SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19724527

Credit cards mileage vs. cash back vs. another thing

User
5 years ago

Now that I can travel I have been thinking about getting a new credit card but cannot make up my mind about have one with mileage or cash back. The card I have been using is a plain jane that I received in 1974. I am not the type to put all expenses on a card as I have seen how dangerous that can be when a source of income is removed so I only want suggestions from people who do not do this. Since I am cheap any fee would have to be very low better yet none at all. I was shocked to see a $450 fee in an advertisement yesterday. What has worked for you?

Comments (49)

• eld6161
    5 years ago

In order to rack up miles, you have to put as much as you can on one card. We have JetBlue because that is our preferred airline. That said, we have other cards that we use as well. We do not pay membership fees. I know there are perks when you do, but so far what we do, meet ours needs. I would love to put everything on one card, but we have to have different cards due to our business,

For travel look into Capital One. If you want to accrue points, you will have to become one of those types who put all expenses on one card.

Cash back. Some feel that it is the same to use this cash for travel. I have never felt this way. Getting points for traveling to certain places can vary.

• Related Discussions

Debit Cards vs. Checks

Q

Comments (25)
    One thing to know about debit cards...you cannot put a stop payment on a transaction. You must dispute it and wait. I had a legitimate reason to stop payment on a transaction, but found I could not because it was on my debit card. I was told by the bank that it's essentially like cash when it comes to payment. Whenever we need to purchase a big ticket item, or have a repair done, we use our credit cards...gives us some protection, and in some cases, the CC covers a longer warranty. I use checks very, very infrequently. Debit or credit cards almost exclusively. And every one of our household bills is done with on-line bill pay. I set up regular recurring payments (mtg, car insurance, etc) and for variable payments, I can set the amount I want to pay. Even for places (like the garbage co) that don't have electronic payment option, my bank sends them a check, but immediately deducts the payment from my account as if it were an electronic payment. I absolutely love it. No paper, no stamps, no finding a mail box, no late fees, and a permanent record of what was paid where all on my computer screen. My mother actually turned me on to it! I quit writing checks to stores when I got the 3rd degree after writing a check. Needed ID, managers approval, yada yada. But swipe my plastic and no problemo. Honestly, it'd be easier for an identity thief to clean you out with plastic than a check, but the stores act like you're a criminal for writing a check (unless you're white haired, barely reach the counter and take 13 minutes to complete your transaction )
    ...See More

Cancelling credit cards & credit score

Q

Comments (10)
    Everything I've seen/heard about this is not to cancel credit cards. Cancelling them does affect your credit scores. That said, at one point I had 3 separate credit cards issued by the same bank. I use only one and pay the balance in full every month. I have received letters from the bank requesting that I either use the cards or said cards would be cancelled effective 30 days of the receipt of said letter. I didn't use them, and those accounts have been cancelled. DH hates credit cards and prefers to pay cash for purchases. I did check with the 3 credit bureaus regarding whether the cancellation by the bank for lack of use of those two cards would affect our credit scores. All three claimed that it would not, and I did manage to obtain fax confirmation of that assurance. I did pull reports at 90 days after their cancellation, and our scores hadn't changed. Unless the card company contacts you about cancelling for lack of use, I wouldn't cancel.
    ...See More

Reclaiming funds from my brkn eBay chairs-PayPal or Credit card?

