SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noahsmom

Ikea, Axstad. A new cabinet door style....white shaker!

Terri Wilson
5 years ago

Great news for Ikea fans! They’ve released a new cabinet door style. White shaker.

Comments (125)

• minhan
    3 years ago

@Ash Y...i was thinking about using ikea axstad doors in white for the uppers and SH shaker doors in gray for the bottom...bc i really like their colors better but wasn’t sure if they would look ok together. thanks!

• Ash Y
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ahh ok, well then my edited comment won't help at all, lol sorry.

However, I also just noticed that the Axstad doors are also available in matte gray on the Ikea website now. Maybe those have always existed and I just never knew?

• Related Discussions

Replacement for discont. Ikea birch shaker doors? Diff. cab. company?

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm aware of those, just wondering if there is any other line we should look at also, since having to get cabinets from ikea and doors from elsewhere adds complications. I'm also kind of annoyed with ikea for discontinuing a nice basic door style. (I thought I did post in kitchens, did I get it somewhere else also with the new website arrangement?)
    ...See More

NEW Ikea door styles up on website!

Q

Comments (20)
    Ramsjo and Laxarby weren't the same. Ramsjo had a wash/stain kind of finish--you could see the grain through it, and it had wide stiles and beading. Laxarby was a plain paint finish with narrow, plain stiles. I'm confused by your bodbyn question. I totally see what you mean about grimslov--that's just life in the foil lane, but bodbyn is a raised panel door. ETA Okay, i see what you mean. Yeah, I can see how that might bother you. Their polyester paint goes on super thick on all the painted door styles. It's not a look I love, either, but I guess that's part of what drives the market for custom door styles.
    ...See More

I spy a bright white cabinet door at IKEA! Axstad matte white

Q

Comments (62)
    @tee8 We just got this fridge for the remodel and it’s working great. We wanted the in-door ice and this model has that without making the left hand door feel too bulky. We had a standard depth side-by-side from the 90’s before buying this one. It only stuck out a few more inches but I think it makes the kitchen feel totally different to have everything flush. In the tight U layout, every inch counts. Space-wise I much prefer the top/bottom fridge! I have no idea if we gained or lost cubic foot storage but it feels like everything fits so much better.
    ...See More

Dark Gray Axstad IKEA Cabinets!

Q

Comments (49)
    We hadn't yet put on toekicks or trim pieces, but we redid our kitchen in the Axstad gray and the black island that appears to not be available anymore. Tingsryd? Something like that. I'd wanted a navy but that wasn't available then. Looks like it is now though. Hardware is from Amazon. We've had it all in since April of 2020. It's worn wonderfully, still looks new. If the fingers are particularly greasy, it will show them, but otherwise it's not really noticeable, imo. I just wipe them down every so often and it's fine.
    ...See More
  • minhan
    3 years ago

@Ash Y - i’m actually surprised at how similar the quality is!! ikea has stepped up their game with the newer cabinets. yes axstad has gray but i was hoping for a lighter gray for our kitchen. it looks like ikea has another lighter gray shaker option. i think i will need to drive out to the store and see them in person. thank you SOOOO much for your help!

• Brooklyn
    3 years ago

@minhan I got the Ikea cabinets in the lighter grey shaker style - you can see my picture up thread. I love them! Real wood - not foil wrapped - and true shaker. They feel very durable.

• minhan
    3 years ago

@Brooklyn absolutely stunning!!!! since my kitchen is small and doesn’t get the best light i was thinking about doing the white axstad for the cabinets and the island in the lighter gray...i think i am going to stop by a store and see if they are similar enough to be able to do that.

• Brooklyn
    3 years ago

Oh yes, go take a look. My take is that they are not really similar - different texture, different sheen, different shaker edge detail - but depending on how your island is positioned and how much of your cabinets and island you can see at the same time, you could get away with it. Alternatively, if you wanted to have some variation, you could do all Grey cabinets, and then do a different type of countertop on the island.

I have a lot of light so I went the other direction and did the matching black door for the island.

