SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

A day in New York City

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've never been to NYC before, but will be there on business in early spring (so probably still cold there), and am considering adding an extra day to glimpse a small bit of the city, as I've no idea if or when I'll have an opportunity to get back there. I will stay at the Four Seasons in midtown Manhattan while on business, but must move to a (much) lower-priced accommodation if I add another night - when it comes out of my own pocket. Looks like I have some options for decent but affordable hotels (<$200, and I'm not terribly picky if it's for only one night) that are not too far away.

I know an extra day doesn't allow me nearly enough time, but I'm starting to think it's perhaps better than simply getting on the plane and heading home following my meetings. Having never seen anything in the city, what would you recommend that I do? Should I look at short tours or organize something on my own? Is it enough to just stroll the streets, or is that a ridiculous idea - particularly not knowing what the weather might be doing? One thing did catch my eye, and that's the National Museum of the American Indian -- I'm sure that's something I'd enjoy seeing. I know nothing about getting around the area, except that it's congested and I'm sure taxis are not cheap. Hypothetically, let's say I had from around 10:00am on a weekday until noon or so the following weekday to see some sights. (This also begs the question of what to do with my luggage on my second day; not sure a more "affordable" hotel would hold it for me.)

Any recommendations?

Comments (60)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

I'll add that if you are considering going to Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, then reserve your tickets early.

User thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • Funkyart
    5 years ago

A few thoughts..

I find the best way to experience NYC is by being immersed in the city-- i.e. walking. It is very walkable even in spring.. even in winter (with the exception of the harshest days).

I actually don't find cabs to be that expensive in NYC-- they're cheaper than they are here and in Phila. Personally, I don't like the subway so I rarely use it.

I'd not likely recommend a general tour-- but that's not really my jam. I have taken a few foodie walking tours and they were exceptional.

What are your interests? Theater? Art? Shopping?

My choice would be the Met -- you can't experience the whole Met in a day so choose a few sections you are interested in and focus on those. The museum is on the upper east side and borders on Central Park. You could go from here to the theater district with a reasonably short cab ride.

The National American Indian Museum is the whole other end of the island very close to Battery Park. You could do Ellis Island if you wanted but from what I've read this museum also takes a good part of a day. I do hear great things about the National Museum of Immigration.

User thanked Funkyart
  • Related Discussions

Mid-Atlantic/ New York City 5 Degrees Few Hours this morning

Q

Comments (24)
    I noticed that my Trachys (while still not looking great), ARE looking much better than just a few days ago. So, don't panic if your Trachys are showing signs of discoloration or those characteristic rings. Some of the leaves will return to normal, and as long as the bud is firm, they should be good to go for the growing season. I finally broke down after those predictions of 0 F and ended up providing some protection (regular, small X-mas light, bubble wrap, and an relatively light weight (insulating blanket) I picked up at the nursery. I used the blanket more as a scarf draped around the midsection (including the growing bud but leaving the leaves at the top and the base of the palms exposed. I tugged gently at them today and they seem very firm. Careful, for those of you that are protecting with lights. I was surprised at how efficient this little set up was. The air inside the bubble wrap felt very mild (not hot, not too warm, but relatively mild). I opened it up a bit as I don't want to encourage growth at this point. TZ, it would take a monsoon to quickly melt all the snow I have in my yard. I would go out with a yard stick to measure it, but I would have to climb the glacier that borders by driveway area (it was built with all the snow accumulations we've had. I got sick of shoveling and ran out of space for the snow so now my &quot;blacktop&quot; is covered in a few inches of snow. I really am expecting another big time weather 'event' from this latest storm.--And though I am sick of the snow, I like it much better than the arctic cold. I certainly hope Feb. is milder, but expect it to be just as stormy--along with that other notoriously stormy month--MARCH!!
    ...See More

60 Degrees expected in New York City/ East Coast Stunningly Warme

Q

Comments (22)
    Hello Everyone, I think we hit 70 here yesterday, but of course i was out working in the northeast. Newark!!! It was nice there, but i wish i was here in Vb to have this wonderful warmth!! How have you all been? I feel like it has been a long time since i have seen you all... Hey Greg, How are you!!! I have a request from a friend to post a pic of those huge Ponderosa Lemons again. The ones that your wife were holding and we were laughing about how many lemon bars you all could make? Could you possibly find that one for me? Thanks!!! Miss you too! Hey Jim, How are you doing? Weather alright? How are you protected gardens? Alex, So nice to see you too! How are your trees? Plumeria? V, They ae ready whenever you want to come down. I can always cut and put into large bags.... let me know!!! Brian, i miss taking to you...i sent a few emails to your old account and it was alot of info...we need to just sit down or pick up the phone..to much stuff happening now.. but please email me so we can keep in touch..i miss you!!! Hey Chad!! How are you? Lots of things going on here in VB.. Remember some of you all knew that my daughter had to have a Open Heart Surgery to have her Aoratic Valve replaced. That went well...but they gave her 5 years to have kids before she had to undergo another Open heart OP to have a mech valve out in. So...guess what? After 6 mts of trying and the doc saing to wait until 6 mts..she is going to have a little one...Yikes..imm going to be a granny...gheesh..did i say that. ,lol It will be wonderful, but very scary!! Any helpful advise will be greatly appreciated!!! Sorry i have been MIA...i have been soooo busy!!! work, family issues... Thanks for the emails form you all! I certainly appreciated them!!! Mahalo, Laura Everyone doing well?
    ...See More

For bakers in San Francisco, New York City & Salt Lake City

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd LOOOOOVE to join one in Chicago. Sounds really interesting.
    ...See More

New York City in mid May....what shall I do ?

Q

Comments (58)
    As a perpetual tourist (I live here), here's my take: 1) STATUE OF LIBERTY. This is an all day trip. Go early. Book your tickets ahead of time on the Internet. Pack a lunch. The kind of food they sell on the island is the kind that gets you sick on the ferry going back. You can go to the highest point, the crown, if you go on the first boat of the day. But it's not worth it (tiny little room, tiny windows, crappy view, horrific climb up corkscrew stairs to get there). The rest of the day, you'll go to the base, which has a great view. There is also a fantastic museum IN the Statue. You can buy combo tickets for the Statue and Ellis Island, but even if you whiz through the Statue, you will end up with about an hour to spend on Ellis Island--if you are really interested in Ellis Island, think about making it a separate trip. 2) I third the STATEN ISLAND FERRY. Here's what I usually do with my guests. Find out when sunset is (check the paper's weather page or the Internet). Make sure that you are in the waiting room for the Staten Island Ferry 15 minutes before that time. Get on the ferry. Watch the sunset of the Statue of Liberty. When you get to Staten Island, get off the ferry and get on the next one going to Manhattan. If you are in the front of the boat, facing Manhattan, you will get a postcard view of downtown Manhattan all lit up. Did I mention that this trip is FREE??? As I think of more, I'll post more.
    ...See More
  • maddielee
    5 years ago

For a first timer with little time, I would skip the museums (unless the weather is awful). There’s too much to do and see while in the city. I agree a hop on bus makes getting around to the regular tourist sites easy.

Make a list of what you would really like to see. Freedom tower? (Make your reservation early.) Statue of Liberty? Top of the Rock? St. Patrick’s? Rockefeller Center Ice Rink? Strawberry Fields and Bethesda Fountain in Central Park? Times Square?

So many places, so little time.

User thanked maddielee
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

Chelsea Market/High Line?

If the weather is good, a boat tour around the island with an AIA docent doing commentary on the architecture.

http://chelseamarket.com/

https://www.thehighline.org/

https://www.aiany.org/architecture/tours/boat-tours/

User thanked sushipup1
  • bpath
    5 years ago

I spent a lovely two days in New York last November.

One day I spent at the Moma. It was quite cool . . . They have Starry Night! And my husband took me on his "Elf" tour lol: Macy's (skip it) Empire State Building lobby (see it), Rockefeller Center (go early for plaza time on Today Show, carry a "Hi, GW" sign!), the skating rink (we had lunch underground watching the skaters), even a cup of coffee (probably not the World's Greatest Cup of Coffee though).

The next day was fun, I was on my own most of the day. I started at the Met. Throughout the day, docents lead free "highlights" tours, lasting about an hour. Each docent chooses their own highlights so it's different every time, but I enjoyed my tour very much. Also browsed around, of course. And had lunch in their cafe overlooking Central Park.

Then I walked up (down?) the avenue along Central Park to Radio City Music Hall for the matinee Christmas Spectacular. It's pretty far but a lovely walk. If I'd had more time I'd have walked through the park, I've always been fascinated with the park. I could probably spend a whole visit to NYC just in the park.

DH met me after the show and he just had to take me to Trump Tower and ride the escalator. He likes those "experiential" type tours lol.

Have a great time! Enjoy the National Museum of the American Indian...I'll bet you come home with something from the gift store.

User thanked bpath
  • nosoccermom
    5 years ago

For hotels, check out hotwire, priceline (express deal), and lastminutetravel (if you sign up, you can see the "secret" hotels).

User thanked nosoccermom
  • grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

I very easily take the tube in London. I abhor taking the subway alone in NYC. Walk.

User thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Nidnay
    5 years ago

6 - Misc · More Info

And if you have time, stop in at Carnegie Deli and have a little sandwich.

User thanked Nidnay
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

The original Carnegie Deli closed, but someone new reopened it. Have no idea if it's the same food/experience.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2017/11/09/carnegie-deli-coming-back-for-seconds-thanks-to.html

User thanked sushipup1
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    5 years ago

I've done a ton of extra nights and evening outings in NYC while on business. If I'm not walking, I almost always take the subway. I'm always aware, but never have been uncomfortable taking it between midtown and downtown. I've been way more uncomfortable above ground during the day on BART in San Francisco.

You can walk all over and I love that I can log an easy six miles just wandering (okay - I walk fast) around the city at night. Keep in mind that, especially in decent weather, folks are out and about late. So I often walk around alone until 10-ish, when I turn into a pumpkin and need to go to bed.

I'm a Marriott person and often find a pretty decent rate at the Renaissance 57 - https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycbr-renaissance-new-york-hotel-57/ - which is closer to the park if you want to go to the museums.

I sew and love to shop, so I often take myself down to touch fabrics around the fabric district and dig for deals on clothing in the racks downtown at Century 21 in the designer section. You gotta be serious about deal shopping to set foot in that place! I've been to MOMA - doable in a few hours - for a couple specific exhibits including Frank Lloyd Wright and Matisse Paper cuttings. I often find that some city museums are open late hours certain days of the week and enjoy them when I'm traveling alone.

I also love walking through the park, getting out super early on in the morning an looking up at the architecture while I don't have to look out for other people. Checking out the library/Bryant park. Did I say walking?

For one day, I say don't box yourself in. Just enjoy the city and see a couple things along the way.

Here are some restaurants I love:

1. Buvette 42 Grove Street - in the Village - I sit at the bar and eat beef tartare and a glass of wine. Tiny place - one of my favorite and the area is wonderful to wander. My husband is jealous every time I text him a photo from there.

2. The Smith 1150 Broadway - closer to Herald Square, but south a few blocks. Bigger, louder - but I met a friend there and we enjoyed it.

3. Demarchelier 50 East 86th Street - if you're inclined to do a big museum day. Nice French place. Lots of French being spoken there.

So when are we going? ; )

User thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I find Manhattan to be a walker's city. I'm like 1929Spanish in that respect, I walk for miles and miles. (And the city is set up like a grid so I don't get lost!) Just admiring the architecture, checking out stores and boutiques (didn't buy much last time but it's nice to see so much new-to-me). Decades ago, I took in a play and I wish I could have repeated that experience during my most recent visit. I visited a friend over a weekend last time and we ate very well but it was also very pricey. Alone, I would have stuck with simpler fare. Oh, but I do love that city. Hope you enjoy it as well. :)

User thanked tartanmeup
  • nutsaboutplants
    5 years ago

Haven’t read the comments above. So apologize for any repeats. My top picks would be MOMA and Central Park, followed by any number of attractions like Times Square, Empire State Building, 9/11 memorial, battery park, little Italy but of course there is a lot to see and do. So you won’t be disappointed regardless of what you pick.

User thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    5 years ago

Moma and a great restaurant. Maybe 2 or 3!

User thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • bpath
    5 years ago

My DH took me to Times Square once. I lasted about 8 seconds and said "get me outta here". The visual overload was enormous.

One thing I loved about the Moma and the Met was the parents and caregivers there with small children. What a great place to spend quiet time with a child. Reminds me of a museum in Milwaukee. A woman donated her art collection from her home, in fact she donated her living room, furniture and all, with it. She would come to sit there and visit her art, go through her mail, etc. Love that.

User thanked bpath
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    5 years ago

If you go to Moma, walk, don't pause at every piece of art! Make sure you see the impressionists and the armor, my fav's.

User thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

OMG, Ida, when is it? Id be happy to show you around if
    you’d like. As for hotels, we are a little over an hour away w/o traffic, but even so we often stay in the city. Hotel prices can vary all over the place. Off season

and esp. Sun-Thursday you can get great deals, esp. if it is still chilly. I have often stayed at the Sofitel since it
    is well located mid-town (though not particularly charming). Their rack rate is like $600 a night but I’ve
    gotten it for $200ish on several occasions. The Four Seasons is a nice place to
    start but you are right not great value, tho wonderful views (and meeting
    facilities), a bit too modern and cold for my tastes.

The last few times I either had to go last minute and or was
    with someone price sensitive. I have
    tried a few places that are pretty bare bones (think cleverly designed dorm
    room, but all new, spotless, a Q bed and a bit of hipster style). Most
    recently, Dream Downtown. Before that, Pod Times Square. Heard good things about Yotel, too. These were all really fun places if you
    didn’t need a lot of space and didn’t mind being the only one over 40, LOL. A
    little pricier, the Ludlow and the Standard and the Refinery are places I have stayed in the last year or two as well.
    Look for deals as the room prices are about as variable as airlines
    seats, and do keep in mind that hotel tax is very very high. Airbnb is good but for very short stays the
    cleaning and service fees make it uneconomic IMHO.

part 1 of 2

User thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

part 2 of 2

Call me a tourist, but if you have never been to NYC before, unless it is a yucky day, I like hop on hop off buses to help me get a lay of the land and see the most important things. Perhaps also a circle line cruise, esp at night (but not w food). I’d research to decide what would most tickle your fancy, but my favorites are MOMA, the Met, the Whitney (if you have a fave work of art or artist, that might drive your choice), Ellis Island, Central Park, and Broadway to see a show (TKtS), Rockefeller center, stroll the Highline (if it is truly spring at that point), walk the Bklyn bridge. Walk around Greenwich village. I also love Grand Central Station.

Taxis are not bad, I do not recommend Uber within Manhattan tho. I always order one and then they keep switching cars and times on me, while i watch taxis whiz by. Good for airport rides tho.

PS Every hotel will hold luggage IME. I do not feel the subways are the slightest but unsafe, but they are pretty darn ugly most of the way. Buvette is cute as a button. Tiny tiny tiny and make sure you go at an offtime to avoid lines. A zillion good places to eat once you narrow and area and cuisine.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am truly overwhelmed by the generous help provided here! Thank you so very much. I have been checking hotel sites this evening, after DH agreed it would be foolish of me not to stay over and at least see a few things! I am truly excited!

Mtn, I will be there the first week of March. (That's probably late winter, not early spring.) Oh my, what fun it would be to meet you if you happened to be in the city at the same time!

I have a lot to look into, don't I? I have long considered London fascinating and compare being there to like being caught up in a great machine that just keeps moving and moving. I think NY must have that same sort of feel, no?

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Almost forgot that my company has negotiated rates with a number of NYC hotels. I definitely need to look into that. Once you add tax and a resort fee onto most of the "cheaper" rates I'm finding, the price climbs quickly!

• Feathers11
    5 years ago

NYC is one of my favorite places. To say, "I have 1 day in NYC" is like saying "I have 1 day in the United States." I'd narrow down what appeals to you. My visits have focused on museums, architecture, food, history, fashion, botanical, and so on. Pick a theme that you enjoy and choose your destinations from there. But know you'll be back. You can't just visit once... it's an amazing place.

Subway is always safe and definitely during regular hours but it cheats you of the sites. I don't mind sitting in a cab in traffic with a window view of the city. I've had good luck with uber but I'm still an old-school cab hailer.

User thanked Feathers11
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Ooh, go see Hamilton!

User thanked bpath
  • User
    5 years ago

If you choose the MMA, be aware that the posted “entry fee” is voluntary. It is, however, worth every penny at the posted fee. While I walk a lot in the city, it’s not time efficient when your destinations are spread out. I used Lyft to get to and from the Guggenheim (Central Park), walked to the Rock, but again used Lyft to the 9/11 Memorial.

I wanna go back! Wah!

ETA: If the National Museum of the American Indian is really high on your list, that and the 9/11 Memorial will take up a whole day if you stay in Mid-town. Plus you should get your 9/11 entry ticket before you leave TX.

User thanked User
  • jill302
    5 years ago

Last time we went to NYC we stayed at Hampton Inn on 8th Street in Mid-town. I would recommend it. Not fancy but very comfortable and easy to walk to so much. Decent buffet breakfast included. Had not been to NYC in many years and had our college age kids with us, their first trip and in-laws who are not much for walking far. We walked when they took their daily rest (Central Park, Times Square, Broadway, museums). I think Times Square was my least favorite of all the things we did, once and done. We did do the hop-on, hop off bus the afternoon we arrived. The main pick-up point is just a block or so from the Hampton. The bus was great for getting a sense of the city, additionally I love architecture and seeing all the buildings from the bus was a highlight for me. Want to try the architectural boat tour this fall. Another favorite was a concert in Bryant Park, stumbled across that on the way back from NYC Library visiting the original Winnie the Pooh and friends. There is so much too do. We did the 9/11 Memorial and it was very worthwhile but it took quite awhile to get there from mid-town. Not sure that I would do if I only had one day. Whatever you choose have a wonderful time! Can not wait for our next visit, we are going back for a few days pre-cruise this fall.

User thanked jill302
  • User
    5 years ago

Jill just said above what I was going to say....

If you're staying in midtown and only have 1 day, just keep in mind the travel time getting down to the 9/11 memorial and back is going to eat up a fair part of the day.

My vote is to stay close to midtown b/c there are approximately a million things you can do there just on foot. Heck, even Central Park isn't a bad walk, plus Broadway and Times Square are all right there.

Then again, if you want to get a feel for the size and density of the city, along with feeling the pain of trying to move around within it, then maybe a trip downtown will give you a worth while experience.

Midtown is extremely walk-able. I always get lost in lower Manhattan, the spaghetti bowl-layout of those streets gets me every time. I'm rarely down there which doesn't help either though.

User thanked User
  • Sueb20
    5 years ago

If I only had one day, I would skip the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island because that's pretty much a whole day right there, especially getting to and from midtown. If it's nice, walk, walk, walk. I have been to NYC alone and never felt unsafe walking in midtown. Highline and Chelsea market are great for exploring (and eating), too. Are they still skating at Rockefeller in March? If so, that's something to see (or do! but you need timed tickets). Stay out of Times Square. Too congested and nothing really worth seeing IMO. Again, with limited time, I'd stay out of the subway and take taxis or uber -- stay above ground so you can continue to see the city!

