SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gameangel64

French drain across center of sloped yard to help with mud/drainage?

Elana
5 years ago

We are doing a major overhaul to the yard of our new house (moved in last June). We are removing the deck and replacing with a paver brick patio, which will be a fair bit smaller than the deck. We are also asking the hardscaper to address our drainage issues, which you can get a taste of in the photos below. Mostly it is my rear neighbor who is suffering (literal duck pond in some seasons) as they are towards the bottom of the hill; however, we still get unbearable amounts of mud in our yard. I am told that regrading will only make things worse, drainage-wise, so the slope must remain.

The proposal we received involves burying and angling the sump pump line a bit differently, as well as installing a French drain horizontally across the middle of our yard. 6" of topsoil will cover it, so we don't have to see it. The premise is that the water will sink deeper into the ground on its way rolling down the hill, so we'll see less of it at the top. Is this premise sound? I was quoted $1890 for this drainage work.

Also, we are surrounded by neighbor's yards on all sides, so we cannot simply drain into the street, in case anyone was wondering.

Comments (49)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting