SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novice0

Living Room All Leather?

novice0
5 years ago

We are in the process of replacing our current Living room furniture with a new Bradington Young leather set. The furniture we are replacing is currently in leather with the recliner in fabric with matching fabric throw pillows. I have picked out the leather (medium brown with some texture) and thowing around having all pieces the same leather and color. My husband is wondering about doing the same as we did in the past with just the recliner in fabric. It is a lot of furniture, Sofa, loveseat, chair ottoman and recliner. (and possibly another ottoman.

We also are repainting and replacing the carpet. If we throw in just fabric pillows, is that too much leather? We are not into anything drastic or a statement piece

Comments (63)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I like the console. Have you checked out swivel glider recliners? Don't forget about benches and poufs or stools; under the two windows, at the pony wall or at the angled wall.

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    5 years ago

I love leather couches cause its a neater cleaner look. but I think that any accent chair or ottoman or recliner should be in a different material. fabric is nice microfiber, suede anything other than leather would add dimension and texture to the room. also don't stick with the same color as the couch for the throw pillows do a pop color and something to add color to the room. if you have a large enough space then the amount of furniture in the room is fine.

• Related Discussions

Good quality leather living room furniture for average joe?

Q

Comments (8)
    You really have to sit in the furniture that you are considering purchasing. The cheaper furniture lines will have compromises in either materials or workmanship. There is also a good primer here from drcollie (Furniture 101?) , serch his thread out here. I have read that there are some good furniture manufacturers in south Cal; maybe EliteLeather or ArizonaLeather. Then you could find somewhere in Tx that you could sit in the pieces that you want. What I have read, you might want to consider a protected leather because of your dogs, the better leathers may be too fussy. hth
    ...See More

thoughts on mixing leather in living room

Q

Comments (13)
    nhbasket, very nice room, ottoman fits in there perfectly. My DH also was not happy at first with the ottoman we have downstairs but has definitely grown on him. When we brought it upstairs as a template for the size we need around the sectional, he was anxious to put it back downstairs. The couple of days we had it upstairs, he missed putting his feet up on it. lascatx, love the last one you posted, unfortunately no shipping to Canada, that is part of my problem, but you nailed the look and feel I am looking for, Glass table top but visually heavy looking. The others were too contemporary for me. We do have Ashley furniture here, which I completely forgot about, will check out their tables.
    ...See More

Help mixing leather and fabric Living Room furniture!

Q

Comments (15)
    Just wanted to update since I'm slowly getting my house together. I had added rugs to my living room space. Neutral cotton rug (didn't want so much shedding from jute) with a cowhide layered on top. I'm now trying to incorporate accent colors. I was thinking greys, blues, and browns? The rest of my home has been painted either Hale Navy or Revere Pewter soI'm trying for colors I can mix and match throughout the house. I will be adding tables when I can decide on wood, marble top, or glass. Any suggestions for colors or coffee/ accent tables?
    ...See More

Lighten living room but must have leather

Q

Comments (11)
    Make sure you design the “shiplap” fireplace correctly. You want it to be a separate entity, not a full wall of boards. Just because boards are run horizontally does not make them “shiplap”. https://thecraftsmanblog.com/no-joanna-thats-not-shiplap/ What you choose for a mantel tone could dictate your choice of leather color. Lighter leather and colorful rug would brighten the room. Paint the walls the Edgecomb Gray and the fireplace boards something like Valspar Swiss Coffee.
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I'm not sure about two different leather colors as I don't think I've ever seen it, but I would shy away from that. I like your console. I still hope that you won't use too much leather and that you choose a lighter color. For curtains I would choose simple panels in a heavy fabric in a color that is close to your new wall color. You want the softness without the distraction of a strong color or pattern. Introduce color and pattern with pillows and paintings. Right now everything seems to be one blend into one sludgy color in your living room, and the lighter wall color and window panels will go a long way toward correcting that. I sense that you're afraid of color, but when you look at rooms on Houzz or elsewhere you'll see that color is a very important factor in a beautiful and livable room, even if you only use it in small doses in your pillows and paintings. I would steer away from any wall art that is not pictures because it can so easily look tacky.

novice0 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

I have only skimmed the comments, but wanted to suggest not buying a set, ANY set, of furniture unless you want your room to be boring. I am going to work on your room in a bit because I think you also need a bit of furniture rearranging, but wanted to get this comment in before you pulled the trigger on any purchases.

