SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric904

Help with setting up a mixed flowering hedge

100 904
5 years ago

Hello

We are trying to plan a hedge to put on a fence line.

The fence is 160 ft long, runs north south and is on the east side of the house.

zone 8b - northwest Washington - sandy soil - partial shade - from the cedar.

The cedar tree on the north and south end of the line is about 30-40 ft off the fence - west of the fence. - I attached an image of the layout.

The red line is the fence, the brown line is where i want the hedge.

Im thinking i should plant the shrubs about 5 ft in front of the fence assuming it will grow a couple ft wide - this will leave 2-3 ft behind the shrub and fence.

i forgot to add the house but there is a little square where the 15' and 10' line meet. the house is probably 6 squares to the right.

so from the house, you see the hedge and the hedge should hide the fence. Then there is a cedar way left and a cedar to the right

The 2 trees on the image are actually cedar trees. the soil below it is acidic and then the shadow.

I would like the shrub to be 8ft tall plus, i want it to be thick so it will keep the dog in the yard, i read that it should be a mix of evergreen and Deciduous but if this is for a privacy fence, do i really want bushes that leaves fall off every year?

I want some to flower in spring and some other stuff to flower in fall and summer

I also think i would like 2 rows of shrubs so it meshes together a little bit better.

I would then like to put smaller flowers infront of this living shrub

and then maybe some dwarf trees infront of this living shrub - i like the sugar maples with the red/orange leaves.

i have 4 sweet Viburnum (can grow to 8 ft + )and 7 viburnum sweet bouquet (5 ft) in 1 and/or 2 gallon pots waiting to be planted.

I also have a list of plants that should work from the local nursery but im

not sure how to lay it all out so it looks nice and complete 5 years from now.

Would you do a solid green hedge in the back and then the smaller more colorful plants in front (2 rows of shrubs) or would you just mix the shrubs that are full of color through out the space?

what % should be evergreen what % should be Deciduous?

should i stick to 3 or 4 types of shrubs in this space or can i put 50 different types of shrubs in this space? if i go two rows i think i would need about 80 shrubs?

can i start with one gallon pots and have a hedge that is 5 ft tall within 2-3 years? or should i start with 5 gallon pots... i have time to wait but im not sure how much time this all takes.

i have a good idea of what plants can be planted, i actually have a list from the nursery but im not sure how to lay it all out, if these plants grow well together, or if they will look well together all said and done.

By layout i mean, if a sweet viburnum goes here and will be about 8 ft wide, where should the California Wax Myrtle go, what about the Mock Orange, what about X, y, and Z?

All said and done, i do not think i will like the look of a big bush that has white flowers, next to a big bush with red flowers, next to gold flowers. i do not want a stop and start look, i want a blended look - does this even make sense?

Thanks

Signed - confused.

Comments (30)