SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olson2334

Considering building home questions

A O
5 years ago

Hello,

My wife and I live in North Dakota and are looking to build a home in a small community. Unfortunately the community does not have much as far as land that is reasonable and open or existing homes.

We have went after what open land is there but none of the owners are willing to sell or if they are the price is far to expensive.

We are in a bit of a time crunch only that we want our kids to start the school year in this community to make this transition easier in addition, we are told the best time to try and list to sell is starting in March/early April.

There is a home that based on the look seems to be one you might tear down. The price of the home and smaller lot 78x150, is about the going rate for lots in the past year that I have found or a little high. High i believe because of the structure. I will hopefully get some mls info on it today

Opinions/Questions:

1. We have thought to buy this and possibly tear it down and put a temporary home up on this location. Temporary as we would like to find a larger lot than this. This would get our kids in to the school system and get them used to this. One concern I have is the home was built in 1910. Maybe asbestos and why it is so reasonable? Outside of a test would the owner have to note that?

2. If the above was a good idea and since this would be temporary. What are peoples thoughts on kit homes lets say from Menards or something for example? Do they end up being more reasonable and still well done?

3. Would it be possible to build something around 1800sq ft (main and top floor total) with a 2 stall garage for 150,000? I am handy and have finished basements to existing structures doing all the work except for carpeting if that matters. The potential exists to possibly do some of these things to aid in bring the price down is why i mention it.

4. What layouts and designs are most reasonable to build and attractive to turn around and sell? I did ask one builder here if slab on grade is cheaper and he said it isn't that much more in ND to put in a full basement since they need to be below the frost line anyway for the footings so they have to go deep.

Appreciate any input. Thanks

Comments (10)