SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Define Loam Soil

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Traditional "loam" soil contains 40% sand, 40% silt, and 20% clay. There are however different types of loam. Can someone list the different types of loam soil, and what are the exact compositions of each of those types of soil? I see some people define these sub-categories as "light", "medium", and "heavy" loam. Others define using other terms. I have had a hard time finding an authoritative reference. I am not trying to just understand the concept. I want a formula for creating each type of soil.

Regarding "silt", this is fine granite, but how large are those particles? No rockery sells granite "silt". What they do sell is granite "fines". "Fines" are usually defined as 1/4 inch and smaller granite particles. Would that be silt, or close enough for practical purposes?

Assuming you want to buy sand in bulk, you rarely find a rockery selling beach sand with larger sizes targeted to horticultural use. What you do find is "fill sand", typically used as a drainage layer. Can that kind of sand be used as the sand to make a loam soil? If not, what are the characteristics of the sand that makes a loam soil.

The above are just some hardcore "soil geek" questions. I want to have a very solid understanding of loam soil.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz