SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tgagrippa

Are my boxwoods a lost cause?

tgagrippa
5 years ago

Last fall, I planted a series of small boxwoods to create a hedge along the foundation of my house. They were (are) small -- maybe 18 inches tall in the pot. Thus, they weren't very expensive. The variety is "Winter Gem."

As luck would have it, we suffered one of the worst winters in years here in southern Wisconsin (Zone 5A). There were a few nights here at -20 to -25 degrees Fahrenheit and one where we hit at least -28. In addition, these boxwoods are planted on the south side of my house, which may have enhanced the winter burn I now have. On the bright side, there was decent snow cover, though the tops of the boxwoods still showed above the snow.

They all look the same, so I took a picture of one of them to give you an idea of what they look like, along with a close-up to give you a sense of what the upper foliage looks like close up. My question: Should I consider these a lost cause and start over? Or, assuming they aren't actually dead, is there a chance they'll make it despite the winter burn? Will the yellowed foliage gradually revert to green or should I prune it? What would you do?

Pete

Comments (11)