Q

Comments (24)
    Geez, what a nightmare. Why can't people just be honest and treat others like they'd like to be treated? I just don't get it, it's not that hard. I really wanted to bid on some beautiful RL bedding, a rare style, but I really had to read between the lines and push to get info. Apparently with the shams the seller mentioned although never used, she did launder one "by mistake", but it went right back in the package. Saw no logic in that whatsoever... Since it was cotton and lace (delicate), I wondered if she dried it (which would ruin it). I emailed her asking if the washed sham had been distorted or shrank as a result. No reply. I wait a few days, auction is nearing and end, and basically email her a 'hey, I'd really like to bid, but have not received a reply to my question so I'm giving it one more try here.' That generated a response from her, she admitted that the laundered sham was 'snug' and corners 'curled', but suggested ironing would make it fit properly again. Good grief. (She failed to include that significant detail in her description, even after I asked, she didn't post my question and her answer.) Very cat and mouse. I'm glad I took time to push it, because although it was a beautiful set I might well be out the $, and it would be worthless with only one good sham (and it garnered pretty high $$). I'm watching to see what kind of feedback occurs once the buyer receives it. Anyway, back to valinsv's guy. Clearly there are major issues with some items he sells. Is he too ignorant to realize that having integrity would only bolster his business that much more? That's the part I just don't get. Treat people right, they'll keep coming back. Treat them badly as a habit and sooner or later he's going to lose. Seems to me with the type of volume he does he'd be a lot further ahead if he'd just be honest. Just curious mona if you might know: if he does get kicked off, is his IP address banned, or just his ebay ID? He seems to have such a huge system set up and selling high volume, can't see him just walking away. Could he just come back under a new ID? (Although given his business and volume and listing style, it would be easy to recognize it might be him.)
    ...See More

Contact free credit cards

Q

Comments (48)
    I don't own a debit card. I refuse them and also dislike pins which I will only use when required. Only one card in my wallet requires one. A 4 digit pin is about as useful security wise in my opinion as a four letter password. I do keep cash on hand but 99% of my purchases are with credit cards that carry some sort of reward. The only store card I use regularly is a Target/Mastercard that can be used anywhere. Not going to say no to 5% off stacked on other discounts available. I avoid store cards unless they can be used as regular CCs elsewhere. Also if a store bites the dust like Sears did the issuer will convert them often offer special financing. My Sears card was replaced by the issuer, no hard pull involved, and they offered 1 years zero interest on purchases as if it was a new card. I tend to buy new appliances and major household purchases that way. Use the banks money for as long as I can rather than my own makes sense to me. But I am good at money management and know our limits. Haven't paid interest in over a decade except for vehicle purchases. I juggle about 6-8 cards at any given time. DS is even better at it than me. He juggles dozens and churns. But he is younger,has the capital to do it with, and is blessed with a photographic memory along with his super math brain.
    ...See More
  • glenda_al
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Have one credit card and it does not charge a service fee. Pay mine off monthly and when it accumulates a nice amt in cash I get the cash reward. No expiration date.

• maddielee
    5 years ago

Our main card (VISA through our credit union) has no fee. For years we were AmEx users, had no issue dropping AmEx.

We use the card for most of our purchases excluding utilities. We do pay it off every month.

I honestly didn’t pay much attention to the points for years. I received a notice that some points had to be used within 6 months or those would be loss.

I was pleasantly surprised when I viewed the catalogue of available merchandise and travel options. We have used points for air fare as well as Apple products. My credit union rep did help me book the first trips because I wasn’t sure that I was doing things correctly.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Maddie, American Airlines had the same policy. They just needed to see SOME activity during a certain time frame. I was able to donate miles to charities such as Make a Wish etc.

• fran1523
    5 years ago

I have a Visa card from Fidelity investments. There is no fee and I'm almost certain you don't have to have an account at fidelity to get it. You can get cash back or gift cards to a lot of different stores and restaurants. If you do have a Fidelity acct. you can have money deposited to that. No miles available.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

maifleur, check with your bank for what they may have available. You can also get information with an internet search for "free credit card" or "no fee ....." There are many to choose from.

My experience is that people who want to maximize cash back or mileage awards from their cards go out of their way to pay for as much as they possibly can using their credit card. And usually just one. You shouldn't fear doing so yourself. The alternative, limiting what you use a card for, will also limit how much you receive back. The other issue, is if you decide to use one particular airline's card for awards on that airline, there's nothing to insure that the trip you want to take at a future date will be feasible on that airline.

It takes tens of thousands of miles for most simple plane trips so if you're a modest spender, the likelihood of accumulating lots of free travel isn't great. Cash, only a few percent, may be a better choice. I myself have one of the cards that nominally costs some hundreds of dollars but the benefits I get back from it annually far exceed the cost plus what a free card would give me. Everyone is different. I suspect a cash refund card might work best for you but you'll see what you can find.

