SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Plaster walls in old bungalow—can large holes be patched?

girl_wonder
5 years ago

I own a 1940 bungalow with old lathe and plaster walls. They have some cracks, but I think it adds character. In a previous remodel (in the 70s?) someone took down the wall between the living room and original kitchen to create one long room, my current living room and dining room. There’s a beam across the ceiling that my architect/contractor said we can move into the attic (because I’m converting the adjoining carport into the garage, it changes the pitch of the roof enough to allow the beam to move into the attic.)

Dilemma: how to handle the walls/ceiling? My contract said he needs to cut out a chunk of the ceiling to get access to the beam. When his drywall guy was out, he thought all that cutting into the ceiling would cause the existing cracks to get wider. He can patch but the larger-longer cracks would come back. My contractor also wants to improve the way the previous people handled the seam in the wall—it bows out a little and there is a crack. He would cut out that area, patch and skim coat. On the exterror wall, things are moving to make way for the garage—I’m relocating the tall window to that same wall but in the front of the room; the fireplace is being removed (1970s add-on and sub-par construction). Because the window is being relocated, we will add a 2x4 skylight in the back, dining room part of the room.

My contractor thinks patching all these large holes will be too $$$, the result will not be great, and the cracks will return. Solutions:

a) drywall guy suggested applying 1/4” drywall to the two walls and ceiling, and then skim coating etc (this seems so kludgey, feels like a non-starter, plus my tiny room would be 1/2” narrower. I need every millimeter! ;)

b) contractor said we could demo the walls completely and drywall from there. It would allow the electricians etc to have easy access. (We plan to include some canned lighting)

Here are some pics:

Beam that would be moved into attic and some current cracks:

How the previous owners patched the plaster when they removed the wall between the LR and original kitchen. It bulges slightly and has a large crack:

Another look at the ceiling. The beam in back is structural and will be moved into attic. The beam in front is believed to decorative, to balance the look of the room. The tall narrow window will be move to the other side of the existing fireplace. Fireplace will be demo-ed. (pardon the general decorating clutter. I pushed the sofa in front of the fireplace to see if I like the flow of the room w/o the fireplace).

Thoughts? I love having an older home and to me, dealing with plaster is just part of the deal. I don’t mind the cracks, it adds character. But I don’t want to cheap out or avoid addressing a real problem. (actually, I’m not sure having all these holes plastered will be cheaper).

FWIW, I’ve already have large holes plastered to good effect (IMO):

1) when I removed the original wall heater (20 years ago)

2) when I removed a door into the guest room closet (space had been repurposed) Done 10 years ago.

etc

Thone were done by my house painter. They still seem good to me; no problems with seems or cracks.

I’ve asked my contractor to bring over a plaster pro. He said, in his judgement, that it’s not going to be a good result and/or may cost more. FWIW, my architect isn’t a fan of either of the two proposed solutions above. He thinks a plaster guy should be able to fix this right.

Thanks for reading this long post! Thoughts?

Comments (26)