My preference would be to mix leather with fabric, but if you're going to do all leather, at least let's make it not all be the same. I will study your room and return later with a rendering for you. Your room has great potential; let's see if we can't reach its fullest.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Barbara, do you by chance have a link to the console you've ordered and know the size of the TV?

• tiwall
    5 years ago

I agree with groveraxle about not buying a set. I made that mistake and for now, have to live with it. I purchased a sofa, loveseat, chair and ottoman in a dark brown leather. An entire set! In hindsight, I should have mixed it up, with probably a fabric chair, etc. A friend of mine has a brown leather sofa, white leather chair and a very floral pattern chair and it looks fine.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

That's a beautiful console, barbarabuzz.

Are you thinking of getting this type of sofa?

I could see this brown paired with a cream leather recliner. If you've chosen your Bradington Young models of sofa and recliners, perhaps share them with us and we can give you our thoughts for colours? I don't think I'd go darker than this brown. I like camel leather (bit lighter than this brown) paired with blues and I, like others above, would pair the leather sofas with fabric armchairs or recliners. It's really a personal preference. Just saw a living room with four velvet upholstered pieces in an Elle Decor book. If that can work, why not leather? :) Must be the accessorizing. ;-)

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You guys are awesome! First, the console is a Hooker Console called Solstice. It is a 78 inch console and we used a 65 " inch flat screened tv. I did see it in the store and will attach the picture

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I almost never recommend sectionals, but in this case I'd go for this one, if it fits and I'd put it in the corner between the window and the pony wall.

If you have a wood floor in the kitchen, I'd match it here, then look for a Persian like this Heriz with a bit of blue and then put a couple of blue recliners opposite the sofa. (Sorry I couldn't orient them properly in your room.)

This recliner is also Bradington-Young:

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

OK, skip that blue recliner. Your console is quite modern, so I will look for more appropriate chairs. Back in a bit.

novice0 thanked groveraxle
  • novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ingrid, You would be correct, I am probably afraid of color and just try to stay neutral. I am probably one of those "in the box people". Thanks for your suggestions!

Groveraxle, Tiwall and Tartaneup, we were going to do the dreaded set! LOL! I will attach the link to the set (the recliner would be a different group) We were going to do it in the color of Dorado Toast 907200-84. We do like the BY furniture and would prefer to stick with the brand. I am not super thrilled with the fabric selections at BY. They are kindof blah which is why in my mind, trying to dress it up with wallhangings and fabric pillows would help a bit. We also were planning on different end tables.

Here is the recliner which is from the Horizon Series which is

https://www.bradington-young.com/horizon-chair-full-recline-articulating-hr/903-35-1746/iteminformation.aspx

and the set would be the Young Roe

https://www.bradington-young.com/iteminformation.aspx?sku=611-95&catalog=1746

Here is the current situation LOL.

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Groveraxle, that is pretty awesome! My husband will not spring for hard wood, although I love what that looks like with the persian. I was looking at the picture thinking, wow! That is very cool how you did that. We have noticed though that the area that is currently our loveseat is very close to the TV which is why we didn't think of a sectional and the opposite wall which we currently have the sofa would be very bare? I hate to say it but our time in the living room is all about the stinking TV. I will look up the measurements of what you posted and measure that wall. Thanks!

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

The Young Roe sofa is gorgeous (must admit I find the legs a bit meh). You were going for the sofa in black and the Horizon recliner in Dorado Toast?

Found all the leather colours. Can't say I'm fan of Dorado Toast. Don't think it will sing next to black. I'll have a look around their site and check out their colours and performance fabrics. I do like the styling of quite a few of their pieces. The leather looks supple and incredibly comfortable.

