SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_267428491

Not sure how to continue growing my Fiddle Leaf Fig, seeking advice

Yuna Kim
5 years ago

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post! I found this forum to be super helpful in diagnosing myriad problems and questions I've had with my tree and thought why not ask the stellar community here for some advice.

I got my FLF last August and through the end of summer it didn't grow any new leaves at all, probably because it was adjusting to its new home and the repotting I did. Around December it started growing some giant

new leaves and now in March it has grown a good deal which is exciting to see but causes some worry for the upcoming warmer and longer light months.

My plant is currently a little under 8 feet tall and my ceilings are 10 feet which doesn't give me a ton of space to allow vertical growth. There is currently one little branch coming off of one of the 3 connected stems and I was imagining I could encourage more branching a bit further up to mitigate some of the strictly vertical growth. I'm not sure how to ensure keeping the tree balanced and keeping the three stems from opening up wider than I have space for. Currently I have the stems pulled towards each other with some twine which may or may not be the best solution. Initially this didn't seem like a problem but as the branches grew more leaves the weight was pulling them apart. I really want to make sure the tree can grow in a healthy manner, without hitting the ceiling, and without splaying too far open. Any suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks,

Yuna

Comments (9)