasher, or working on the plumbing under the sink. Give yourself some floor space in your kitchen.

If you stick with painting or ordering cabinets that are white, you might consider finding a pretty gray/taupe paint finish for the exterior long and short walls of your island , if not the entire island on all 4 sides? Or any other hue that is in the area around your kitchen. It would help warm up the space some also and if you do place counter height stools for eating there, you might be glad it is not white that is meeting the toes of your boots and shoes.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

In my vacation home, the kitchen is quite small, and I have glass cabinets on either side of the stove. They give a more airy feeling than closed cabinets. They really don't get that much dirtier than any other cabinet in the kitchen unless you are a very exuberant cook, doing a lot of deep frying/sauteeing. Also they contain all my glasses, mugs, and plates. They are utilitarian, and I don't worry about how they are arranged. A kitchen, after all, is a work space.

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all! My intent was to use the end cabinet as a area for pretty bowls or cupcake stands as I bake frequently. I’m not too worried about the claustrophobic feel as our island is 9 feet by 5 feet and plenty enough space to prep. I was worried about it Possibly looking misplaced when it was the only one potentially with a glass face. I’d prefer the cabinets that held dishes and cups to be glass if any and doesn’t make too much sense to put those around the stove for aestetic purposes. There are several drawers around the stove for storage. There is plenty of space for all things as I’ve already mapped out where I’ll be putting everything back!

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wanted a different cabinet to end the kitchen as the slider is right after the photo ends. I like the look of the counter top cabinet as I would love a charging station in one drawer and the other for mail, so it was function as well. thought adding glass to that one would help break up so many solid cabinets and I could add puck lighting and show some pretty plates & such. There are several angles of the kitchen where you can’t see but lots of storage! Island is built in trash and microwave, and all around are cabinets for more stuff. Our cabinets go up the wall 42” giving them height with our rsther tall ceilings! I personally do not like the look of stainless steel hood vents, and went for something more to match my cabinets!

• Aglitter
    5 years ago

@Heather that was my thought also, that the counter-level wall cabinet was a nice ending to the run, and I've considered doing something similar. What scared me off was several reports of people who had water damage with the cabinet extending to the counter, and my sink would be slightly closer than yours. Just be sure you can always avoid any spillage into that area, as a precaution.

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    We will have just one glass upper door set for our wine glasses and liquor.
  • waverly6
    5 years ago

To answer your specific question, no, I don't think it looks odd to just do one cabinet with glass. I have only one cabinet which has a stained glass (inset with crystals) front And it doesn't look strange. I like your idea of putting pretty pieces in there. and I love the long cabinets you have at the end. I have that in another spot and those "shallow" drawers (which actually aren't that shallow) are extremely useful . I use them to store my salad servers, cake lifters, decorative serving ware. You obviously have planned your storage to suit your needs. As you said your main prep are is your large island and you still have a long run of prep area next to your sink. I think you are combining your storage and decorative needs very well and I love display space in a kitchen. I love functional are and seeing my beautiful pieces in a work space

Heather thanked waverly6
  • bbtrix
    5 years ago

Glass adds such an airiness and makes it so easy to spot what you’re looking for. Mine are totally practical with everything where I need it. I’ve had glass for 5 years and I’m an avid cook. It does not collect grease if you have a halfway decent hood. I really can’t understand how anyone can find wood easier to clean than glass. In fact, mine are extremely easy to clean.

I keep all my cooking oils, salt & pepper grinder, garlic, shallots, small bowls I use every day in one right next to the hood. Various serving items on the other side. Everything is there because they are used, not placed for show but they look nice.

Go with what you think will make you happy while you cook!

• Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago
    Nice design, I don’t see that glass is any more or less cleaning so if you like glass next to stove go for it. Personally I think cleaning of glass is easy. If you think to much glass then just stay with the one on the end for interest. All the best as the design is very nice
    Heather thanked Toni Hamlett
  • PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Glass is nice to have and shows well. However, I advise my clients that anything you put in it needs to be kept tidy. Envision what you will put in each glass cabinet and will it be kept tidy or even look tidy. In small kitchens this can be a hard thing to accomplish. I like the idea of having a dedicated cabinet for glass. The end of your run to the right looks fine to me.