• User
    5 years ago

We have one of the newer Costco cards offered by Citibank Visa which is a no fee as well. It has tiered cash earnings (depending on the purchase) that accrue and are paid out 1 time per year. One of the earnings is 4% on all gas, not just theirs, but their gas is already the lowest available; add the 4% earnings on top of that and it’s a good chunk of change. All of our purchases are paid for with the card and I pay it off religiously every month. I also have it set up to notify me when we’ve hit a certain amount so I’m accutely aware that I’m over budget for the month.

I much prefer cash over miles because then we’re not commited to only one option and can use the money for whatever we want. This years check went into savings.

You say you don’t want to charge everything but really that’s only way you’re going to make it worth your while. If it makes you nervous, just pay off your purchases on a weekly basis or even as soon as they hit the account. That’s what I did for over a year and until I had routine that I was comfortable with.

• Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

As others have already said, you'll get the best result if you charge everything on the one card, whether it's for cash back or airline miles. Let's say you always pay cash for groceries. So, charge your groceries, then pay the amount of the groceries to your credit card account from your checking account. I charge virtually everything on one card, and every week or so I pay off whatever I owe on the card. I never carry a balance more than 10 days, and never accrue an interest charge.

Before I retired, one of my coworkers and his husband and son went on a two-week trip through Italy. They flew first-class round trip, and their flights as well as all hotels, etc., were paid for by airline points and cash earned from a credit card. They charged everything to their card, including groceries and utilities, etc., to earn the miles and cash back. It seems like a no-brainer to get flights/cash for free for charging stuff you'd be buying anyway.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree with the accumulating lots of mile, Elmer, but since unless I become unhealthy both Europe and Asia are in my future. In the US I use Southwest as it goes most of the places I want to visit. I am a modest spender and my first overseas trips will be through a travel agency until I become accustom to travel again. I do not need the points either for cash or travel but did wonder if airline or bank provides the better benefit. In something I was watching a couple of weeks ago it was suggested that traveling with two cards was safer than just one. If you lost one you have the other to use or I would be content with the one I have. Only real advantage I see with airline cards is that some provide a bag checked free.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

It does depend on how you want to use your card. I have 3 that I use for specific reasons. I have a fee free, cash back Mastercard that I only use for those merchants who do not accept American Express -which isn't many. I think I use it for my hairdresser and my dry cleaner.

Both of my Am Ex cards do charge a fee but as Elmer said - I get more than the fee back every year. Last year mine covered my TSA/GOES application which was around $200, plus all the other benefits I earn.

And of course I pay off each month.

• Bookwoman
    5 years ago

One thing to look into, since you're going to be traveling abroad, is the foreign transaction fee tacked on by many cards, usually 3%. There are some cards which don't charge it, so take that into account when doing your search.

One of the highest-rated cashback cards is Citibank's Double Cash, which charges no annual fee: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-double-cash-credit-card

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

You'll become accustomed to travel, it's like riding a bike - you never forget but may need a refresher. I agree, having two cards is probably a good idea. If you want to be cautious, keep each in a different place, not both in the same purse. Bon voyage!

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I don't use award points/miles for transoceanic flights. The blackout periods and connection limitations are too restrictive to suit me and the number of miles needed for trips is ever increasing.

We have a friend who tries to use miles for European trips when possible and it's not unusual for her to have reservations with 3 flights segments each way. She lives in a city with nonstop flights to major European cities. No thanks. I gladly pay for the convenience of choosing my routing and business class on long flights and use my awards with much greater flexibility for hotels and car rentals.

Accumulating points for years and not using them isn't such a clever thing to do, in my opinion.

lindsey, why do you send payments for credit cards every 10 days when the billing only requires it once a month? What's accomplished?

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

In my experience, credit card companies get their fees one way or another mostly equally. Those who charge no foreign transaction fees typically use less customer-friendly exchange rates. Think of it as just a small added cost of the trip either way and don't worry about it.

One thing you can do is pay in foreign currency when possible. Prices quoted in US dollars, as from airlines/hotels etc or travel agents, are usually the most unfavorable of all. They do you no favors that way, don't be misled.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

I prefer cash back with my Chase Visa. Every month I get 5% cash back on the first $1500, then 1%. The problem with getting miles or gift cards is the limits on using the perks. Cash.....is the best perk....IMHO and....no annual fee. If you pay if off at the end of the month, no interest.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have to agree with the no fee vs. hidden fees. Most seem to have a few quirks that even out. I have already looked for Partner banks in Europe so that I recognize their names.