ETA: Dorado Toast

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

My family room is all about the TV too, barbara. No shame. Life is short; let's be comfortable! :D

novice0 thanked tartanmeup
  • novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tartannmeup, no black, I was going to go with the Dorado toast for all (the sofa, loveseat, chair and Ottoman but was thinking of the Recliner (the Horizons) in fabric or a different color leather. My second thought was to do two recliners in a different leather and eliminate the chair and ottoman and instead do a cocktail ottoman in front of the sofa. I can get a turned leg for all of them. The colors on line look different compared to when I had the samples here in person. I did find one that looks like the leather we currently have and the 917200-87 (Applause coconut) looks like ours now, so I was trying to go for lighter

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, no...I don't think that would be your best option. :)

Grover's idea of a sectional has merit. It really depends on how you use your seating. Which seats are occupied the most, etc. I'm sure you've contemplated a few options already. Lately, I've come across the comment that loveseats aren't often used by two people at the same time. Is this your experience with yours?

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tartanmeup, thanks for posting that color, as you can see I don't know how to post photos yet from a website. I will say that I did see that sample and brought it home, and there is a two tone depth to that color is person. It appears very blah on the website

• er612
    5 years ago

I would hang a pair of floor to ceiling curtain panels on each window. Example

Can the TV go on the wall to the right of the fireplace?

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tartanmeup, the sectional does has merit! I actually really liked the way it looked! My concern with it is the TV viewing from the side and the fact that if we move, it may not work in the new place. We did price out the Newman recliner set at BY and the price was pretty out there. Honestly we are probably all split up when we are together, one likes the recliner, dad sprawls out on the sofa and our college boy and his gf like the loveseat. It does get used as a double on the holidays. Other than that the loveseat gets used by my daughter to watch tv with her legs hanging over the armrest. We are pretty hard on our furniture as you can see from our current pictures but we really do enjoy leather.

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

groveraxle, thanks so much! Do you think the console is just too modern? We just liked how it has a floating look to it. You are pretty awesome with what you do!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I don't think the console is too modern. It's just that the first recliner I chose (the blue one) was totally incongruous with it. The Horizon recliner is better, but still a tiny bit clunky. I think you'll be able to meld it all though.

Honestly, one of the reasons I chose that sectional is because its styling seemed to fit better with the console than any of the other sofas I saw.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Grover, what about the sofa I posted upthread? I think it's the Young Kane. How would that look with the console?

Barbarabuzz, your concerns with the sectional are valid. They don't fit everywhere and just don't offer as much seating as expected for most families.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Barbara, you can still have an area rug over your carpeting; it adds color and life to the room. The one here is an Oriental tribal Gabbeh from esale.rugs. It's polypropylene, inexpensive and you can clean it and hose it off outside when it gets dirty.

novice0 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I am totally into the rug! I think it adds needed color!

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tartanmeup, we looked at that the Young Kane! Liked it! But it is shorter, by 10 inches for some reason..I would rather not have the rolled arms but everyone in the house (except for me) leans on them :)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

This will probably be too much for you, but since you chose such a modern TV console, I'd urge your to update lamps and tables as well. To that end, I've thrown in a red recliner, a modern tripod lamp, and a piece of modern art.

Some small things I've done: repainted all walls the same in a warm neutral that goes better with the paint in the kitchen and painted the HVAC registers to match. (Whatever color you choose, please paint the registers.)

And just in case Hubby has a change of heart, I show the room with wood as well as carpet.

• fissfiss
    5 years ago
    We have a ski house with a couch and two chairs in matching leather...yes, function, leather stands up to wear. The chairs each have an ottoman, with the bottom half leather to match, but the top cushion is a good, sturdy tapestry fabric....breaks up the navy sea. And I would put a patterned rug over the carpet...hides oopsies with the snacks and saves the carpet...that’s the argument for the practical spouse.
  • J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grover, thanks so much! I totally understand about painting the register and will do! I actually love the colors in the carpet and the picture! The bold color on the chair may be my only mental hangup,

What are your thoughts on a low pile carpet and placing the rug on top? Did you use the Houzz app for this? I was trying to figure out how you were doing the pictures! Love it! What are your thoughts on doing a cocktail ottoman in front of the sofa instead of the ottoman in front of the stationary chair and making it 2 matching recliners and those could be a different color? You have been sooo helpful and helping me to get outside of my box! I did find a few end table, I will try and post

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The above table isn't ideal, I was just trying to go with with the metal stand look of the console

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

fissfiss, Thanks! Do you happen to have a picture to post?

