Coffee flavoured olive oil?

bleusblue2

My friend gave me a bottle of Coffee flavoured olive oil at Christmas. I still can't figure out what to use it for. I tried it on feta cheese but it doesn't work. She's asked me if I tried it but she doesn't give me any suggestions either. I have a feeling that if it were in her kitchen she'd have come up with something by now. Any ideas?

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Is she pranking you? I'm sure it's edible, but I've only heard of it being used as a skin treatment or ingredient in natural cosmetics.

Save    
maifleur01

Only thing that would come to mind is use in a fruit salad or in a mole type sauce. The coffee would probably only appear as a scent rather than as a flavor if used in anything that you would normally use olive oil in/on.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Use it in this recipe for smoky espresso rubbed pork tenderloin

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pork-tenderloin-smoky-espresso

Save    
Lars

I would expect it to be used in baking. I've seen cakes being made with olive oil, and here's a recipe for one with coffee olive oil.

Save    
chloebud

I was thinking the same as Lars since olive oil is sometimes used in baking. That being said, olive oil infused with coffee just doesn't sound appealing no matter what you do with it. :-/

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

It doesn't sound appealing to me either. This would have been an instant return (if the source was known) or toss out. For me, coffee belongs in a drinking cup or mug, nowhere else.

A mischievous thought - maybe your friend got it as a gift, couldn't figure out what to do with it, and decided to pass it along to you, hoping you'd have more success in dealing with it than she did?

1 Like Save    
agmss15

Maybe these? With a little dribble of dark chocolate on top. Not traditional but might be yummy.

https://leitesculinaria.com/94627/recipes-spanish-olive-oil-tortas-de-aceite.html

Save    
adellabedella_usa

I would try it in brownies. Would it work in bulletproof coffee?

Save    
John Liu

Coffee can be used very successfully in cooking. The dishes I'm familiar with are meaty ones like ribs, chili, Q, etc. Those don't tend to use much olive oil, though. Still, the next time you're, say, oiling some meat prior to roasting or searing, might as well try this stuff. It would be good to find a use for it, as it sounds like one of those things that otherwise could sit in your pantry until it's old enough to drive.

3 Likes Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Coffee rubs are wonderful with beef.

Save    
wintercat_gw

I had to look up bullet proof coffee. Butter would work for me but olive oil in my coffee? I shudder at the thought.

What rhizo and John said - some beef recipe might work.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

It does seem a bit weird. Chili for sure - the meaty kind. And I often bake with olive oil - it might do well in a chocolate cake.

I imagine someone stumped for a gift, coming across such an unusual item - maybe on special - and buying it on a whim. Isn't that often the way with a lot of "white elephant" gifts?

Save    
artemis_ma

I would probably try it with beef, but not with a higher grade cut. It might work... try on a small portion.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

sounds 1,000 times better than the chocolate cheese ravioli ... *grin*

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Urban Gardens Extreme Herb Gardening for Extreme Flavor
Fresh herbs grown at home are the secret to sumptuous meals for you and your guests
Full Story
Farm Your Yard Dry Your Herbs and Enjoy the Flavor of Summer All Year
Make fall and winter meals even better by preserving your backyard herb harvest now. Here's your step-by-step guide
Full Story
Edible Gardens Herb Garden Essentials: Versatile Cilantro Adds Flavor to Herb Gardens
Love it or hate it, this cool-season herb contributes its unique flavor to any number or the world’s cuisines
Full Story