• OklaMoni
    5 years ago

I have three credit cards. One from before my divorce, and two since. One of them is from my insurance company( house and car) and the other is Amazon.

I used to use the one from my insurance company all the time... but really got nothing out of their points catalog... nothing there that I wanted. That is when I got the Amazon card. Now I get cash back through it.

I always pay my cards off, and I never paid to own a card.

Moni

• Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

"lindsey, why do you send payments for credit cards every 10 days when the billing only requires it once a month? What's accomplished?"

What is your argument against sending payments every 10 days or so? I pay nothing to use the "bill pay online" -- no monthly/yearly fee, and no buying of stamps or envelopes. My online payments are credited no later than two days after I click "Pay." I'm on my computer a lot, so it's very easy to just open a new browser tab and check my current credit card balances, and then go into my checking account bill pay service and send the payment.

On this one particular credit card, I've paid the following so far this month:

05 Mar 2019 - $1,279.93

08 Mar 2019 - $1,373.73

17 Mar 2019 - $643.49

With today's payment, I have zero debt. It's a better feeling to have, than to know I owe money to someone/some entity.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"I have already looked for Partner banks in Europe...."

maifleur, I'm not sure what you're referring to, but there's no need to concern yourself with anything like this as a tourist using debit and credit cards abroad.

For getting cash from an ATM, unless your issuer is a small bank or credit union, I'm going to stretch and say any ATM debit card will work in any ATM abroad. There is such a thing as the STAR system, a symbol you often see on ATMs both here and overseas. I have two debit cards, one has the symbol and one doesn't. I've used both (depends on account I want to get money out of), and have never faced a "doesn't work" situation.

You should avoid getting a cash advance from a credit card, those transactions are costly. Plan to use debit for cash, credit for purchases and other payments.

As far as availability of ATMs in Europe - they were common there some years before they were even known here. Even in small towns, you'll find them easily and in larger cities and towns, they're almost on every block. And in airports, train and bus stations, etc.,

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"What is your argument against sending payments every 10 days or so?"

With however many "bills" you pay each month, why spend more time and with more iterations than necessary? You paid this one 3 times in 12 days, once every 4 days on average. It could be once every 30 days. Why bother? All of your bills are "debt". How do you choose which you pay once a week and which you don't?

If you want a reason - time value of money. You could be earning interest on the cash by paying only when due. You let the credit card issuer use your money (it's called float) instead of using it yourself.

Now for some accounting - focusing on this bill only,

Net Worth on your personal balance sheet = Bank balance minus liabilities

If you pay the bill sooner, your liability (debt) decreases, your cash balance also decreases by the same amount so your net worth is unchanged. Nothing is accomplished and it makes no difference at all on your financial position. It's the same either way, so there's no reason to feel good, you've prematurely diminished your bank account. That costs you money to do.

But, of course, do what you want but understand what's involved.

• Michael
    5 years ago

We've been using the Ally CashBack Credit Card since inception.

2% gas and groceries; 1% elsewhere.

Plus 10% bonus when depositing cash rewards in the Ally Bank online savings account.

Receive a $100 bonus after spending your first $500.

Simple. Generous. No gimmicks. No fees.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Elmer Partner banks are ones that will charge little or no fees for ATM usage through an agreement with your own bank. They are also ones that if you have difficulties will assist you in getting a new card quicker.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

So you'd travel across town to use a particular ATM to save $2 on an ATM transaction for $100 instead of using the 5 you pass along the way? How would you find out where to go? And how would you get there? Don't bother.

maifleur, I lived in Europe for a number of years (not in a military or government job) and travel there at least annually and have for decades. Trust me, what you're concerning yourself with really doesn't matter and isn't going to save you enough money to matter, if any at all.

