SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betsyalley1

Nightmare underneath wallpaper...what exactly are these layers....?

SunshineX
5 years ago

We removed wallpaper from the kitchen walls of our midcentury home's kitchen and the removal of the glue was a pain, but was pretty straightforward, on 2 of the 3 walls. After I removed the glue there was a nice smooth plaster wall, painted a lemon yellow. Just as background, the wallpaper had been done by owner #2 (1990s til last year); we are owner #3. It seems Owner #1 also had some wallpaper because I found tiny scraps of it (i.e. around outlets). Our plan is to repaint using oil-based primer, etc.

As I've worked on the 3rd wall, though, it's gotten really difficult to get the walls cleaned up. Here are the issues: (Hope these pictures help explain.)

(1) Instead of the sunny yellow color underneath the glue, there is a coating of a dingy brownish color underneath the main glue coat. It was difficult to clean off and seemed more bonded to the wall surface. I've had to be more aggressive trying to get this off, and it's been so slow. (I've used DIF, and earlier used TSP-substitute--going over things multiple times.) I’m wondering if it needs to be removed.

The last stretch of the wall has all sorts of things going on and I can't tell how aggressively to scrape off the wall …

(2) There are some places where there is a thin layer of white plaster on top of the more solid yellow plaster wall. In scraping off the glue, this plaster comes off and there is the yellow plaster wall underneath. (3) In other places, when taking off the glue, it takes off a layer of the softer white plaster but there is still more white plaster underneath.

(4) There is an area with drywall, clearly, and I’ll have to take the glue off of that but the plaster areas in (3) sort of blend into that and I can’t tell what’s going on.

I really want to get this wall finished up but I am not sure if I might be ruining it by scraping off the white plaster and yet I don’t know how else to get this wall smooth and remove the glue appropriately. I'd love any ideas on what these different layers might be, what needs to stay, what needs to be touched up after this process...and what I might have perhaps ruined at this stage. Thank you in advance!

Comments (15)