SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salvatore_giordano8

Garage Sub-panel Wiring Confusion - Please Help?

Hello all – I’m looking for some clarification on wiring my newly-built detached garage.

At the outset, I’ll say I am not a complete novice with electrical, as I wired half of my house myself and installed an automatic standby generator myself as well. I’ve done a lot of minor electric work, though never major stuff like service entrance work with large aluminum wire. My setup is as follows:

I have 200 amp service in my house (2 main panels), with plenty of empty spots for circuits and breakers. I would need a little over 100’ of wire to connect the main service panel in the house to the subpanel in the garage. I already have 1 ¼” grey pvc conduit buried between the house and the garage site. I do wish now I have gone for something bigger, depending on what size wire I end up having to pull. AND, for what it’s worth, it is considered a farm building by my county, so it will not get inspected (which does NOT mean I want it to be unsafe, however!)

The garage is going to have two garage door openers, some general use receptacles, some lights, and a workshop. The biggest load I’d have in the workshop would be a compressor (just larger than a pancake one, but NOT one of the big stand-up ones) and a table saw (not a real industrial one, basic Lowes model). Only one or two tools would be used at the same time – no welders or anything like that.

My plan was to install a 60-amp breaker in my home’s main service panel, a 100-amp subpanel in the garage, and to connect to the two with 6-3 copper wire (NM-B/Romex). In reading about the question of a ground wire, it seems that my sub-panel in the garage should be the SE-R type and have a separate ground and ground rod, right?

My questions are about 1) the breaker in the house main panel, 2) the sub-panel in the garage, and 3) the most confusing part of it all seems to be the wire. I’ll start there.

1) Will 6/3 copper wire suffice for this project? AND, how much of a bear will it be to pull 100’ of that through the 1 ¼” conduit?

2) I am very confused about THHN wire – are they copper or aluminum or either? Why would I choose THHN over either NM-B/Romex or aluminum?

3) If I needed something more than 6/3, should I consider aluminum? If I went with aluminum would I need #2, #4, or #6? If it’s being fed from a 60amp breaker in my main panel, it seems like I could use #4 wire (smaller and easier to pull I imagine)

4) If I really needed to, I could dig and use Direct Burial Romex if that makes the process easier (although it seems they also make direct burial aluminum).

It’s really the wire that there seems to be a lot of debate about. Perhaps 6/3 is too small?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments (10)