SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acarsme

Establishing asiatic jasmine on steep hillside...

acarsme
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

So I just dropped a TON of money online with a web site that offers Snow-N-Summer variety asian jasmine. I want to plant this on my hillside that's pretty steep. Last year I tried planting vinca minor, and it all died. The problem with my hillside is that it gets covered with tall aggressive weeds every spring/summer. And with the hill being so steep it's very difficult and physically exhausting to weed it as much as it needs it. So last year the weeds just got out of hand and choked out all my vinca minor plants.

With me having spent so much money on these new asian jasmine plants, I can't afford to have them die. I assume what I need to do is come up with a mulch game plan. I understand with the hill being steep it may be hard to keep the mulch in place though. My idea was to maybe put the mulch down, then cover and tack down a jute erosion control blanket on top of the mulch to help keep it in place. Do you think this would work? Also, what kind of mulch would be idea? Anything particularly good with asiatic jasmine? Seems like Lowes sells shredded pine bark mulch that gets good reviews......but I'm not sure if this would be good for my situation or not. I know pine mulch can make soils acidic. Thanks.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living