Travel isn't an adventure in international banking and finance, the amounts involved are too small.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It is the knowing that they are there in case of problems rather than the money. Sort of like having a AAA club card and never using it. You know if you have problems you should be able to get help.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

The AAA parallel isn't relevent because what you think might happen and what is possible are two different things. "Partner" banks won't issue you a replacement card and won't even allow you to withdraw cash from an account in another bank. My goodness, this isn't a problem. The equivalent of many, many years I've spent overseas and never had an issue but you think disaster will strike on a 2 week trip.

My spouse once had a card stolen - I didn't notify the issuer until I returned home because I wanted to continue to use it. Some $5K in charges had accumulated, all were reversed. Cost me $0.

Most issuers will send you a replacement card on an expedited basis, call it two days.

Set up a smartphone with near-field payment (Apple or Android Pay) and you don't need your card.

Spend your time in a bar and cool off, you're making a problem where there isn't one.

If you're really that concerned, get travelers checks and keep them in your knickers (don't use a fanny pack, a money belt, or any such thing). I'll warn you, they're a pain to use, no one uses them anymore and instead of a 30 second ATM encounter, you'll spend 15 minutes in a bank branch and get a crappy exchange rate.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    5 years ago

We use three cards, depending on what we are doing.

Capital One Travel card is good because it does not have foreign exchange fees; and I don't have to let them know when and where we are traveling. This year, we will cruise for 85 days, all that adds up to convenience. We use the points for gift cards, in the past 60 days, I have received three Publix (grocery chain) gift cards worth $100 each. We were going to travel, why not get free groceries, too.

Bank of America is good for gift cards, gas stations particularly are handy.

And, I use the points from my Discover to get gift cards for Lowe's, I am always needing something there. We don't eat out much, but I can get restaurant gift cards and use them as thank you gifts for the cat sitter, etc.

Air miles? Nope, we generally fly one way to get to the cruise and then cruise back to Florida (then drive home). I book the air fare with the cruise lines and get good deals vs what I can find on my own.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

I keep track of my bank balance pretty closely, and as far as the credit card usage, I set aside $300 each month for the fixed bills and gas, and then track the major purchases as they accrue. We're doing a remodel, so if I spend $500 at Lowe's, I make note of it. When my CC bill comes, I've already "set aside" $800 for the regular bills plus the Lowe's purchases. I take note of every CC purchase over about $50 as a running tally. I never have any surprises on my bill, and I always know my bank balance less the CC payment..I use my Costco-linked card, and get a check for about $300-$400 each year. This year with the remodel will be more. I pay in full every month, never have paid interest.

• User
    5 years ago

Kroger owned stores do not take Visa.

you might try AARP and Capital One.

• User
    5 years ago

I like the cash back.

dh had a USBank and they tried to

cheat him out of his cash back.

• Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

"With however many "bills" you pay each month, why spend more time and with more iterations than necessary? You paid this one 3 times in 12 days, once every 4 days on average. It could be once every 30 days. Why bother? All of your bills are "debt". How do you choose which you pay once a week and which you don't?"

I have very few bills. My Lexus is owned free and clear, Hubs has another year to pay on his vehicle. Our house is owned free and clear. I pay telephone, Internet, and cable once per month, at the end of the month, when the bills for same are received. I make two payments per year for our auto insurance. Hubs has automatic monthly deductions for our homeowner's insurance and security system, and pays at the end of the month for gas, electricity, water/sewer, and garbage/recycle collection, and the credit cards he uses.

As I wrote earlier, I use one particular credit card for nearly everything (and I different credit card is the default on my PayPal account). Used to be that when I went to the grocery store, I'd either write a check, pay cash, or, more likely, use my debit card. So how am I harmed if I use my credit card and then a day or two later pay off that credit card? The cash/debit at the grocery store isn't going to earn interest on my money, so how is it any different if charge the groceries and then pay off the credit card right away?

Several months ago I bought a NuStep Recumbent Cross Trainer, because that's what I used in cardiac rehab after getting my stent, and I really like the machine. I charged the purchase to this same credit card. I could have made monthly payments, incurring interest on the balance, or I could have financed it, which also would have accrued interest to be paid. Instead, 12 days after I made the purchase (you can only purchase these machines directly from the NuStep company), I paid off the entire amount charged to my card. Yes, I could have done a balance transfer from that card to another card on a zero-interest-if-paid-within-a-specific-number-of-months deal, but I prefer not to have any debt if I don't need to. Sorry if that offends you, but it works for me.