If it happens to be unseasonably warm, you might try to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Out of your way if you're staying in midtown, but you'll see the Statue of Liberty from there and if you make it across to DUMBO, it's a cool area to see.

We try to get to NYC once a year, but we haven't been in a couple of years now. Wish I lived closer -- I'd meet up with you along with Mtn!

User thanked Sueb20
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

If the weather is decent and you like walking, then I'd walk the midtown area...St Pat's cathedral, a stroll up 5th ave to see the stores, central park with the horse drawn carriages, maybe up to the zoo, rockefeller center, times square, bryant park, the public library, or down to the Morgan if you're a fan of Tolkien...they have something on there through May.

I too enjoyed the high line...much faster way to walk the city as you're above the street so no need to stop at every intersection...you can get a glimpse of the statue of liberty from there and there's a nice spot to get a shot of the empire state building...which you can head up to the top of if you want some nice views.

If the weather is not nice for walking, then I'd focus my time on museums of which there are so many.

User thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

bpath Oh Sophie, as much as I love Hamilton, to get tickets this close to IdaClaire's visit would require a significant expenditure of funds (they are only available on the secondary market). There are a lot of other great shows playing, many have discounted tickets available.

User thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Ida,

I'm in NYC one day a week for work, but I go in pretty often for fun too. My girls have spring break in March and i booked a few days in Brooklyn this time, for a change. OMG the cutest AirBnb.

Anyway, if our schedules meshed it'd be fun to meet. Of course, I myself am not a beloved, renowned NYC tourist attraction, so I would not want to hog your time when you have so much else to see and do! In any event, happy to help and it would be fun to meet up if you wanted (I bet we could get some tag alongs here too!). You can DM me I think.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

I vote for walking too - and it's easy to judge how far something is if you're walking north or south - 20 blocks is about one mile and it takes 1 to 2 minutes to walk it you keep a consistent pace and don't encounter too many school groups or tourists. Walking east - west varies since the size of the blocks are not uniform. Google maps will estimate walking times for you too.

As others have said lower Manhattan is much more confusing since it doesn't follow the grid.

correction: Thank you Maddilee! I certainly didn't phrase that correctly. It takes about 1 to 2 minutes to walk a block.

I

User thanked maire_cate
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, now my plans have changed a bit to include a couple of my fellow meeting attendees who also want to stay over and see some of the city. One of them has been to NYC many times and knows her way around well, so that will be a big help. We're thinking of sharing a room or two, depending on how many of us end up staying. I wonder if there are any decent hotels in midtown that offer triple rooms?

Mtn, you are absolutely wonderful to offer to meet! Let me see how this shakes out with my colleagues, and I'll be in touch.

• maddielee
    5 years ago

“ - 20 blocks is about one mile and it takes 1 to 2 minutes to walk it you keep a consistent pace and don't encounter too many school groups or tourists.”

This made me smile, it’s faster then an Olympic runner.

• Kitchenwitch111
    5 years ago

With just one day in NYC, I wouldn’t go to a museum unless it was raining (the city in the rain can be pretty miserable). Otherwise, dress for the weather and wear walking shoes and be part of the city! Walk around in mid-town and window shop down 5th Avenue. The lobby in Trump Tower is a public space, so if you want to see that, you can. People line up across the street to take selfies with TT behind them (often with a middle finger salute). Central Park is nice to wander into. I would suggest the Top of the Rock for high city views and you can see both the Empire State Building and the World Trade Center from there. It’s $37.00 a ticket, so make sure you can spend some time there. Check out Macy’s just because, and it’s near Times Square – you just need to look at Time Square to get the gist of it. If you get tired of walking, take a taxi instead of the subway since you want to see the city (taxis take debit or credit cards or cash). I haven’t been to the 9/11 museum, but I’ve been to the outdoor memorial with the fountains in the footprints of the original buildings. The Oculus subway station there is worth popping into just to see it. If you’re all the way down there, the Staten Island Ferry is free and gives great views of the city but it’s 25 minutes each way, so that could eat up your time.

