SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveswindowsanddogs_gw

Advice needed for high quality exterior paint, which one and more...

It's time to paint some of the exterior of my 90+ year old home. I live in the humid south where mildew is a big problem. The ceiling of my screened porch was painted with a latex paint when it was built about 10 -12 years ago and becomes a mildewed nasty mess within a few months of power washing. It, along with the windows and doors are due for painting. Given the age, I know that the original wooden windows, doors and trim were painted with an oil-base paint. There are some newer additions and remodeled areas which may have been painted with exterior latex. IMHO, it makes no sense to scrimp on the quality of paint given the cost of labor and the need for great prep work! So, please, send your suggestions.

Here are my questions:

Which brand of OIL-BASE exterior paint is the most durable and mildew resistant? Does the sheen matter for mildew resistance? If so, which is best?

Which brand of LATEX exterior paint is the most durable and mildew resistant? Does the sheen matter for mildew resistance? If so, which is best?

Considering oil-base and latex paint, which one is more mildew resistant? Or is it a matter of the quality of the paint and/or the sheen?

Is there an additive for mildew resistance that will really make a difference? Or is it even necessary when a high quality paint is used?

The painting contractor's bid quoted prices based upon using Pittsburg or Sherwin-Williams. There is also a Benjamin Moore store close by; he will use that brand, but with an upcharge.

I want to use oil-base paints on the original portions of the home, but am undecided about the other areas. Bottom line, I want an end result that will hold up well, not mildewing, cracking or peeling for quite some time.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks so much!

loveswindowsanddogs

Comments (6)