SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houseinthewoods18

Maybe ugly house - please help by recommending fixes?

I have a house that is in a great spot. Acres of land, beautiful gardens, nice view - as you come out the front door, you see the backside of our local ski mountain. It's very pretty. So, the problem. We've lived here for a few years and I still think it's ugly. My husband disagrees, he loves it. But he's willing to change things, possibly because he's sick of listening to me complain. We've bounced around some ideas but nothing solid. What can I do to improve the look of this house? I may be willing to take serious measures, maybe even change the roofline (I find the peak odd, it's a relic from a renovation/expansion that was done ~ 20 years ago). The size of the house is fine so I'm not considering a remodel that would expand the space. My primary complaint? The gloominess. Can this be cheered up? Thoughts we've had include: new roof (needed) and maybe paint the window trim (not outside the windows, but the wood pane/parts of the windows themselves. They are dark brown right now) and sills. What color? No idea. The siding is rough sawn cedar, it's in great shape, though I don't like the color. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (13)