This might be useful: https://www.urbanadventures.com/blog/how-to-hail-cab-nyc.html

I live about an hour from NYC and would love to join a group to see you if that happens.

User thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • User
    5 years ago

https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/new-york-bus-tours

This ^ can be (if you choose) part of this pass. (I personally haven't used it, but we used a similar one in England a while back)....

https://www.newyorkpass.com/new-york-attractions/

User thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

“ - 20 blocks is about one mile and
    it takes 1 to 2 minutes to walk it you keep a consistent pace and don't
    encounter too many school groups or tourists.”

This made me smile, it’s faster then an Olympic runner.

That made me smile too....but then I realized I think she meant it only takes a minute or two to walk each block - not the whole mile. :)

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Last time I went to NYC with some friends we mostly walked, (although we did take the subway from midtown to lower Manhattan). By that time we were exhausted. We took the Staten Island Ferry out and back to rest, just for the views and because cost wise it the best deal to see NY harbor. I didn't know then about the boat tours and I've been told they are great, but I wouldn't go in March, too cold! If I had to do it again I would have taken one of those bus tours. That doesn't preclude walking, but it's a way to quickly hit some of the highlights and then you can focus on the one or two other things you want to do. There's something for everyone so I agree on deciding what your taste is. The folks I was with last time were into the architecture. I have not done several of the museums (Nat. History and MoMA) so I'd really appreciate doing that myself. Some day I want to take a culinary tour. The High Line gardens are famous but wouldn't be that great in March. Anyway, my .02 was to recommend at least investigating one of the open bus tours.

User thanked l pinkmountain
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Ida, sounds like you have a plan! Totally understand if a GTG doesn't fit in with such limited time, but if it does, happy to arrange/coordinate.

• User
    5 years ago

I would definitely try to go for a walk through Central Park, it's really a treat. The High Line is very nice but I'm not sure how much will be blooming in March. I would try to go to either MOMA or the Met. The Met's pay-as-you-wish policy mentioned upthread is no longer in effect, it is now $25 for out-of-state visitors, unfortunately, for a ticket that is good for three days. The Met is currently having an exhibition of Native American art that you might like to check out, it's there till early October.

The Art of Native America

I take the subway and bus every day in Manhattan and I really don't mind it at all, even late at night sometimes. The subway is much better in March than in the heat of the summer, and is usually much faster than a cab. Traffic can be really horrible in Manhattan. There is an app called Citymapper which is very good for telling you exactly how to get from point A to point B using public transport and how long it will take. Also, there is a local uber-type of company (app) called Via which is cheaper than Uber or Lyft, especially if you do shared rides. Even if you don't do a shared ride it is still cheaper.

I just remembered there is also an exhibition running thru April at the Guggenheim which I haven't been to yet but plan to attend. It's the work of a female abstract painter whose work has been rather unknown (from early 1900's) and looks to be very beautiful. The Guggenheim is a short walk from the Met.

Hilma af Klint

There is also a Frida Kahlo exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum but you need to purchase the tickets ahead of time for this.

If you don't want to spend a lot on a Broadway show, there are many other entertainment options that are much less expensive. I just saw a great jazz performance at the Village Vanguard, an old iconic jazz club in the Village for I think $35 a ticket. It is packed very tight, but is a true New York experience. I would definitely try to get down to the Village if you have time, it's extremely charming! Joe's Pub at the Public Theater also offers quirky interesting shows and is not terribly expensive. You have to buy a drink but still, not that bad. Also, Chinatown is really something but you probably won't have time. I like to go to some of the small dive noodle shops, they are very good!

Eataly is fun, not sure how to describe it. It sells anything Italian relating to food and wine. There are wine bars, salumerias, cooking equipment, cookbooks. There is a cute rooftop restaurant with a bar. It's very touristy but still fun. It's in the Flatiron neighborhood. The Flatiron Building is just across the street, it's worth going there just to see this gorgeous building.

