Are you ever a bit embarrassed to buy certain things?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The lady in front of me at Publix bought some PreparationH. She put it under her paper towels on the belt and snatched it up and put it into her bag before the young guy bagging her stuff could get to it. I thought this was a bit extreme, but I still understood her.

i felt a bit uncomfortable before buying stuff like athlets foot cream at the store I have been going to for 20 years and all the cashiers know me.

How about you?

SaveComment51Like
Comments (51)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fun2BHere

I'm not embarassed, but I'm past the age of caring. I even go to store without make-up on sometimes.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
bpath Oh Sophie

Fun, the day I go to the store without makeup is the day I see everyone I know.

25 years of marriage and I'm still embarrassed to put, um personal lubricants on the cashier line. So far I'm not embarrassed to buy incontinence products because they are not for me. Think I can get away with that when I'm 94?

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Elmer J Fudd

No, not at all. We're all human and we buy what we buy. Whether it's something for you or something for me, who cares?

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Annette Holbrook(z7a)

Amazon...

12 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
eld6161

There is self check-out every where I go. No need to ever have someone see any of my purchases.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
amylou321

Nope. The cashiers really don't care most likely. Anyway, I use self checkout if I can. not because of embarrassment, but because its easier and faster. But if for some reason I don't use self checkout, i never give a thought to what the cashiers would think.

Well, I did once.....

My sister and her family were visiting from out of state and staying at my parents' house. She suffers from hemorrhoids, and caught a stomach flu while she was there. She begged me to go get her some tucks wipes and Imodium. While i was there, I decided to test the cashiers poker face. I got the requested Tucks and the Imodium. The biggest available size of each.I was sure to put those front and center on the belt first. Then I added a can of Lysol,a bottle of bleach,a mop, a tarp, once of those candles with the Virgin Mary on it, and a bible.

A true professional, the cashier didn't even flinch.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Amylou, that’s funny! Our cashiers are not that professional. I don’t really mind most of the time. The guy restocking the freezer stuff asked me if I am having a party since I had Warsteiner and wine in my cart today. One of them congratulated me a long time ago when I bought a pregnancy test. She is always happy if my daughter is shopping with me (now a senior in College). So it’s a bit weird.

Save    
Pawprint

Enemas. I put them in my cart & pile stuff on top to hide them because people always look in my cart when I roll by & I feel embarrassed.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
kathyg_in_mi

Amyloid, you are a hoot!

Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
1929Spanish-GW

I love “three of these things belong together” and love it when my cart doesn’t make sense.

One time I bought tampons, some kind of junk food, Advil and motor oil! Not on purpose.

Another day I bought this

I’m weird and no longer embarrassed of anything, except using DH’s nose hair clippers. We all have our thing.

morz8

I wonder if my indiscreet clerk story is too much for here.

Years ago, I was shopping with my now SIL and one of the items on her list was condoms, and yes, she was self conscious buying them. She took a value pack off the shelf so as not to make the purchase frequently, and when the clerk rang up her things, the clerk exclaimed loudly in a crowded store....4 Dozen! Oh My!!!

Not the brightest clerk in this small town 0) And, she went on to become a pharmacy assistant and moved to the city where my mother lived, working for Kaiser. Every time I'd fill prescriptions for my mother, I would see this woman who insisted on treating me like an old friend. We were never friends ;0)

kadefol

^^ That reminds me of the Golden Girls episode where they were buying condoms and other potentially embarrassing stuff before going on a cruise.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha. I am sure AmyLou would have had a witty response. Like “well, they have to last for a month”. I probably would have just turned red.

2 Likes Save    
Kathsgrdn

No. I used to get embarrassed when I was really young but not anymore. Who cares what I buy? Nobody.

schoolhouse_gw

Feminine hygiene products still make me a little embarrassed esp. when the cashier at the drug store is a man. But I'm shy by nature.

mamapinky0

Scott so nice to see you.

cooper8828

One time I saw a mouse dart across my kitchen floor. I had three or four cats at the time, so they obviously weren't doing their job. I stopped at Tractor Supply on my way home from work that day and had a flat cart piled high with kitty litter, dry cat food, case of canned cat food, catnip, and a mouse trap on top. I was a little embarrassed to go through the line. I thought the cashier would think I was nuts to have cat supplies and a trap, but nothing. I laughed when I got outside at the absurdity of it all.

amylou321

Iris,depending on my mood,I might have asked her if she was jealous of all the action i was getting.

