SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_berry10

I want to decorate my plant shelf with anything BUT plants.

Melissa Berry
5 years ago

I know this might be an un-popluar statement, but I've had faux plants and trees before and I just don't want to dust something that will take forever and look dusty again a week later. ( I live in Arizona, so this is not an exaggeration.)

So, I have a couple of ideas and I'm wondering what the pros think...

The plant shelf in question is at the top of the stairs (on the left side of the picture). You have a perfect view of it as you walk up the stairs. The room it overlooks is a two story room in the process of being turned into a library with a fireplace. The shelf measures about 5 feet wide and 3 and a quarter feet deep, which is really quite large for a purely decorative space.

Idea #1: I love the idea of displaying my vintage typewriter on a simple wood writing desk alongside a table lamp. A stool would be set in front of the desk. On the ground maybe a basket styled with a blanket for some texture and a vase or trunk by the legs of the desk to finish it off.

(The Husband isn't wild about this because he thinks it will look like a museum. I think it will set the scene for the item I so desperately want to admire every time I walk by.)

Idea #2 A dark teal cabinet (to tie into the family room that you can see at the back of the house, as well as the game room you cannot see but is off to the right before you get to the family room). A leather trunk, plus a couple of vases in tangerine and a neutral, and maybe still a basket with a blanket for texture. My husband thinks the typewriter would look nice displayed on a cabinet but I'm worried it will look weird and out of place. (No one ever used a typewriter on a cabinet, after all.)

No matter what we put up there, I think eventually we will tile it with the same wood tile that will be installed all throughout the first floor of the house.

So, what do you think of my ideas and do you have any other creative ideas for me to consider?

Comments (37)