Here's one I did, possibly close in size to yours. It has the end of run cabinet in glass.

• wilson853
    5 years ago

I have 15" deep glass cabinets on either side of my hood. Those extra couple of inches allow me to store larger serving pieces (platters, serving bowls) along with wine glasses and some cookbooks. If your hood is doing its job, you shouldn't have any trouble keeping the glass clean. I like glass cabinets on walls that do not have windows, as your eye travels to the rear of the cabinet and can make the room seem larger.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

I've heard from many clients who put glass doors flanking the range that they were always cleaning the glass. I don't like to clean any more than I have to, so I'd go with solid doors if it were my kitchen.

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

I know from personal experience that glass does not attract grease more than a solid door and is easier to clean. Perhaps Carolina's clients did not have adequate ventilation or don't mind grease laden solid doors.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

It's possible that bbtrix is right. Unfortunately, we have very little control over what hoods clients choose and budget always plays a part in their decision-making. So let me add, don't skimp on the exhaust mechanism.

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

All your insight is extremely helpful! Before your make the investment of a kitchen gut and remodel (Which isn’t cheap!) you don’t want to changeit down the line from something you do not love!! I am no designer, but I have an idea of what I want, it’s putting those ideas to practical use that is the hardest! thank you again for everyone who has taken time to comement and share their thoughts to my kitchen It’s been more helpful then you know!

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

Heather, one more thing: Whatever you decide, if you don't like it, go back to your cabinet supplier and order new doors, swap out the glass for solid or vice versa. It will cost money, but you'll be happy.

• wilson853
    5 years ago

You could add some color for a bit of interest. This wallpaper is my favorite.

Heather thanked wilson853
  • Cyndy
    5 years ago

Heather I love your design with the glass cabinet going to the counter on the end. I am biased, because I have the same happening in our new build. I wanted a way to avoid the end of the counter becoming a 'dumping ground' of sorts. We too have a larger than average island and I think that gives you the option of using up some counter space with a hutch style cabinet. I don't think you need to have more than one set of glass doors. lovely design.

Heather thanked Cyndy
  • waverly6
    5 years ago

bbtrix. I love your wood countertop. What wood is it?

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Thanks! Black Walnut plank.

• lauriead
    5 years ago

Heather, My kitchen is very similar to your plan, with the cabinet on the end sitting on the counter. I love my glass doors! Here is a link, not sure how to take the picture and post it here.

https://www.houzz.com/projects/815051/private-island-rebuild

Laurie

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Laurie I love your kitchen! Very very similar layout! I haven’t seen many kitchen end like ours does with the countertop cabinet but it’s just such a nice way to end the kitchen. I plan to have it as my coffee nook & the drawers for the hundred of school papers my kids bring home & a charging station for tablets and phones, that’s out of site! Thank you everyone for those beautiful pictures, helps me really vision my space better!

• tatts
    5 years ago

All my uppers are glass, but patterned, so you just see shapes and colors. I like it that way. Everything becomes abstracted.

But I hate cabinets that come down to the counter. You lose counter space (including the space in front, which has to be kept clear), and you gain very little storage. You lose too much and gain too little.

• lauriead
    5 years ago

Thanks Heather! A couple things I might suggest. Put the glass in the doors where you plan to store things you like to see. In my case it was my fiestaware and home canning. I chose ribbed glass to "blur" things inside, as tatts suggested. Also, consider a second sink in the island across from the stove if it's possible and you can afford it. I had to be talked into it and I am forever thankful to gardenweb for that. The food goes from the fridge to the end of the island sink and then across the aisle to be cooked. Everything left behind gets pushed into the sink to be composted.

Do whatever makes you happy!