Or said something like, "Can I get an extra receipt to give my accountant? I need it to write these off as a business expense."

Or i would have paired them with 5 bottles of chocolate syrup, one of those waterproof mattress protectors, some Gatorade, ben gay,zip ties........and a new dog collar.

And probably another bottle of bleach, just for giggles.

amylou321

Pawprint!!!!!! Is that you?!?!?! I have missed you! So good to see you back!

marilyn_c

Not since I was about 14 and had to buy tampons. Doesn't bother me to buy anything...and I have gone without makeup for so long that now I feel conspicuous wearing it.

matti5

For some odd reason I always get stuck in line with the "grocery cart commenter". Last week I was told my cart was "very disorganized". It was mainly fresh fruits and veggies. I'm guessing I need alphabetize? Sort by color? Veggies to left, fruits to the right?

I've never been embarrassed to buy whatever. DH used to panic when I asked him to buy my feminine products. Sorry, everyone has to suffer lol

amylou321

SO doesn't shop, but once I needed him to stop and get me some feminine products. I didnt know I was out and obviously couldn't go get them. I apologized but he said that when you see a man buying things like that,it just means he's got someone to love,be it a wife, a girlfriend or a daughter. And THAT is nothing to be embarrassed about.

I agree.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Chi

Once as a teenager I was standing behind a man who only had 3 items: condoms, whipped cream and dog food. :)

I think it's interesting to read about cashiers commenting. I've had some tell me that they aren't allowed to comment on people's items.

Debby

I run a cash register quite often, although it's not my 'job'. But I was a cashier for many years. I don't judge most people when I see what they're buying. Although, when one buys a pregnancy test and a box of condoms, I giggle inside. Maybe they should have used the condoms every time, the pregnancy test wouldn't be needed? ;) And the one guy who bought Flintstone Vitamins and Muscle Magazine. I had to say to him, "if you take these vitamins will you get muscles like him?" He laughed. I would never embarrass a customer by saying anything rude about their purchase. Nobody should be shy about it. But that's "me".

amylou321

Matti, I also attract cart commenters. The last time was a couple weeks ago. I was stopped in an aisle,and a woman was walking the other way. She stopped, looked in my cart, and said,"you know that diet soda is worse for you than regular soda right? You should drink water."

I was tired and without my usual ability to find the humor in such things. I didn't even acknowledge her. Like, I never even looked her way or said a word. She stood there looking in my cart until I pushed it away. It was weird. Especially as she, much like some other impromptu personal trainers/nutritionists, was almost twice my size. Ugh.

roxanna7

amylou -- your possible comebacks are hilarious!!

And your SO is definitely a lovely fellow. Lucky you!

georgysmom2

Dh just had a knee replacement. Recently a young woman in our neighborhood, (I think she was around 68) had the same surgery. Apparently she became constipated from all the drugs and didn't tell anyone. Her colon burst and she died. A horrible story. I wanted to make sure DH didn't have the same problem so when grocery shopping I bought a huge bottle of prune juice and three large containers of prunes. I must admit I was hiding some under other groceries. I was thrilled when I got to a check-out and no-one was behind me. I could just imagine them thinking, man she must have a REAL problem!

pekemom

When I was a teenager my boyfriend bought me a young puppy. He was just weaned recently and I wasn't sure what he was supposed to eat so I was buying baby cereal. I said to my boyfriend "when he gets a little older I'll feed him dog food." You should have seen the looks we got....people thought we were talking about a baby.

DawnInCal

Most of the things mentioned have embarrassed me at one time or another. It seems like pretty much every kid who attended the elementary school where I worked ends up bagging groceries at the local store when they are in high school. It can be kind of uncomfy to have lil' Johhny, whom I've known since kindergarten bag one's purchase of fem hygiene products, toenail fungus cream or that large bottle of tequilla.

Hubby used to hate going to buy beer and ending up in the checkout line manned by the guy who would yell out, "HEY, having a party this weekend?" He finally had enough and told the guy to shut up and ring up his purchases without the running commentary.

Elizabeth

I am never embarrassed by what I am buying. Cashiers don't really care. They've seen it all. They don't even know me. So....meh.

nicole___

Yes, in Lowes. Found porcelain floor tile, .10cents a sq ft, loaded a cart FULL...then the cashier thought we were changing price tags/shop lifting when we tried to check out. The SKU on the yellow sale tag matched each box, we even brought the tag from the aisle. She had to call a manager....held up the line....everyone was looking at us like we were OBVIOUSLY robbing a bank......

