SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emho23

Measuring toilet depth for small bathroom

emho23
5 years ago

Hi! We are replacing a toilet in a small, fairly oddly laid out bathroom. This is an old house and there is not as much space between the front of the toilet as one would like (or as much as code would require if we were remodeling). Not looking for criticism of the layout, we know it's funky, it was not chosen by us. We aren't moving any plumbing, just replacing the toilet. The rough in is 12".

My question is, how do I find the toilet with the shortest depth as measured from the wall to the front of the bowl? All the manufacturers (except American Standard, which has no good options) seem to measure the depth as from the back of the tank to the front of the bowl, but that doesn't help us. And none of them seem to list a measurement for what the clearance should be between the tank and the wall, or the distance from the rough in to the front edge, which would let me figure out what we need to know. I don't care how long the toilet itself is, I only care how far it will stick out from the wall.

(Some of the options I was looking at are the Kohler San Souci round front, the Toto Promenade Round Front, or the Galba Carus - http://www.luxurymodernhome.com/carus-tiny-small-toilet-23-inch-smallest-short-compact.html).

This might be the dumbest question in plumbing history...but please help! Thanks!

Comments (29)