• laughingfrog
    3 years ago

I just wanted to follow up on my comment about comparing Axstad white cabinet doors with the Semi Handmade doors. Having read a gazillion blogs about the difference in the two doors, I wanted to clear it up. The Axstad foil wrapped doors are actually thicker than the semi Handmade foil-wrapped doors, not thinner as I was led to believe. Asxtad are a true crisp white, whereas SHM describes theirs as "a softer white" (a little more towards cream). Side by side, everyone I showed them to preferred the axstad, hands down. And everyone was surprised they looked so nice. This is relevant for those looking for a white kitchen. SHM would be the choice if you wanted a kitchen that is a different color. SHM makes a DIY wooden door that can be painted any color you wish. However, you must do the painting. Or hire someone to do it. I am extremely picky about quality and details. Even so, I like the look of Ikea kitchens, and decided to go the $8000 route, rather than the $80,000 bid from a local company. Granted it isn't the inset doors I originally wanted, but with the savings I can get beautiful fixtures, lights, and appliances. Also the warranty is unbelievable with Ikea...25 years! SHM was 1 year as I recall. I will post photos when the kitchen is completed. (Side note: ordering and delivery is somewhat of a nightmare at the moment. They have assured me they are scrambling as fast as they can to revamp online ordering, delivery, packaging during the pandemic.) There is actually an app that texts you when your local store is taking pick-up orders....you have to make an appointment. It's called Click & Collect...designed by a frustrated Ikea shopper.

• Lynn
    3 years ago

I’m very happy with my axstad cabinets. The thickness of the doors is like 3/4 thick. They have cleaned up very well for me with a dry erase sponge. The white really is a crisp white, and the soft close doors are amazing, especially since I have a family that loves to throw them closed. I’m hoping they wear well and don’t fade. I’m taking precautions like keeping the sun from hitting them directly for hours. I still have to install crown molding, toe kicks, fridge enclosure, and fix the lower wall cabinet molding in 2 places, but hubby and I aren’t in a hurry. We‘re taking it easy after a hectic install during the height of quarantine. It will all get done.... by fall hopefully lol, including painting and touch up work.

fyi- skip the plastic Capita adjustable feet and go with the sturdier metal capita feet. I had no idea they existed until AFTER our install. I would have preferred those over the plastic ones.

• cyc2001
    3 years ago

Destiny, thank you for the information. Your kitchen is so pretty, I love it! Great job! Did you do the assembly and install yourselves?

• Adam Judge
    3 years ago

• Adam Judge
    3 years ago

Little update from us, still some decorating do and shelves to put up but very happy with the kitchen so far, cleans up well and the ovens and hob are great!

• Ash Y
    3 years ago

Are you happy with the blue Adam? My kitchen is waaaaaay smaller, but still want that pop of color.

• Adam Judge
    3 years ago

Yes it’s what we were hoping for, very much like it

• Lynn
    3 years ago

Thank you! We did assemble and install ourselves (as best we could). The backsplash tiler had difficulties because the walls weren’t completely straight and cabs were in a smidge off. But he was great and was able to get the tiles on beautifully.

• cedi williams
    3 years ago

has anyone had luck matching Paint for axstad white? Need to paint some custom pieces for our IKEA kitchen

• cedi williams
    3 years ago

Adam, did you do the IKEA built in dishwasher and panel? if so, which did you select and are happy with it’s performance? And could you post pics of the island toekick finish?

• cyc2001
    3 years ago

Hi cedI and Adam, I’m interested in this question too. I’m getting a Bosch 800 panel-ready dishwasher now to replace my broken DW and pray that the Axstad panel will fit!

• cedi williams
    3 years ago

ctc2001 - I did extensive research on built in dishwashers. that ikea panel will fit the Bosch and Zline 24” built in dishwashers. I opted for the IKEA Vaskad model but we haven’t installed it yet.

• cyc2001
    3 years ago

Thank you so much cedi!

• Brooklyn
    3 years ago

Definitely fits! I just installed one on my Bosch 800

• cyc2001
    3 years ago

Thank you Brooklyn! That makes me feel better. I took a risk ordering the dishwasher without knowing for sure if it would fit. I can’t wait for the dishwasher to be installed on Monday, going on 2 months without one.

