Best canned pumpkin for soup and muffins ?

linnea56

I use pumpkin puree mostly for soup, but sometimes for a pumpkin muffins or quickbread.

The last few times it did not taste much like pumpkin. I ended up having to double the amount of pumpkin puree I put in the pumpkin curry soup I made yesterday. But I certainly can’t double the pumpkin in muffins.

I bought Aldi’s brand and Stokely’s most recently, now those plus some local store brands are off the list. Tasted like nothing much of anything!

I cooked and froze a few pumpkins this fall, but that is long gone, and my freezer is small to begin with.

Can anyone recommend a brand that tastes like pumpkin? Thanks

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

When I buy commercialy canned pumpkin, I usually buy Libby's. it's more expensive but it's also more consistent. Like you, I've found that some of the less expensive brands don't always have a lot of pumpkin flavor.

I'm still using the Hokkaido and Butternut squash that I grew, and have found them to be a very flavorful and acceptable pumpkin substitute.

Annie

1 Like Save     Thanked by linnea56
plllog

We still have baking pumpkins in the market. I prefer it. But for baking, I've also used Trader Joe's organic, which I like a lot better than other brands I've tried. It's pumpkinier. I've read that some are really other kinds of squash. TJ's says it is just pumpkin, though I don't know how specific the legal definition of pumpkin is. It's also less likely to have water separated out.

Save     Thanked by linnea56
linnea56

"pumpkinier", yes, that's what I need!

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"though I don't know how specific the legal definition of pumpkin is"

There is NO legal definition of pumpkin :-) It is just a common name assigned to some varieties of winter squash, Cucurbita pepo.

I use Libby's as well - 100% pumpkin (or Cucurbita pepo) and I have never found it lacking in flavor or with a tendency to separate.

I agree the best and most flavorful pumpkin meat comes from sugar pumpkins but they have a pretty short shelf time however other sweet, orange fleshed winter squash like Hubbard, butternut or acorn can work equally as well.....but maybe not taste quite as pumpkin-y!

Martha Scott

I like Libby's and even though more expensive, it's what I use!

chloebud

Libby's, for sure.

bragu_DSM 5

ditto

sooz

Another vote for Libby's, although I've had really good results with canned pumpkin from Trader Joe's as well.

sheilajoyce_gw

Libby's

lindac92

Libby Libby Libby on the label label label....(showing my age)

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I have a couple flat packed in the freezer from the garden. Roasted a combination of traditional pumpkin and some winter squash.

I keep a can in the pantry that is good. Should do a side by side taste test with Libby.

chloebud

sooz mentioned TJ's canned pumpkin. I've used it with good results.

linnea56

This is pretty unanimous! Thank you all. Libby's and Trader Joe's it is.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Holidays Pretty Up Pumpkins With Paint
Put down the carving knife — we've got a better way to prep your pumpkins for Halloween
Full Story
Fall Gardening Join Us for a Parade of Pumpkins
Fall eye candy: Get to know 9 winter squash varieties, including Long Island Cheese and Blue Hubbard
Full Story
Summer Fruits and Vegetables Summer Crops: How to Grow Pumpkins
Start in spring to grow your own fall decorations and have plenty left for pies
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More