Hidden glitches

Lucille

Apparently USPS has lost a money order I mailed to my credit union. I was having difficulties getting a replacement online and was increasingly frustrated as I did everything correctly and it didn't work. I finally called Moneygram and apparently their online replacement software and Safari have compatibility issues. I switched to Firefox and all went well.

I'm wondering how common these sorts of glitches are?

SaveComment17Like
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

I think it is quite common. I have to keep an updated inventory of government savings bonds until my husband's conservatorship is signed off by the judge. I have used several different browsers because the site keeps being compatible to the one I was using. Last time I checked among all of the browsers there were only three that were compatible.

Save     Thanked by Lucille
graywings123

I have encountered the situation of websites being incompatible with the browser I was using. Some will even mention it on their home screen. I mainly use Firefox, but have a few others at the ready for times like that.

I don't believe I have ever sent or received a money order.

Feathers11

A lot of my work is online and Safari can be difficult in accessing charts and graphs and downloads, etc. I do most of my work on Chrome.

graywings123

Ha! I was just on the Schwab investment site and wanted to add an additional brokerage account. Firefox would not open the box I needed, so I went in via Chrome and it worked fine.

lukkiirish

When you think about it though, it’s not all that surprising that we come across all these glitches. Especially when you consider all the different softwares and programs these engines have to be able to support along with all their updates, it’s really kind of mind boggling.

ETA: That doesn’t make it any less frustrating for the user, but still.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lucille
Elmer J Fudd

The easiest and quickest way to make a deposit is using a smartphone and a mobile app. Nearly all banks and credit unions, but for the very smallest, offer this capability. Some also offer website deposits by uploading scanned check images using a browser and a PC. If yours doesn't offer either and you regularly get checks to deposit, it's a reason to use a different institution that does offer mobile deposits. Failing that, most institution also allow deposits using ATMs.

So few deposits go through the mail these days, I'd be concerned about the bank/CU handling it properly. The problem might not be the postal service.

I too have never sent or received a money order. I'm not sure of the circumstances that would lead to doing so.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Browser incompatibility with websites isn't new and I encounter it periodically too. I think the problem is as much on the website-building tools side as on the browser side. Every PC should have at least two browsers installed - they're free, no reason not to.

Save    
gigirambles

Browser incompatibility is quite common. I know that I have three different browsers at work for various different applications. Frustrating; but what can you do?

PRO
Anglophilia

In the early days of eBay (long before PayPal), one often had to pay using a Postal Money Order. I kept my tiny ME town post office busy, buying them and sending them!

I use Safari most of the time and only rarely find a web site that is not compatible with it. I keep Chrome installed on my desktop computer "just in case", though.

Elmer's right about how easy and foolproof it is to use a mobile app to make a deposit of a check in ones checking accounts. It's especially nice in bad weather or if one is ill and not going out. My grandson's love it - no begging for a ride to the drive-in bank to deposit their birthday and Christmas checks!

Save    
graywings123

I'm guessing the OP was starting with cash, in which case the mobile app approach would not work. Right?

Save    
Lucille

It is moot. No replacement is available. Apparently someone stole the money order after it had been mailed, forged my name and cashed it.

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

Would t they need to have signed the name of the recipient, not your name?

Save    
Lucille

Yes, I guess they forged the name of my credit union. But they may have also altered the money order.

Save    
Lucille

Thank you everyone for your expressions of concern.

Save    
graywings123

It is a federal crime to steal something from the mail. Is the USPS investigating this?

Lucille

I am first requesting a copy of the signed money order from Moneygram.

Save    
Lucille

The mystery is solved but I don't know that I am any more comfortable although I do have my money. The credit union received the money order, which was was endorsed with my account number which was not correct and also altered, and the money was placed in another account.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Considering a Fixer-Upper? 15 Questions to Ask First
Learn about the hidden costs and treasures of older homes to avoid budget surprises and accidentally tossing valuable features
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 5 Risks in Buying a Short-Sale Home — and How to Handle Them
Don’t let the lure of a great deal blind you to the hidden costs and issues in snagging a short-sale property
Full Story
Most Popular A Beginner’s Guide to Managing a Remodel
How do you make your design dream a reality? Here’s some project management know-how to help you work with your designer
Full Story