• ldstarr
    5 years ago

We have 3 cards. 1 for DH's business, 1 for our daily expenses and 1 for online use. None of them have annual fees. The business one accrues points towards capital equipment relevant to his industry. Our daily one is a cash back card and the particular issuer offers "bonus" cash back if you deposit the reward to an account in their bank. The online one is an oldie with rewards categories. Since we pay all 3 of them off every month, I don't worry about the interest rates.

• dedtired
    5 years ago

I charge everything to my Capital One card. I just had a huge household expense and charged $8k to the card. I paid it off two days later and got a bunch of points. In the past I’ve used my points for travel but I also have the option of getting cash. I pay my balance off every month and never pay a fee. As someone mentioned, it’s a great card for travel since there are no foreign transaction fees. We are planning a trip to Africa and I hope I have enough points to upgrade to business class .

• Angela Id
    5 years ago

I use Fred Meyer's (Kroger's) "clicklist" grocery shopping monthly. My purchases are charged to my Visa card. What makes you think Kroger doesn't accept Visa?

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

We used to accumulate miles on our card, but hubby racked up so many frequent flyer miles due to his work that we now have a card that accumulates hotel points.

We use our CC for all of our expenses and pay it off every month. I figure regardless of whether we pay one big bill at the end of the billing period or a bunch of small bills throughout the month, the money is there in our account to pay whatever our monthly expenses were, so why not just make one payment.

While that works for us, I understand that different methods work for different people and that we all have our own comfort levels and ways we like to do things. Whatever floats our boats; no one is causing me any harm by managing their finances the way that they like and that makes sense to them. :-)

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If explaining why it was suggested that people traveling overseas should know about the Partner banks is getting my knickers in a twist is interesting. It was a suggestion from a couple of sources that also suggested having a second card in case one was lost or stolen. So one is good but the other one bogus. Nice to know.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Maybe I'm disappointed at your closed-mindedness when I tried to help you by explaining your misunderstanding. Offended? No. It doesn't affect me and I don't care. You seem to not understand the basic concept of the time value of money nor simple personal finances and if you're happy, great.

• localeater
    5 years ago

“My spouse once had a card stolen - I didn't notify the issuer until I returned home because I wanted to continue to use it. Some $5K in charges had accumulated, all were reversed. Cost me $0.”

When you knew the card was stolen, and chose not to report it, You violated your cardholder agreement. You are required to notify them in 24 hours or you can be held liable. Increasing bank write offs contributes to why cards have high fees.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I think I left out one detail, the story I was relating was a propos this thread - we were in Europe, on Day 4 or so of a nearly 3 week trip. She was the victim of a pickpocket but she was partially to blame because of forgetting to follow a simple precaution when in a crowd.

I called the card issuer the day I returned to the US. I'm an honest person - I told them exactly what happened, what I did, and why. The response was supportive and the rep on the phone said (as I recall) "that's fine, there's no problem. Let's go through recent charges and we'll reverse those that aren't yours."

They also got her debit card but for whatever reason that didn't get used. Maybe because of having a PIN?

PS- most foreign issued credit cards (including in our neighbor Canada) these days have PINs for protection. Most in the US don't but Chip + PIN cards are available from some US issuers and are useful for foreign travel. My second VISA is such a CHIP & PIN type. It's not essential to have but automated charge machines, like those to buy train or subway tickets, to pay for gas at the pump, etc., often won't take a US Chip and signature card. That's when my Pin version is useful.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Elmer I stopped paying attention when you mentioned saving a $2 fee difference. While I do not know about Europe, yet, in this area the fees vary from machine to machine so if available I prefer using a bank's atm. Thanks for the suggestions but sometimes I wonder.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Do whatever you want. You know little about it but your mind is made up. I'm sorry I spent so much time trying to help you since you think you're better informed.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Two different people in one thread, "I know very little and maybe nothing about this but I know I'm right and you're wrong". Serves me right for trying to be helpful?

• chisue
    5 years ago

I don't understand paying any bill before it is due unless there's some financial reward for doing so. Yes, sometimes the CC statement at the end of the month is BIG, but I harbor no illusions that I don't owe for a purchase just because I didn't part with the cash upfront.

If you didn't pay in full monthly, paying bit by bit could save you on interest -- but you don't pay interest if you pay in full at the end of the month.

It probably does no harm though. Unlike a human bookkeeper, the bank's computers don't get cranky about pulling up the same account ten times a month to register payments before they are due.

A bit OT: DH and I pay our dentist by check. He gives a 5% discount to avoid paying the CC fee. We forgo 2% cash back from our CC.

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

dedtired, with that 8K purchase, that you paid off after a few days, and accumulated a lot of points ... would there have been fewer points given if you'd let the amount owing run till after the billing date? If not, as Elmer suggested to several, why bother?

Granted ... all the interest that 8K will accrue in 15 - 45 days or so won't buy many ice cream cones!

But, as I've often suggested to young folks, general public, financial workers, etc., "Learning how money works is an interesting hobby ... and IT PAYS WELL!"

Taxes, too! _________________________

Don't know whether this is current, or how many may follow it, but I've heard that it's part of the contract many credit card issuers require of the dealers is that they can't offer discounts for cash purchases.

Which annoys me, paying for many of my purchases with cash.

Maybe I should ask a store with the credit card sticker on the door whether there's a discount for cash, and if none, walk out, leaving the goods behind. But ... then ... there's my time ... and letting the annoyance get to me.

Plus, with my "credit" (read "debt") card ... being old, and forgetful, don't help, when they want you to have a mess of capital and small letters, numbers, symbols, etc. for your PIN ... and change it frequently ...

... how was that, again, please?

ole joyful

• Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

For Elmer and ChiSue, and anyone/everyone who thinks that DedTired or I (or anyone else) shouldn't pay anything on credit card bills until the due date so that we could earn interest on our money until it's paid out --

My feeling is this (your mileage probably will vary) -- Interest earned is taxable. My husband and I are financially very comfortable in retirement and have a higher net income after retirement than before. Neither one of us cares if we could earn a bit more interest by waiting a few days/weeks to pay off a credit card because that extra interest could move us up a step on the tax table. To us, it's not crazy to not want to pay/owe more tax.

As I said, your mileage may vary, but we don't have any problems/complaints with our finances as they are. Quite the opposite.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

So long as you're not in a 100% tax bracket, there's money left after tax from interest bearing deposits. If you don't want to pay tax on interest, there are Cal muni money market funds that pay the equivalent of over 2% or more after tax. If you want to pursue lax money management, waive part of your pension, you're allowed to do that. If you have any extra money you don't need or want, message me, I'll send you an address.

It's not just the time value of money, it's also convenience. For any of these purchases, you could write one check instead of three.

It's a restatement of what I said before, the sentiment seems to be, "I know very little and maybe nothing about this but I know I'm right and you're wrong"

• Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

"It's not just the time value of money, it's also convenience. For any of these purchases, you could write one check instead of three."

As I said before, I am on my computer a lot, so it's very easy for me to open another browser tab and make an online payment. I write, at most, two checks a year. If we owe money to the IRS, that's check 1. If we owe money to the California FTB, that's check 2. We do not owe money to the IRS and/or FTB every year. Sometimes it's years between checks. Even our property taxes can be paid through online bill pay. And if for some reason I need or want to send money to someone or some other business, I can enter the person or business as a payee in my online bill pay, and the bank will issue them a paper check. I don't get charged for the check, the sending of the check, or the stamp or envelope to mail the check. It is totally and completely free. A shame you can't understand that.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Even relatively sophisticated personal finance and money management techniques are not that complicated. What you're talking about is, by comparison, at a very simple and basic level. You can be sure that as a retired professional financial adviser, I understand this all quite well.

That's fine, but it appears your understanding of what you deal with is incomplete. Be happy and of course do whatever you want. But you should try to be open to accept that people with more background in the area - me in this case - may have a better understanding than you do. Take it or leave it, I was trying to be helpful. Others understood and agreed with my comments though you didn't.