SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caseybauer

HVAC for architect-designed new construction in MA

caseyb
5 years ago

We have a fabulous design, from an aesthetic point of view, and ample mechanic room spaces top and bottom, but of course there are a couple of steel beams and several massive LVLs involved, and a few other features that make it challenging to figure out ductwork. We are looking seriously at a Zehnder ventilation system, and a Unico high-velocity cooling system. (Heating will be all hydronic radiant.) I am curious if any [semi-]professionals on this site have experience with considering a high-velocity/mini-duct system in new construction, and why you did or did not favor that option. We put the Unico cooling system in our current house some 14 years ago, and I know it is louder than other options. However, we might be willing to accept that in exchange for less trouble with ducting. I would be especially pleased if I thought it was an energy-saving option, as well - I have seen hints of that possibility. We are building (GC'ing ourselves) a fairly tight house, with a great deal of attention to appropriate barrier layers, sealing, limiting penetrations, insulation, European-style windows, etc.

Thank you!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012