SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roxanna7

How to avoid mildew in Phlox -- my tip

roxanna7
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I love tall phlox and have many older varieties that are prone to mildew. The mildew battle can be won! I read somewhere that using a milk-and-water spray would prevent/get rid of the problem, so for the past two years I have done this. And, for me, it works!

Just mix 1 part milk to 9 parts water in your spray bottle (I have a dandy little hand-pump one) and spray tops and undersides of phlox leaves til runoff. In the morning is best for allowing drying. Apply again as needed, especially after rain.

The milk used can be any type of dairy milk -- whole, skim, whatever. I use skim as that is what we buy.

I do not find this to be a chore -- since the procedure has nearly eliminated mildew on my phlox (and on lilac, I might add) I am happy to wander my gardens doing this. It affords a pleasant time examining the rest of the plants to see how everything is doing.

Give it a try!

I got the sprayer at Amazon -- comes in larger size also, and has excellent adjustable nozzle to apply underneath leaves. Solo One-hand Pressure Sprayer. Sorry I don't know how to link.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm