SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moneymm

Ideas for Wall opening next to Arch Wall Opening

moneymm
5 years ago

any ideas for this? I am looking into the removal of this 12" post. And still debating how to layout the kitchen, (maybe removing the peninsula. Either way we are going to have to deal with the arches in the area as it leaves this square opening odd looking.

make it one big arch? square off the other 2 arches?

maybe something out of the box?

Comments (28)

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

Is the 12"post a load bearing post? If so it can be done but is a larger project. What is your budget here? Squaring off the arch to match the other space is a good idea.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

How many other arched openings are there? I would pick squared or arched...think squared is more on trend now.....and stick with one profile for all the openings in the first floor.

• PRO
    R.D. London Studios
    5 years ago

If possible remove the post and other wall part all the way to the ceiling. I like the other arch as it works with the windows and style .As for the kitchen I need some more photos at different angles to see what you have and where to go. Best wishes!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

That will be an expensive job as I am 100% sure that is loadbearing.If you do remove the post and have this giant opening to make that a curved arch the opening would have to be much smaller and lower and IMO not that nice looking I would square off the rest and just leave the windows arched.

• moneymm
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not sure if it can come out yet. As per the plans it doesn’t look bearing. But won’t know till open up sheet rock. The only arched openings in the house are the two you see in the picture. One is a 10 foot opening between dining and family room. One is the 5 foot opening u see to the left.

There are 2 arched windows in family room and 2 in dining room.

If I can’t remove the post, would three arches next to each other look nice? Or too overwhelming?
  • moneymm
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Looks pretty nice here with 3 in a row.
  • moneymm
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You are right it’s 100% bearing when double checking the plans. So it’s very likely staying.
  • kim k
    5 years ago
    It’s hard to tell from this photo - Are the arches only where the foyer meets the other rooms in the house? Perhaps that was a way to delineate between the entry and other rooms in your home. I’d leave them if that’s the case. Maybe play with painting walls in the foyer a different color to further separate it visually from the rest of your home.
  • tfitz1006
    5 years ago

I'm not a big fan of open plan so I'd probably close up that gigantic pass-thru so I could put a hutch or something on that wall in what I assume is the dining room. The arches don't bother me, they echo the windows.

• Nidnay
    5 years ago

If you look at your inspiration pic, one of main things that makes it attractive is the thickness of the arched wall .... makes a huge difference. Your walls look thin and spindly. If you can’t open things up, I would actually make the walls thicker and more substantial (arched or squared).

• moneymm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

some bad photo shop skills, but her is the 3 openings arches next to each other, which is what i am leaning towards.... thoughts?

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

That's a terribly formal dining room to have a casual pass-through/bar. Close up that wall so you can have a china cabinet or buffet and art there. I think I would look into reducing the size of all the openings so they are about the same as the windows and are arched like them. It seems strange that the French door openings in the two rooms are not the same up top. It all looks quite jumbled as is.

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

I think you’re putting the cart before the horse in trying to decide finish details before you figure out what you’re doing with the kitchen layout. You have three different threads going in three different directions. You need to make a priority list of what you want to accomplish within your budget. If changing the kitchen is definitely happening as you indicated in your first thread then start there since the size of your range and dealing with this wall depends on the layout changes.

• moneymm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i can chew gum and walk at the same time. i want to price out everything that i am likely or maybe will do.

wether the hall wall stays or goes i still have both these openings to deal with.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Wether or not you can chew gum and walk you still need to prioritize the issues you need to deal with.Those arches you photo shopped will look awful in real life since they do not have the same shape.Your walls are no where near as thick as the inspiration pic so not really transferable to your situation.

• moneymm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

4 1/2" thick. ill find better inspiration picks, why does the wall thickness matter so much?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

Oh boy,

Lets just go back to your old post here. Notice how you are getting the same replies.

1. cart before the horse

2. are they load bearing

3. your walls need to go away not add more arches and doorways

4. that pass through is wasted and needs to go.

5. posting multiple threads will not lead to a different outcome, we all see the posts and even the new people are sharing the same opinion.

You have two openings leading to the same room. GET RID OF ALL OF THEM and put in a load bearing beam and one support.

• moneymm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

lol.

the post is load bearing, i clarified earlier. every wall with arches is load bearing.

I guess i see your point if we remove the half wall, you would now how two openings to the same room which would be silly. but as of now your saying theres too many openings?

one is to family room, one is to dining room, those ok?

and one is between the dining room and family room, its open concept, its a 10 foot wide opening that allows light and socialization and openness. I think if 20 designers went in there, i dont think 1 would say to close off that wall.

I did have a designer in by the way, she did not say anything about closing off that wall. said the overall layout and flow is fantastic in the house.

anyway i am just looking for ideas on the 3 wall openings for now, which is what I will likely have.

assuming i dont remove the half wall, and remove the post, which i agree with now, if i do open the wall, the post or 2nd opening to dining room has got to go.

• moneymm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

The arches are nice but I prefer a really nice trimmed opening

• moneymm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yes with that post and bearing wall pantry, you are right it really does take a 27'x17 room and make it hard to use. I am meeting sunday with contractor. hopefully he can shed some more light on what it would take to remove one of these obstacles.

• Bev Lambert
    5 years ago
    I'm liking the second and 3rd pictures you posted
    you could drop the peninsula counter area to counter height and make that support upright part of the counter area.
    go with opening the arches as big as you can go. if you want to get rid of an arch concider putting big open shelving and display items you love. trimming out the arches will beef them up a little and look intentional. Do the layout in the kitchen so that it's convenient for your cooking habits. if you've been in the kitchen any amount of time, you know what works and what you would change. good luck, happy remodeling and post some update after photos.
  • PRO
    R.D. London Studios
    5 years ago

Since you have a designer and I assume you are happy (if not find a new one) live in person I would revisit this arch issue and discuss with her/him. Best wishes!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago
    You missed my point entirely lol. Not once did I say close anything up. I said it looks dorky to have the dividing wall from the dine/liv room poking into the two openings to the kitchen. Structurally remove the wall between the dining and living extend the island and make one entry
  • biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    5 years ago

Since you now know that post is load bearing, why not close the SMALLER of the two openings to the dining room and fully open the larger one, giving you a nice open flow between kitchen and dining? You could also extend your island down toward the Butler's pantry, making better use of all that (currently wasted) space.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

Awww that just made the spaces, make sense.