Eataly Flatiron

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure you will have a blast! If I were you, I would try to stay a bit longer. There is so much to see in New York. Can you add on one more day?

User thanked User
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Yes to Eataly! My portion was too small. :P (It was regular-sized but it was sooooo good.) There's also a Nutella café in there. The whole place was packed though. The Flatiron building might be my favourite. Jazz in the Village was part of my first experience to New York. Heartily recommend as well. We went to The Blue Note.

User thanked tartanmeup
  • User
    5 years ago

I just remembered another great show. There's a comedy group in NYC called the Upright Citizens Brigade, or the UCB. There are a few locations, I go to the one in Hell's Kitchen. It's an improv group, in a tiny theater, usually around twelve bucks and it is a riot.

User thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

I was extremely disappointed in Eataly NYC after Chicago. I had hoped the af Klint exhibition would have expired by March. I admire her productivity, but she lacks diversity. The Brancusi though is eye opening. Great jazz in Hell’s Kitchen.

User thanked User
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    5 years ago

The village Vanguard is right around the corner from Buvette!

User thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still have SO much to consider and decide on, but wanted to say that I've now decided to stay over for two nights so will have a bit more time, and also reserved a room at the Salisbury on 57th Street, a very short stroll from Central Park. The hotel is older (right next to the Calvary Baptist Cathedral; I believe the hotel building is actually owned by the church), and a bit shabby -- but in that way it reminds me of places I've stayed in London. As I was perusing the hotel's website and considering a very decent sale rate of $120 per night for a king room, the site suddenly changed and showed a dropped price of $48 (!) for the last king room available on my chosen arrival night. I hopped on that like a cat on a paper bag! So, while not the most glamorous accommodation in the city, the location is amazing. I'm really excited, but truly overwhelmed at the choices I now have to make as to what will fill my time. My friends have not fully committed to staying over, but I suspect they will. Even if they don't, I'm going to have fun!

• eld6161
    5 years ago

So glad you decided to extend your stay. It was something I wanted to suggest but didn't feel it was my place.

NYC truly is amazing. I know you will have a great time.

User thanked eld6161
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Oh, I'm excited for you, IdaClaire! If you enjoyed London, chances are good you'll appreciate New York.

User thanked tartanmeup
  • User
    5 years ago

Now you will have some time for just walking around in addition to some pre-planned activities!

User thanked User
  • Renovator Girl
    5 years ago

If you're staying two days, my favorite thing to do is to take the Staten Island Ferry at sunset. Free and spectacular! Here's a video to you from us New Yorkers with some surprisingly good tourist tips: Johnny T's NYC Tourist Tips

User thanked Renovator Girl
  • Funkyart
    5 years ago

The last time I stayed in the city, it was on the upper east side between 5th and Madison-- it was nice and quiet but SO nice and quiet, it didn't really feel like the city. It worked out fine for me because I was working and it was close to my client... but it wouldn't be the area I'd go if I was doing the site seeing tour.

I don't know the Salisbury but it looks like a convenient location and you'll definitely get a feel for the city.

I think you'll be glad to have booked the extra day! It will give you time to just explore -- which I think is the best way to get a true feel for NYC.

User thanked Funkyart
  • texanjana
    5 years ago

You will love it-DD and I are going back in March and we can’t wait. We will be there the 10-16. Mtn-when will you be there? Would love to get together again!

User thanked texanjana
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Jana, that would be fun! We have the cutest AirBnB March 11-14 in Brooklyn, but we might add a day on either end in Manhattan too ... haven't decided for sure. Would love to get together again!

• Anne
    5 years ago

Did not reAd all the responses but I always stayed in the garment district. Now I have family (and they know everywhere which is fun) when I used to go for work I always walked the city. For tourist things do not miss the public library and a little of Central Park (huge) I always ask where should I go other then tourist spots. The highline(sp?) is a good “hike” and I highly recommend the tenement museum www.tenement.org.

User thanked Anne
Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living