SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aglitter

Going Crazy Over Polar Opposite Soapstone Reviews

Aglitter
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Just venting here, but how many of you who are trying to decide on countertops are going crazy after reading hundreds if not thousands of reviews here at Houzz about soapstone? Maybe half the users say it is by far the best countertop and the other are "regretters" who absolutely hate it.

• The scratches, dings, gouges are either patina that is "hardly noticeable and I love my countertops" or are a constant process of damage and "I hate this expensive mistake I made."
  • More people are disgruntled with the softer varieties of soapstone due to easy damage, but even people with harder varieties like Stormy Black, Original PA, Julia and Belvedere still often complain of problems with scratches and that oil or wax won't soak in so that the denser varieties can never be made to look rich and dark.
  • Reviewers try to describe to me if I'm the "kind of person who will like soapstone" when each individual is so complex, and what they value isn't so easily laid out by someone unfamiliar with the complexities of what goes in to a big decision like this. Of course I appreciate their attempts nonetheless.
  • In the same thread, someone will tell you that they are ripping out their soapstone and shopping for granite while another person says they have had both soapstone and granite and would never go back to granite!
  • That soapstone is more expensive than granite seems to be the only element that is non-controversial as to the decision process.

Is there any other remodeling decision that presents this diverse of views? Usually evidence points a certain direction. I'm going crazy pulled between diametrically opposing views on this subject: is soapstone the best countertop or the worst?

Comments (77)