• Ash Y
    3 years ago

Cedi, do you know which dimensions exactly to pay the most attention to when finding a panel ready dishwasher for ikea doors? I’ll be getting an 18” dw

• cedi williams
    3 years ago

@Ash Y, The “dishwasher panel” that IKEA sells for panel ready models is just a cabinet door. The 24x30 door fits standard 24” dishwashers and the 18x30 door fits 18” dishwashers. I know the IKEA 18” door will fit the both the Bosch and Zline 18” models. Because I considered a smaller dishwasher for about 5 seconds and went down the rabbit hole researching all the specs.

• Ash Y
    3 years ago

That’s what I figured but your “extensive research” comment made me worried I may have missed some critical measurement lol

• bragger35
    3 years ago

@adamjudge did you go with the dark cabinets and use edge banding for around the outside of the cabinets. I am looking at doing the Axstad blue but i don't want any black or white from the cabinet boxes showing. I am having a hard time matching the colour of the Blue to an edge banding colour

• Ash Y
    3 years ago

I ended up using the axstad blue on my lowers, and while you can see a tiny bit of the white boxes, it’s barely noticeable at all Unless you look for it. If you are bothered by it though I can’t help lol. Can’t you just paint match it and then paint the outside edges of the cabinet box?

• tanya817
    3 years ago

Hi @Adam Judge, do you mind telling me what integrated venting hob you went for? I am getting so confused trying to research which to buy and my head is ready to explode! Are you happy with it and how noisy/quiet is it? Also, how well does it actually extract (do you have recirculating or ducted?) Sorry for the barrage of questions! Thanks!

• jeri
    3 years ago

What have all of you used to match the white color? We want to paint all doors and trim in the house to match this white – or at least be close!

What about Sheen? These doors/drawers are a Mate finish, does this make matching it harder? I mean, if I find a chip that matches the color and then paint it with an eggshell or stain sheen, is it then going to not match? Does this question make sense? :-)

• Ash Y
    3 years ago

Jeri, Behr’s ultra pure white is the closest I’ve seen.

• cedi williams
    3 years ago

Jeri, we did a custom hood to match the cabinets and I tried several paint options before settling on Home Depot’s Behr ultra pure white. I bought it in a satin for durability and then after letting it sit for a 7 days I went over it with modern masters dead flat varnish to get the matte finish of the cabinets. You could buy eggshell finish or flat finish and I think it would match well.

• Adam Judge
    3 years ago

@tanya817 we went for the IKEA own branded one. Very happy with it. We have it ducted out the side of the house. noise levels are pretty good and extract is decent enough. I notice some does escape and Not get sucked down but I figure traditional overheads don’t capture all of the steam etc.

• Adam Judge
    3 years ago

@bragger35 no we didnt add any edging, just got the black carcasses. You’d be hard pressed to notice the black between the blue,

more like a shadow gap. To be honest it wouldn’t be worth playing with it.

• Dana Windsor
    3 years ago

@Adam Judge How did you get the dark cabinet boxes, I don't see it as an option on the Ikea website.

• adam Judge
    3 years ago

@Dana Windsor I think it was in store when we went in to verify our design

• Ash Y
    3 years ago

For some inexplicable reason, IKEA sells ONLY white cabinet boxes in America. Only in other countries can you get other options like the birch of dark black/brown.

I have the white boxes with dark blue doors, and it doesn't bother me at all honestly. If it did bother you could probably just buy some dark edge banding.

• wiscokid
    3 years ago

You could get the dark boxes in the US for many years but they didn’t sell very well so they discontinued them here.

• sparkshooter
    3 years ago

I spent A LOT of time finding an edgeband match for the dark blue axstad cabinets. The formica "nocturne" colour is a pretty good match (definitely darker, but a good shade of dark blue that coordinates very well.) I ultimately was able to buy press and stick edgebanding with the help of a friend tradesman through a company that only sells to the trade. Cost about $100 including shipping for 600 ft - so much more than I need. I also looked at purchasing through this company and using either contact cement or buying the peel/stick backing separately: https://www.holdahlcompany.com/wt-20131m-1516 

It was important to my partner that we use white cabinets for brightness (we have lots of glass uppers) and important to me that the white not peak through on the frames. So extra money and extra work, but the result is exactly what we want.