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Were you planning on replacing your current end tables, barbara? What struck me about the one you linked to is the bottom shelf doesn't look easy to access and that would frustrate me as a missed storage opportunity.

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, we were planning on replacing everything. We really don't need lamps because of the overhead lighting but probably should have as a decorative piece. But yes, we want to replace the end tables. I am with you on the easy to access! We actually use the bottom shelf on what we have often. The sconces on the wall we could get rid of as well but the drywall would have to be replaced, which you know who may squawk about

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I have a rendering for you Barbara and have tried to upload it three times with no success. Will try again later.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

A few end tables and a recliner to consider:

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I wouldn't get rid of the sconces. I mean, why? You could replace them with something sleeker, if you wished. Really depends on budget, etc. I know someone around here squawks when my let's change the flooring becomes we might as well paint first and what about those blinds....so I hear you on the squawking. :) Decorating changes have the propensity to become room overhauls.

I like Grover's rendition above. If you're thinking of adding lamps, a floor lamp might be a good idea. For the end tables, I was thinking glass because I love how it looks visually lighter than other options. Would glass be a good option for your family? What don't you like about your current tables?

To my eye, your console is contemporary, not overly modern, and I could see it alongside more traditional elements in the room. Have you collected any inspiration photos to get a clearer idea of how you want your room to look?

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grover, I really like your latest rendition as well! Thank you so much for taking the time to work on that! I look and that and think how drab it all has been!

Tratanmeup, For some reason I cannot see the photo on the end table you posted on my computer but I can see it on my cell phone. Who makes the piece? We are fine with with glass at this stage in the game.

I have collected an enormous amount of inspiration and the photos were a tremendous help! I am ready to get going! Thanks all!

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Guys! I am back! I am ordering the furniture this week and am going to do my best to go for it but I may chicken out with the bold color on the recliner. If I do chicken out it, will be either lighter or darker brown than the rest of the leather. My next question is groveraxle was so kind to make those renditions with the red accents and blue accents. What are you all seeing more of... brown furniture with blue, brown, and gold accents in pictures and pillows or more brown furniture, with red, copper, gold. I am leaning more towards adding blue. I am afraid of color as you can see from this post and was thinking gray and all forms of brown and beige but I am trying to think outside the box with your help! So with beige wall, curtains and floor, which color scheme do you like best with the brown leather , beige walls and accent chair? The red or blue? thanks!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Hi, Barbara. As you can tell from my last rendering, I would favor blue. However, I suggest waiting till the furniture arrives and you can see it in the room before making any final decisions. Even you said that rendering made you see your current room as drab. You don't have to go overboard on color, and it doesn't have to be saturated, but a few drops of muted blue or teal will give just enough spark to keep you out of the drab, depressing zone.

• novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Grover !!

When you mentioned hints of color , would the wall decor be primarily in the blue like this ?
  • novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Or more like this ?
  • novice0
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like these pillows that maybe pull in some brown as well. Hoping I am getting the idea on adding color. I will wait until the furniture comes in though
  • tiwall
    5 years ago

Can't wait to see it! I actually incorporated blues, gold and red into my living space. This is not a great picture, but it can give you an idea of how a little color will bring the room alive and not make it seem so heavy with the brown leather furniture.

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

Blue always looks good with brown, go for it.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Barbara, when I put together a room, I work on art, rug, and accessories all at the same time. Generally I start with the art because that will be the most individualistic piece, then use that to inform the rug and accessories, maybe even chairs or ottomans. That way I know they all work together before I commit.

You can do this yourself with an inspiration board, or in an ideabook. Start saving blue/brown/gold art, rugs, pillows, and throws you like. From those, we should be able to pull together a cohesive look.

• Itza Gonzalez
    5 years ago

This thread has been SUPER helpful - I have a similar issue!

• User
    5 years ago

you are guys, great and helpful... but now I am so frustrated as I got set of leather furniture: loveseat, chair and couch... afraid to ask my husband to return a loveseat;)