Looking back on it....it was funny....

Jasdip

We were the first time or two buying incontinence items after hubby's surgery. Then it got to be second-nature. Cashiers put thru so many items they don't care or pay attention, or if they do, they'd forget about it.

artemis_ma

Not really.

But I can tell you Dad was embarrassed once back when I was a teen.

Mom and I had gone out shopping, and when I came back in, he wanted to see what was in the bag that I was going to bring down to my room.

I said it's private (having a pretty good idea how he'd react).

He insisted. (You can see this coming, right?)

The box of Kotex turned him red, stuttering, and never ever again able to ask me what was in any package or bag I'd bought as long as I lived there.

artemis_ma

I did feel a bit shy about the colonoscopy juice I had to purchase and drink. But it wasn't stressful. There were a whole line of them waiting for people like me to come and pick theirs up.

sushipup1

Every year forever I buy my 50+ year old son baseball cards for his April birthday. I have gotten a few looks when I buy $40 bucks of cards each spring.

lily12

I use self-checkout now but when I was a teen I was so embarrassed buying Kotex products. Of course, now it wouldn't faze me.

Sisters in faith

The only time, I can being embarrassed, is in my twenties, buying sexy lingerie.

jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

My sis and I were at checkout - she was 9 months pregnant and we were buying 3 things - a toilet plunger, advil and kotex (for me). Our imaginations got the best of us and we burst into uncontrollable laughter, tears rolling down our faces. The checker didn't get the humor of it.

lindaohnowga

Our two cats love real chicken baby food. My hubby is 85 years old and gets some strange looks when he is buying baby food. Several years ago we went into the drugstore and asked the young girl where we could find tampons. She giggled and said "Follow me". I had to explain to her that I was making Tampon angels out of them. LOL Hubby also buys many bags of peanuts. One lady said, "You must really eat a lot of peanuts." Hubby explained that we feed every squirrel in town.

eld6161

Why would an older person, who could be a grandparent get strange looks buying baby food?

seniorgal

My husband often shopped at the military commissary after work. I always gave him a list. We had four daughters so were heavy users of Kotex in the big boxes. He balked at buying that.

lindaohnowga

eld6161 I think like you do, that my husband could be a grandpa buying the baby food, but I told him if anyone asks, to just say "My wife and I have a baby." That should amaze them. Or to say "We have few teeth left and must eat baby food." LOL

nicole___

I remember running into a grocery store when I was about 16 years old ...buying one jar of baby food....for my baby iguana. The cashier said, "I hope your baby can survive on that!" At the time....I was just in shock. Now I'm thinking I should have had a quick come back.....

dedtired

Tampon angels?

Debby

My husband is 1/2 Native. One time, he was buying two bottles of Listerine and a few bags of potato chips. He said, "We're having a party!" The cashier knew us and burst out laughing. The new cashier almost had a heart attack. It was too funny.

liira55

I’m a cashier at a grocery store. I never comment on people’s personal purchases. One time someone came through my til with about 10 cans of pumpkin and I asked if they were making pies and the customer said no, my dog is sick and this helps. The funniest I think was about two minutes to closing a girl comes running in and the only thing she bought was a pregnancy test.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Dedtired, I have also been wondering about the tampon angels. Afraid to google it.

Save    
Jasdip

How about a tampon Casper?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s cute!

Save    
lindaohnowga

Love the tampon ghost. I gave one of my tampon angels to a friend who hung it in her bathroom. She ended up with a very fat angel due to the heat and moisture from her shower. LOL We made some strange things years ago including sanitary pad slippers. LOL

chisue

I'm not narcissist enough to think that what I buy is of any importance to a cashier.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home Home-Buying Checklist: 20 Things to Consider Beyond the Inspection
Quality of life is just as important as construction quality. Learn what to look for at open houses to ensure comfort in your new home
Full Story
Decorating Guides Things You Need to Know About Buying a Sofa
Learn about foam versus feathers, seat depth, springs, fabric and more for a couch that will work for years to come
Full Story
Life 8 Things to Learn From Open Houses (Whether or Not You’re Buying)
You can gather ideas, get a handle on the market, find an agent and more
Full Story