• Laura Mirabella
    3 years ago

Will this door work with billy half-height bookcases?

• Nolan Grady
    3 years ago

@Sparkshooter - any interest in selling some of your leftover edge banding? I’m installing Axstad blue next week!

• sparkshooter
    3 years ago

@Nolan Grady - I’m located in Toronto, Canada, but open to this! 600 ft was heavy but the amount you actually need shouldn’t be crazy. I think I have now enabled messaging for my account, which you can get to by clicking on my picture.

• Sel Bee
    2 years ago

@Katie Jones I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering how the axstad have held up! I'm looking to do my kitchen and I'm torn between the painted bodbyn and the foil axstad. I keep reading that foil is not as good or durable as painted, and I'm trying to find reviews for axstad after being subject to use!! Have there been any issues? Are they as good as new still?

• Terri Wilson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Sel Bee.....I'm about a month away from ordering Axstad for a very large kitchen. I ordered a door just to get a good look at it. It seems very well made to me. I've had the door in my car being bumped around and exposed to heat and cold for about a year now and it still looks great. Before putting it out there, I also dropped soy sauce and ketchup on it. It wiped off without stains and I had left it on it over night. My only complaint is the slight rough texture on the inner bevel. Not noticeable unless you are up close though.

• Sel Bee
    2 years ago

@Terri Wilson wow, you really put it to the test! Thanks so much for this response. I keep reading mixed reviews about the foil, but I really wanted a bright white kitchen and bodbyn is off-white! My current cabinets are bm Chantilly lace and I love how bright they are. We are moving and the entire kitchen in our new home has to be done but we have so much other work to do we decided to go with ikea doors this time instead of building our own.

I might just go for axstad! Thanks again for this response :)

• tanya817
    2 years ago

I've just left an IKEA store after a kitchen design appointment and I have to say, the axtad doors in white look cheap. In the navy they look amazing though.

• cedi williams
    2 years ago

I've had the Axstad white in my home (3 messy kids) for almost a year and they look new still. We have several of the panels installed around built in fridge and around range hood, they look great too!

• wiscokid
    2 years ago

Search for the blue axstad thread where you can see all the people who have issues with the matte finish on any of the axstad colors. I had bought one of each of the doors and did tests. No problems getting stains off but getting fingerprints off took far more effort than I cared to expel and without wiping they were very visible, especially from an angle - which wasn’t acceptable to me. Ymmv

• Debbie L
    2 years ago

@Terri Wilson We did a pretty large order of axstad too. $13,000 which was available over several months. Definitely delayed during a pandemic. I posted my old kitchen and was advised to check out the axstad and after going to several cabinet/ kitchen companies and seeing what we could get it, it was an easy decision. Getting an experienced installer to do the customizing we wanted has been a challenge as well, but we are in the thick of it right now. I think we will love it when it's done. We are also replacing a large upstairs cabinet, 2 built in hutches and a laundry room, several with base cabinets that needed to be cut to fit the proper depth. Good luck with your project.

Terri Wilson thanked Debbie L
  • wreckless13
    2 years ago

wiscokid, I'm interested in your comments. My application would be a shop where 'perfect' would not be necessary, but I do have hesitation about the cleanability of the matte finish. By "finngerprints" do you mean simply skin oils, not actual dirt and/or stain? And what cleaning solutions did you try? Windex? 409?

• dove41
    2 years ago

I am following this thread because im either going to buy Ikea Axstad White Cabinets or Grimslov Off-White Cabinets. I like Ocean Foam, Organic White, Pebble, Symphony Gray or Piatra Dark Grey Ceasarstone Quartz countertops. I would love to see examples of these quartz countertops and cabinets.

• AA Byron
    9 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Trying to understand why Ikea got rid of their Grimslov white glossy Shaker doors and now all they have is either fake wood grain Shaker doors or matte Shaker doors...which are also matte?

How in the world would anyone with children keep matte doors clean? Not to mention that matte doors look ugly...but that's personal taste. Same goes for the fake wood grain.

So the most common (and popular) Ikea doors are no longer made...and these are the only two white options?